PDA

View Full Version : Mike Tyson Vs Kevin McBride

BigDave1
10-06-2005, 23:05
Who do you think will win? I think if McBride can survive the first four rounds he will have a serious advantage over Tyson who will no doubt become very tired.

Escapee
10-06-2005, 23:35
Who do you think will win? I think if McBride can survive the first four rounds he will have a serious advantage over Tyson who will no doubt become very tired.

McBride is very upright and ponderous, even an old Tyson should catch up with him in a few rounds. I dont think his weight, height and reach advantage will be any good, Tyson should be able to walk straight through him. McBride is not noted for fast hands, big shots or a good chin, he was always talked up by Barry McGuigan when he was commentating as he was from Barry's area. (Clones from memory)

I think McBride is too upright,mechanical, stiff and will not handle an old Tyson. Unless of course Tyson is worse than he was for the Willams fight, at least Williams could take a decent shot, move and throw some big bombs himself.

iron25
10-06-2005, 23:36

The old Tyson of 1985-1987 would destroy him in 1 or 2 rounds but now Tyson relies on one or two big punches to do the job. I don't know much about McBride but I haven't heard of him until now so he can't be that good so I reckon if Tyson comes out swinging and does connect it should not last too long but if it does get past 5 rounds then Tyson's stamina comes into play.

It really is a shame about Tyson and what happened to him after Cus D'amato died, the discipline he was taught in the ring completely disappeared and this lead to his downfall. There's alot of debate about who's the greatest boxer and it's difficult to compare eras but Tyson was one of the greatest heavyweight boxers.

yesman
11-06-2005, 00:01
The old Tyson of 1985-1987 would destroy him in 1 or 2 rounds but now Tyson relies on one or two big punches to do the job. I don't know much about McBride but I haven't heard of him until now so he can't be that good so I reckon if Tyson comes out swinging and does connect it should not last too long but if it does get past 5 rounds then Tyson's stamina comes into play.

It really is a shame about Tyson and what happened to him after Cus D'amato died, the discipline he was taught in the ring completely disappeared and this lead to his downfall. There's alot of debate about who's the greatest boxer and it's difficult to compare eras but Tyson was one of the greatest heavyweight boxers.

Tyson is a brawler, not a boxer, Lennox lewis showed us that.
If a contest between Tyson and his opponent was not over in the first few rounds, more often than not, the opponent won.

As for Tyson being one of the greatest boxer's, he might get in the top twenty of all time, but would be placed in the lower part imo.

iron25
11-06-2005, 01:54
Tyson is a brawler, not a boxer, Lennox lewis showed us that.
If a contest between Tyson and his opponent was not over in the first few rounds, more often than not, the opponent won.

As for Tyson being one of the greatest boxer's, he might get in the top twenty of all time, but would be placed in the lower part imo.

The argument of the greatest heavyweights is all about opinions but I have to disagree about Tyson being a brawler, he might have ended up as a brawler but in his prime Tyson was a great boxer. He had a very good jab and used it to good affect and the head bobbing meant he was hard to hit. Add speed, strength and a rock hard chin into the equation and you end up with one of the best heavyweights in recent times.

I think you need to check his career record.

Lennox Lewis wouldn't even get into my top 10 list as I have never been that impressed by him. It could be that he is far too cautious and he is not as natural a fighter as a Tyson or Holyfield, also he doesn't have the best chin in the world either. I think he has been fortunate to be around in a time when the heavyweight division has not produced many good fighters. He has been the best heavyweight for the last 5 years but after Tyson I can only think of Evander Holyfield as a genuine heavyweight contender.

Escapee
11-06-2005, 07:07
The argument of the greatest heavyweights is all about opinions but I have to disagree about Tyson being a brawler, he might have ended up as a brawler but in his prime Tyson was a great boxer. He had a very good jab and used it to good affect and the head bobbing meant he was hard to hit. Add speed, strength and a rock hard chin into the equation and you end up with one of the best heavyweights in recent times.

I think you need to check his career record.

Lennox Lewis wouldn't even get into my top 10 list as I have never been that impressed by him. It could be that he is far too cautious and he is not as natural a fighter as a Tyson or Holyfield, also he doesn't have the best chin in the world either. I think he has been fortunate to be around in a time when the heavyweight division has not produced many good fighters. He has been the best heavyweight for the last 5 years but after Tyson I can only think of Evander Holyfield as a genuine heavyweight contender.

