PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading to ntl 250 modem from 200

r1ch04
08-06-2005, 00:04
Hi people i have got an ntl 200 cable modem at the moment but as it is forever disconecting :Yikes: i have decided to try another modem. I have tried to call ntl tech support but the are so stupid as i guess most of you already know. They have told me nothing is wrong. Anyway back to the modem, does anyone know if i could swap my 200 for a 250 straight over without any problems im on the 2mb broadband service. Also would it be possible to get a cable splitter and use the 2 modems together on separate computers as my netowrk hub doesnt want to configure and well to save time and hassel i thought it would be a good idea.

Halcyon
08-06-2005, 00:33
Hi, firstly, Welcome to the forums :welcome:

It is not a network hub you need to share internet accross on your computers, but a cable Internet router instead.
Your modem plugs into this and you then connect each computer to the router.

The only way you could use the two modems is if you had registered each modem and pay for them both each month.
Modems need to be authenticated and registered to you from NTL so swapping cable modems to another one will probably not work.

If you didnt want to get a router to share the connection, you dont need to have two modems. You could pay for a second IP and use the one modem to control two connections. This will cost you more each month and you would be better getting a router to share your current 2mb connection to each computer.

Im sure there will be more people to help you out shortly, but thats my quick take on things.
Good luck. I hope you like it here and decide to stick around.

Bill C
08-06-2005, 08:08
I have tried to call ntl tech support but the are so stupid as i guess most of you already know.

Just so you know people from tech support post on this board and are far from stupid.

If you are thinking of buying a modem from someone on ebay then you are the stupid one as it will not work.

Why not talk to tech support again and see if they can resovle the problem and if they cannot then ask for an engineer to come out to you.

Lets hope the members of tech support here are forgiving and want to help you ?.

BTW :welcome:

r1ch04
08-06-2005, 12:33
Hi guys
When i contacted the tech support the guy there didnt know anything. I had broken my modem at the back i snapped to optical cable connector on the modem. I tried to exlain this to the "STUPID" operater who tried to tell me that the modem wasnt broken. I said listen mate the modem is broken i have just broken it myself by accident. He then told me that tech support would contact me within the next 48 hours. ! week later and still no reply. i got my modem and soldering iron out and fixed it myself from which now is working ok but still has the disconecting problem. I never had this before they upgraded the speed. Everyday i have to reset the modem at least twice to get it to work for a while. Thats the reason i am going to get a new modem.

orangebird
08-06-2005, 12:38
Hi guys
When i contacted the tech support the guy there didnt know anything. I had broken my modem at the back i snapped to optical cable connector on the modem. I tried to exlain this to the "STUPID" operater who tried to tell me that the modem wasnt broken. I said listen mate the modem is broken i have just broken it myself by accident. He then told me that tech support would contact me within the next 48 hours. ! week later and still no reply. i got my modem and soldering iron out and fixed it myself from which now is working ok but still has the disconecting problem. I never had this before they upgraded the speed. Everyday i have to reset the modem at least twice to get it to work for a while. Thats the reason i am going to get a new modem.

Well, make sure you get the modem from ntl. If you get a modem from anywhere else (even a hookie ntl one from ebay etc), IT WILL NOT WORK ON YOUR BB ACCOUNT. :)

bob_builder
08-06-2005, 12:39
In that case you want to ring NTL faults and tell them you have physically broken the modem. They will arrange to supply you with a new modem but I do not know how much they will charge you for it.

Paul
08-06-2005, 12:40
R1ch04 - I strongly suggest you keep your "stupid" comments to yourself. If you want help from this forum, and to last more than a day, then please learn to be polite. It costs nothing and will get you a far better response. :)

Stuartbe
08-06-2005, 13:34
Hi guys

:erm: Perhaps it would be a good idea if you knew what you were talking about before you tar all the NTL tech staff with the same brush !!! NTL cable modems dont have an optical connection !

