PDA

View Full Version : Insurance question (adding drivers)

ZrByte
08-06-2005, 14:47
Basicly my Dad has taken ill and is unable to drive his car. He and I where wondering how much i would cost (roughly) to add me to his policy for the remainder of the contract.
Im pretty sure you guys wont be able to tell me anything solid but if any of you have done similar it may shed a bit of light on how much it would cost.

Im 21 with no no-claims. He is over 40 paying £210 per year with protected no-claims on an insurance group 3 car, there is only 5 months left on the policy I want to be added to.

Chimaera
08-06-2005, 14:51
Best to ring the company directly and ask, my old insurance company wanted somethng like £200 to put my daughter on my policy for 2 months (I'm not with them any more!) but my Mum's insurance company (Saga - well she is retired!) put her on for nothing - as a named driver! So it seems there are no hard and fast rules - check with them.
Sorry to hear about your Dad - hope he gets better soon :hugs:

bob_builder
08-06-2005, 14:59
Your (lack of) no-claims-bonus should not affect the price because you will not be the first driver.

If you know what company it is, get an online quote (if possible) with and without you added and multiply the price difference by 5/12. That should give you a fairly good approximation of what it should cost.

etccarmageddon
08-06-2005, 15:01
Basicly my Dad has taken ill and is unable to drive his car. He and I where wondering how much i would cost (roughly) to add me to his policy for the remainder of the contract.
Im pretty sure you guys wont be able to tell me anything solid but if any of you have done similar it may shed a bit of light on how much it would cost.

Im 21 with no no-claims. He is over 40 paying £210 per year with protected no-claims on an insurance group 3 car, there is only 5 months left on the policy I want to be added to.

I suggest when you ring them initially ask how much it would cost to add you to the policy but dont mention your dad's illness as this may cause them to make enquiries as to his illness and worse case is they may cancel the policy as he is no longer insurable. I'm no expert so dont take this as gospel.

I think he is duty bound though to inform them of any changes to his circumstances which may affect the policy and perhaps if he doesnt tell them about his illness, if you get involved in an accident and make a claim they may try to avoid paying out as he didnt notify them that he was no longer insurable or he had become a higher risk due to his illness.

ZrByte
08-06-2005, 15:11
I suggest when you ring them initially ask how much it would cost to add you to the policy but dont mention your dad's illness as this may cause them to make enquiries as to his illness and worse case is they may cancel the policy as he is no longer insurable. I'm no expert so dont take this as gospel.

I think he is duty bound though to inform them of any changes to his circumstances which may affect the policy and perhaps if he doesnt tell them about his illness, if you get involved in an accident and make a claim they may try to avoid paying out as he didnt notify them that he was no longer insurable or he had become a higher risk due to his illness.

Thats a good point I hadnt considdered, would depression count?
Basicly he is or rather was still able to drive his car until he started his medication, he just didnt want to. Now he is unable to drive it but only until the course of meds is over.

andyl
08-06-2005, 15:14
Basicly he is or rather was still able to drive his car until he started his medication, he just didnt want to. Now he is unable to drive it but only until the course of meds is over.

That might mean that you would become the first driver by default. Check the policy to - suspect you may need to disclose your dad's condition as it affects his ability to drive

Chris
08-06-2005, 15:16

Don't mention that to them. If they think you will be doing more miles than him, they will want to make you first driver and that will push the price through the roof due to your age and lack of no-claims.

andyl
08-06-2005, 15:20
Just checked a policy document which states: "You must advise us as soon as possible of any changes to your name, address, employment circumstances or fitness to drive". This is a broker's document and so is likely to be true of many (probably all) underwriters. So I guess your dad had better advise the insurer or the policy will be invalid should you need to claim (assuming they find out of course)

Chris
08-06-2005, 15:28
I imagine the 'fitness to drive' clause is open to some interpretation. Technically I'm unfit to drive if I come down with flu for a week. I don't imagine they want to be told about that though. Zrb's dad is not in himself unfit; he just can't operate machinery while on a course of medication. Plenty of heyfever treatments render you similarly unfit.

ZrByte
08-06-2005, 15:32
I imagine the 'fitness to drive' clause is open to some interpretation. Technically I'm unfit to drive if I come down with flu for a week. I don't imagine they want to be told about that though. Zrb's dad is not in himself unfit; he just can't operate machinery while on a course of medication. Plenty of heyfever treatments render you similarly unfit.

So basicly its probably best to just let the policy run its course unchanged then just not renew it in november if hes still unfit to drive it?
The main reason we where considdering this is because we dont want to just leave it standing for 5 months. It allready shakes when its idling, I'd hate to think of what it will be like in 5 months time.

andyl
08-06-2005, 15:36
Could you not pick up a cheap(er) third party policy just so you can give the car the occasional run?