Lennox Lewis would never get in my top 10 either, he was always a safety forst boxer who has proven a lack of heart and a suspect chin. The signs of a good champion is one who can get up of the floor fight on and hopefully win.

Tyson was very skilled, but the skills dissapeared rapidly long before many noticed, he was on the slide around the time of the first Bruno fight, and certainly during his two fight with Razor Rudduck. One of the greatest but least recognized heavyweight champions pre Tyson (excluding Ali) was Larry Holmes, he was a guy who could take it as well as dish it out. Thats what its all about, Holmes proved he could take a shot and get up off the floor to win a fight.

When Lewis got hit, he would stay on the floor.

Roy MM
11-06-2005, 07:17
Has been V wanna be, will be interesting at least.

iron25
11-06-2005, 21:57
One of the greatest but least recognized heavyweight champions pre Tyson (excluding Ali) was Larry Holmes, he was a guy who could take it as well as dish it out. Thats what its all about, Holmes proved he could take a shot and get up off the floor to win a fight.

When Lewis got hit, he would stay on the floor.

I've read many articles which mention that Larry Holmes did not get the true recognition he was deserved, he was the longest reigning heavyweight champ in history. They also say that when Tyson fought him he was an old shot fighter but, if I remember rightly, Tyson is the only man to KO Holmes and he went on to fight for many years after that still without being KO.

makikomi
11-06-2005, 22:21
Tyson was a superlative boxer. He was a (to use the US colloquial) street punk who was given a focus in his life, and became totally focused on it. I think he was one of the most exciting and devastating boxers I've seen. After D'Amato died, he lost a major stabilising influence on his life, and got distracted becuase he wasn't kept focused. Then the Robin Givens marriage and (even worse) having Don King as a promoter.... his life just fell to bits. Since then he has been a shadow of his former self.

The main thing that made him so exciting was that he had no fear, didn't waste time "feeling out" the opponent, and the psychological edge that made his opponents scared to set foot in the ring with him. He took on the best that were put in front of him and ripped most of them to shreds.

All credit to Lewis, he did a good job, but the man was DULL. He played it safe a lot of the time and had he faced a Tyson in his prime (or at least one that had been kept focused) he'd have had his head ripped off by Tyson's brutal hooks and crosses.

Escapee
12-06-2005, 08:24
I've read many articles which mention that Larry Holmes did not get the true recognition he was deserved, he was the longest reigning heavyweight champ in history. They also say that when Tyson fought him he was an old shot fighter but, if I remember rightly, Tyson is the only man to KO Holmes and he went on to fight for many years after that still without being KO.

Holmes lost his title to Michael Spinks (brother of Neon Leon Spinks who beat Ali for the title) in a contraversial points decision. If my memory serves me right, Holmes was one step away from equaling Rocky Marcianos record of 49 wins and no losses. Holmes was not very popular because he was the guy that beat an old Ali in his last but one fight before the fiasco with Trevor Berbick, being the guy who really finished Ali's career made him a very unpopular fighter. It has been said that the judges scored against Holmes in the Spinks fights because he had made a comment when an interviewer compared him to Marciano that was something like "He couldn't carry my jockstrap"

Holmes didn't really train for the Tyson fight, Tyson was at his peak and Holmes took the fight for the money. Holmes was a very wealthy businessman by this time, but had all his money tied up in business interests.
One of the best fights I have seen Holmes in, was a post Tyson fight when he made another comeback and beat Ray Mercer, Holmes spent most of the fight in a corner covering up. At one point he was even talking to someone at ringside whilst taking the much younger Mercer to school!

A peak Holmes would of played with Lennox Lewis, and would of stood a very good chance against a peak Tyson.

bopdude
12-06-2005, 11:20
Did I miss something ??? I take it Tyson's making another comeback bid in boxing :shrug: I thought he was getting into K1, full contact.

