PDA

View Full Version : MPB gene identified

Paul K
11-06-2005, 09:02
Yahoo news (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050610/hl_nm/genes_baldness_dc)

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Researchers in Germany have found that variations in a gene related to male sex hormones may be at the root of male-pattern baldness, the most common form of hair loss. The culprit is the androgen receptor gene, and it dwells on the X chromosome, which all men inherit from their mothers.

Experts have long believed that hair loss in inherited. But the new research, to be published in the American Journal of Human Genetics, is the first to identify a specific gene that may be involved, according to the study authors.

Other, yet-unidentified genes are likely involved in male-pattern baldness, possibly including ones handed down by fathers. But the new findings highlight the importance of mom's side of the family when it comes to a man's hairline, according to the study authors, led by Dr. Markus M. Nothen of the University of Bonn.
The researchers say they are continuing to hunt down the other genes involved in early-onset male-pattern baldness. Scientists hope that getting at the genetic roots of hair loss will eventually spawn better baldness treatments or a cure.
A few more years and there may even be a cure :)

Russ
12-06-2005, 10:56
:eek: :eek: :eek: :drool:

Angua
12-06-2005, 10:58
It was always said that baldness was passed down from the Mother????

Kaz61
12-06-2005, 11:04
Yahoo news (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050610/hl_nm/genes_baldness_dc)

A few more years and there may even be a cure :)

Wish they'd HURRY UP :(

Russ
12-06-2005, 11:05
I feel your pain..... :cry:

Paul K
12-06-2005, 11:06
:eek: :eek: :eek: :drool:
Well I was going to PM you about it but got told not to lol The way advances in genetics are being made it could be that sometime soon people won't have to worry about their hairlines receding faster than the current water reserves for Suffolk ;)

Russ
12-06-2005, 11:09
I never had a problem with a receeding hairline - I started losing it at the crown (apparently male hairloss comes in 2 forms depending on where it starts and 'treatments' for one will not neccessarily work for the other) and it spread all over.

Actually I look even more scary WITH hair - I tried on a joke wig recently and my daughter ran off screaming :(

Kaz61
12-06-2005, 11:15
Actually I feel quite lucky.....lucky in the fact that it's 'fashionable' to have your hair cut really really short or indeed shaved.....so going bald and I'm in fashion .....RESULT

Russ
12-06-2005, 11:19
Plus we save a fortune on hair gel and shampoo. My girlfriend once timed me at washing and drying my hair - 11 seconds :cool: :)

Graham
12-06-2005, 14:00
Plus we save a fortune on hair gel and shampoo. My girlfriend once timed me at washing and drying my hair - 11 seconds :cool: :)

You mean you don't just put it in the washing machine...?! :D

greencreeper
12-06-2005, 16:05
There's a lad at work, only 23 and he's bald already :disturbd: I'm doing alright so far, but I'm with you on the short hair being easier to manage. I once had shoulder length hair - had to wash it every day, took loads of shampoo, nightmare to dry. Much prefer a blades 2 and 4 cut :D When I look at men in a sexual way, I'm more turned off by long hair than by baldness :shrug: