PDA

View Full Version : Leaving NTL before 12 months contract is up?

dronkula
25-09-2003, 20:12
Ok - anyone know if it's possible to cancel with NTL before the initial 12 months contract is up?

I got ntl 6 months ago when I moved into a new flat and was under the mistaken impression that I wouldn't be allowed to put up a Sky dish. Now, I've found out different and as NTL's digital TV service isn't exactly wowing me, I'd like to get Sky ASAP.

So, am I going to be stuck for 6 months with NTL? What's the cheapest package I can get with them? Will they let me leave early (and presumably loose the deposit I gave them when I joined?)

Any suggestions?

kellysup
25-09-2003, 20:29
normally you would be tied in to the 12 month contract unless you move to an non service area. as you are not moving you would either have to keep the service at the lowest package, or pay out the remainder of your contract at the lowest package price. however if you ask them nicely some csa's will let you out free of charge, particularly if you have a phone service from them.

Tristan
26-09-2003, 01:04
You are allowed to cancel your contract within 30 days of a price rise, too... but I don't know if any are on the way.

Graham F
26-09-2003, 11:03
To be honest i think you might be stuck with them for another 6 months :( let us know how you get on if you ring them :)

andygrif
26-09-2003, 17:22
Just downgrade your service to take phone only for the remaining six months. Either that or phone customer services, ask them a difficult question, which they wonb't be able to answer, don't be fobbed off, keep asking the same question, eventually they'll get hacked off and hang up on you.

When they do this, write a letter to the MD, naming the person who hung up on you, saying you have never been so offending in your life, and have no intention of remaining a customer if that is how ntl value your custom...giving 30 days notice in the process.

You have to know how to work the system, or the system will kill you!

georgepomone
04-10-2003, 13:03
Just downgrade your service to take phone only for the remaining six months. Either that or phone customer services, ask them a difficult question, which they wonb't be able to answer, don't be fobbed off, keep asking the same question, eventually they'll get hacked off and hang up on you.

When they do this, write a letter to the MD, naming the person who hung up on you, saying you have never been so offending in your life, and have no intention of remaining a customer if that is how ntl value your custom...giving 30 days notice in the process.

You have to know how to work the system, or the system will kill you!
Hi All,
reading the above is there any wonder ntl treat customers the way they do.You will never improve matters by sinking to these low levels.
Just a Thought, George :rolleyes:

Undisputedtruth
04-10-2003, 13:08
Hi All,
reading the above is there any wonder ntl treat customers the way they do.You will never improve matters by sinking to these low levels.

Unfortunately, as a customer you cannot deal with NTL customer services in a normal, relaxed manner. The staff are usually unprofessional. As they say: "When in Rome, do as the Romans do."

Mark W
04-10-2003, 13:23
Unfortunately, as a customer you cannot deal with NTL customer services in a normal, relaxed manner. The staff are usually unprofessional. As they say: "When in Rome, do as the Romans do."

and the other flip-side of the same coin is if you treat them like a humann being, they might return the compliment :rolleyes:

<edit> off topic but as we are on the subject.....
The celebrations went on long into the night after an ntl home team won a UK National Customer Service Award this week.

Beating off tough competition from Barclays, Yorkshire Water and BT, the North East’s Back Office team won the prestigious national award at a glitzy London ceremony.........

Undisputedtruth
04-10-2003, 13:59
and the other flip-side of the same coin is if you treat them like a humann being, they might return the compliment :rolleyes:

<edit> off topic but as we are on the subject.....

That is very true. It is my policy to treat people with respect. Unfortunately, there is little point in doing that with NTL for a number of reasons:

1) They are usually treat their customers as though they are the enemy.

2) They are usually in auto mode.

3) They usually not interested in listening to their customers.

4) Like Mark W above, they are usually looking for an argument.

5) They think they know better. :rolleyes:

I don't have a problem with BT customer services but I do with NTL customer services. The awards means nothing to me as I have not notice any changes in NTL customer services. I can remember What HiFi magazine publishing winners of their awards. I figured somewhere that these companies advertised a lot hence the link between Awards and advertising revenue.

albone
04-10-2003, 17:02
I agree with the last poster especially no 2. tec support had a girl, who if she were there, she was on auto pilot. Monotone through out and not a joke would crease that face! I am not your have a go customer and having gone 35 mins waiting was just pleased to have someone human to talk to, but she didn't seem to want to be there!

andygrif
06-10-2003, 10:15
Hi All,

Just like any system George, you need to know how to work it. It's not a chicken and egg situation, it's bourne out of some ntl employees not being able to deal with customers in a professional manner - this is something that the original poster could take advantage of if they choose to.

andygrif
06-10-2003, 10:18
Beating off tough competition from Barclays, Yorkshire Water and BT, the North East’s Back Office team won the prestigious national award at a glitzy London ceremony.........

I always wondered why it took so long to get through...now we know....they're busy beating off! :dunce:

georgepomone
06-10-2003, 15:33
Just like any system George, you need to know how to work it. It's not a chicken and egg situation, it's bourne out of some ntl employees not being able to deal with customers in a professional manner - this is something that the original poster could take advantage of if they choose to.
Hi Andy,
I agree with what you say,though I'm not getting it over very well.Like many on here I've been on cable for a long time (15yrs) not to say that means anything.I don't post much, unless I feel strongly about something.What I'm trying to say is the person that you get at customer services may be trying to help.Yes there are some that do.I myself have come across these pleb types.They shouldn't be there. But that is no reason to take it out on someone who is maybe trying to help you.The first answer said about reporting them to the higher ups.That's hardly fair if someone is trying to help.
To let you know I am not all goody goody.About four years ago I had one hell of an arguement with a woman who was a so called Customer Services Director.She was as rude as they come and accused me of telling lies.I completely lost it at that and went ballistic.It was one of the really good ones.Its been going on for some time but I do think things are slowly improving.
To sum up I just don't agree that it's right to have a go at someone just to prove a point.It maybe that the person you are having a go at is really trying to help you.Why get them into trouble when they have done nothing to you.
That's all I was trying to get over.
George.

andygrif
06-10-2003, 15:47
I agree with what you say aswell, there is a good helping of excellent CS staff - however the original poster wanted a way of getting out of his contract early, becuase he did not think that the service was very good.

In my experience unless many of the CS staff have the answer in front of them they get quite frustrated quite quickly as they want to move on to the next call they can answer the question of. It has been and would be quite easy for that kind of ill tempered conversation to get out of control - like you I have had a few of those kind of calls - now I don't want to have those kind of conversations so I have learned that when they start getting shirty to make a witty comment or say something like, "I know it's not your fault personally and you're doing all you can....." This stops them dead.

But what I am saying is that...should I choose not to be in control of the direction of the conversation, when asking a difficult question, then things might get out of control. That is the point where the original poster could use this to his advantage and cancel his account early, should he so choose.

I'm not saying it's morally right, I'm not saying it's a good thing to do, and I am certainly not suggesting getting a CS into trouble personally for it. I'm just saying that it is an avenue that is available.

Let's not forget the reason he wants to cancel in the first place - he doesn't like the service he's getting and wants to move to an alternative supplier. Now, thinking a little further down the line, do you think that in a few years this customer will be happy to go back to ntl given they made him pay for something he doesn't think is any good?

However, if ntl were smart, if the customer was 'let out' of the 12 month agreement becuase he didn't think it was any good, but with the caviat that he was welcome back as a customer anytime....he would have a much more positive opinion of ntl. Then (if) ntl get their systems together he might feel a little more inspired to reconnect.