Paul K
12-06-2005, 11:32
Did I miss something ??? I take it Tyson's making another comeback bid in boxing :shrug: I thought he was getting into K1, full contact.
Nah he has a bit of a cashflow problem and he only took this fight to pay off his debt. He now says he is retiring after losing this bout

bopdude
12-06-2005, 12:52
Nah he has a bit of a cashflow problem and he only took this fight to pay off his debt. He now says he is retiring after losing this bout

Ahh, I see, thanks Paul, I like your new gold star mate :tu: I wondered what would be next .. lol

I Know McBride
12-06-2005, 18:23
Ok I Don't care what anyone fo you think Kevin McBride is a Machine. You all say stuff to be like 'well he's all right i guess" I Dont see anyone of you jumping off your feet to get in the ring with Mike Tyson. So you can't say anything bad about him and if you watched all the interviews kevin and mike had otgether tyson said and i quote " i'm gonna gut kevin like a fish" didnt happen at all. Kevin Hammerd him in the 5th round and 6th and tyson resorted to trying to snap his arms 3 times what a friggin baby, and he head butted him on purpose and made kevin bleed above his eye what a friggin sally. So for all you mike tyson fans you can go and stick it because Tyson said before the fight how he was going to beat kevin easy 2 rounds and he said even if he did lose he would continue to fight then after he got his ass handed to him he came up with every excuse i watche dit on ppv he said i dont have the heart for this anymore i didint expect to win blah blah blah Mike is the biggest friggin pussy to come up with every excuse and even Tyson said "i was desperate thats why i head butted him" because he couldnt get kevin down. Everyone douted Kevin, all the critics said i'll give Kevin 1-2 rounds and Tyson wins. That didnt happen and again aftewr the fight when they questioned tyson he said i dont have the heart anymore i was just in it for the money. As tyson mad ehis way to his locker room, the fans booed him and through cups and trash at him and he flipped them off, does that seem liek Tyson carea at all about boxing? He started to cry in his corner as well because he couldn't take anymore from Kevin, and Tyson had to resort to cheating with low blows headbutting, and trying to snap Kevin's left arm. Also i know Kevin McBride he comes up to my friends house and did his bathroom who cans ay hey kevin did my bathroom and we are freinds with him and he is going to camp with us. So i laugh at all of you, who think you know Kevin McBride, because you don't he is the best there is.

Raistlin
12-06-2005, 18:35
Ok I Don't care what anyone fo you think Kevin McBride is a Machine. You all say stuff to be like 'well he's all right i guess" I Dont see anyone of you jumping off your feet to get in the ring with Mike Tyson. So you can't say anything bad about him and if you watched all the interviews kevin and mike had otgether tyson said and i quote " i'm gonna gut kevin like a fish" didnt happen at all. Kevin Hammerd him in the 5th round and 6th and tyson resorted to trying to snap his arms 3 times what a friggin baby, and he head butted him on purpose and made kevin bleed above his eye what a friggin sally. So for all you mike tyson fans you can go and stick it because Tyson said before the fight how he was going to beat kevin easy 2 rounds and he said even if he did lose he would continue to fight then after he got his ass handed to him he came up with every excuse i watche dit on ppv he said i dont have the heart for this anymore i didint expect to win blah blah blah Mike is the biggest friggin pussy to come up with every excuse and even Tyson said "i was desperate thats why i head butted him" because he couldnt get kevin down. Everyone douted Kevin, all the critics said i'll give Kevin 1-2 rounds and Tyson wins. That didnt happen and again aftewr the fight when they questioned tyson he said i dont have the heart anymore i was just in it for the money. As tyson mad ehis way to his locker room, the fans booed him and through cups and trash at him and he flipped them off, does that seem liek Tyson carea at all about boxing? He started to cry in his corner as well because he couldn't take anymore from Kevin, and Tyson had to resort to cheating with low blows headbutting, and trying to snap Kevin's left arm. Also i know Kevin McBride he comes up to my friends house and did his bathroom who cans ay hey kevin did my bathroom and we are freinds with him and he is going to camp with us. So i laugh at all of you, who think you know Kevin McBride, because you don't he is the best there is.

:welcome: to Cable Forum!
Does your keyboard have a return key?
Thanks for sharing your views with us. As you will see, this is a discussion area where people come to air their views on different topics of interest. Everybody may not have the same view as you, that's just a fact of life. They are allowed to exress their views, every bit as much as you are allowed to exress yours.

Paul
12-06-2005, 19:44
<snipped>Thank you for your 'interesting' contribution. I hope the next one is going to have a bit of formatting :erm: - btw - I notice you are in the usa - you do realise this is a uk cable site ?

allieyoung666
12-06-2005, 20:27
Do they have spellcheckers:erm:

iron25
12-06-2005, 22:28
So i laugh at all of you, who think you know Kevin McBride, because you don't he is the best there is.

:rofl:

Orior
12-06-2005, 22:53
Blatent name dropping spot. I was in Kevin McBride's home town today.