ZrByte
08-06-2005, 15:39
Could you not pick up a cheap(er) third party policy just so you can give the car the occasional run?

Im not sure, what type of things do they offer? To insure my own car for a year costs me £740 at the moment, to insure my dads would be about £850 from the same place but thats assuming a standard policy. Do they offer anything else? Like a short term or low mileage policy?

orangebird
08-06-2005, 15:44
Im not sure, what type of things do they offer? To insure my own car for a year costs me £740 at the moment, to insure my dads would be about £850 from the same place but thats assuming a standard policy. Do they offer anything else? Like a short term or low mileage policy?

Are you fully comp on your insurance? If you are, you may be insured to drive other cars third party only on your policy anyway...

andyl
08-06-2005, 15:46

Third party means you're covered for damage to other vehicles, injuries to others and that's it. You might feel more comfortable with third party fire and theft.

Most policies take mileage into acount, some allow you to increase your excess to reduce your premium.

Are you fully comp on your insurance? If you are, you may be insured to drive other cars third party only on your policy anyway...

That is an exceedingly good point. :)

bob_builder
08-06-2005, 15:49
If you know the car will not be used for 5 month and is on private land you could always SORN it reclaim 5 month road tax and insurance and insure it not to be driven.

Chris
08-06-2005, 15:50
So basicly its probably best to just let the policy run its course unchanged then just not renew it in november if hes still unfit to drive it?
The main reason we where considdering this is because we dont want to just leave it standing for 5 months. It allready shakes when its idling, I'd hate to think of what it will be like in 5 months time.

If your aim is simply to keep the insurance policy 'alive' while your dad can't drive it, then the cheapest option is to convert it to 'laid up' status. You will get a significant reduction in premium provided the car is kept off the road and undriven. I hear what you're saying about its dodgy state though. It would be worse if you laid it up through the winter but running the engine regularly will be good for it. A word of warning, my sister's car's brake discs rusted to hell when the car was left on a drive for six months.

If you want to keep the car supple by driving it round the block once in a while, then anyone with fully comp insurance on their own car, and aged over 25(IIRC) can do this for him on their own insurance, on a third-party-cover basis. I don't know what the insurance status of your dad's car would need to be in such circumstances though.

bob_builder
08-06-2005, 15:55
Be very careful here, although this is true for a lot of drivers both my brother and myself found that this did not apply to people under 25 and we are with different insurers (Admiral and Direct Line).

If you want to keep the car supple by driving it round the block once in a while, then anyone with fully comp insurance on their own car, and aged over 25(IIRC) can do this for him on their own insurance, on a third-party-cover basis. I don't know what the insurance status of your dad's car would need to be in such circumstances though.
I believe this is a dodgy area. The car would certainly still need to be taxed but certainly some insurers require both the car and the driver to be insured.

orangebird
08-06-2005, 16:07
Be very careful here, although this is true for a lot of drivers both my brother and myself found that this did not apply to people under 25 and we are with different insurers (Admiral and Direct Line).

I know, that's why is said he may be covered. Lloyds TSB cover under 25s for this. It's worth checking with the insurance company though? :shrug:

Janusian
08-06-2005, 18:22
It doesn't actually make any difference whether the Insurance is fully comp or not, some companies provide the Driving other Cars extension for persons aged 21 some don't. Your insurance certificate will confirm it. As mentioned elsewhere this is nearly always third party only cover, so if the car was stolen whilst in your possession, or with you as the last driver, there potentially could be no cover.

Legally any car which is on the public highway is required to have a valid insurance policy on it at all times. The public highway is deemed to be anywhere to which there is not a physical barrier between it and the road. So technically a vehicle parked on an open drive would be deemed to be on the public highway.

With regard to your father medical condition, it is undoubtably a material fact if he is forbidden to drive by a long term medical condition, and failure to disclose could lead to an avoidance of the policy.

ZrByte
08-06-2005, 20:12
With regard to your father medical condition, it is undoubtably a material fact if he is forbidden to drive by a long term medical condition, and failure to disclose could lead to an avoidance of the policy.

Technically its not a long term problem since he has only just started with this, though it could become a long term problem so I do see your point :(
It is still early stages and the doctors have been reluctant to use the 'D' Word yet as it can cause problems later on (Im guessing this is one of those things it can cause problems with). So technically he hasnt got any long term condition to declare (yet) the only reason hes not driving is because he doesnt want to, that is until the beggining of last week when he started some new medication.

Nope, sadly I had allready considdered this. Im not old enough, im only TPF&T, and im not sure if tescos even offer it. My Dad is covered for this ironicly so we would be all set if he ever needed to drive my car :dozey: pitty that doesnt do us much good.