As for re-soldering what I am asuming is the rj-45 connector, Its users like you that squirt noise into the cable network and upset other peoples connections. The NTL modem does not belong to you and you have no right to tamper with it or take it apart.

Not all technical support staff are "stupid" perhaps you should try working in the technical support business yourself for a while to see how easy it is :rolleyes:

May I sugest that if you want any help you try being polite to people - You may find it more productive !

daxx
08-06-2005, 14:02
<.snip>i snapped to optical cable connector on the modem.i got my modem and soldering iron out and fixed it myself from which now is working ok <.snip>

a couple of examples

http://floti.bell.ac.uk/MathsPhysics/splicing.htm

which did you use ????

bdav
08-06-2005, 14:58
Hi guys

NTL modems have optical connectors now? Is that like fibre-to-your door or something?:dozey:

Its a coaxial connector - "Stupid"?

saxo_vtr_paul
08-06-2005, 15:25
NTL modems have optical connectors now? Is that like fibre-to-your door or something?:dozey:

Its a coaxial connector - "Stupid"?

ha ha, how funny is that!! Nice one mate. Dont you just hate newbies when they come on here and start blaming others for their mistakes!!

I think he should be banned to be honest.

Thats my 2 pence worth anyway.

Hope I still recieve help from you wonderfull people in the future like you have done in the past :)

paulyoung666
08-06-2005, 15:31
ha ha, how funny is that!! Nice one mate. Dont you just hate newbies when they come on here and start blaming others for their mistakes!!

I think he should be banned to be honest.

Thats my 2 pence worth anyway.

Hope I still recieve help from you wonderfull people in the future like you have done in the past :)

:confused: :confused: :confused:

nfs6600
08-06-2005, 15:41
Hi guys

So has the service been faulty since you broke it or not? Either way your still going to have to call faults 0800 052200 (option 3) and book out an engineer to come and give you a new modem - and a charge for breaking the modem in the first place

Bill C
08-06-2005, 16:34
Hi guys
When i contacted the tech support the guy there didn't know anything. I had broken my modem at the back i snapped to optical cable connector on the modem. I tried to explain this to the "STUPID" operater who tried to tell me that the modem wasn't broken. I said listen mate the modem is broken i have just broken it myself by accident. He then told me that tech support would contact me within the next 48 hours. ! week later and still no reply. i got my modem and soldering iron out and fixed it myself from which now is working ok but still has the disconnecting problem. I never had this before they upgraded the speed. Everyday i have to reset the modem at least twice to get it to work for a while. That's the reason i am going to get a new modem.

How stupid can you get. Post on a site that has NTL support people on it. Hope they help you after you have called them stupid. You then admit you broke the modem and then try to explain how superior you are by explaining that you broke the optical connector on the back "which they don't have". You then say you fixed it with a soldering iron ????, Do you know how much optical splicing kit is, If not look HERE (http://www.surpluseq.com/default.htm). You now say it disconnects and you blame the upgrades to cover your incompetence ????. So 10 /10 for being a complete prat. 1/10 for using your head.

:Yikes::rofl:

That's the reason i am going to get a new modem.

You better hope i am not the engineer that calls to change it £ÃÆ ’‚£Ãà¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚£

Ignition
08-06-2005, 18:22
*sigh*

Unless you are using X-Box Live or PS2 Online services the disconnections will be from your PCs confusing the modem as it's only configured to have one device connected to it.

That's probably where the disconnections have started, you *may* have had this already and the upgrade put you back to maximum of 1 CPE at one time.

The rest has been explained to you already I guess, although just to make doubly sure if you have a look at the connections to the back of the modem I've a hunch you'll find copper there. Quick test really, if copper then it's electrical which kinda eliminates optical which is carried by thin glass fibres, unless there's a new kind of copper I've not heard about which is transparent.

spike7451
08-06-2005, 18:46
There's no gaurentee that you'll get a 250 modem,It depends what stores have in stock.Spike

nfs6600
08-06-2005, 19:04
There's no gaurentee that you'll get a 250 modem,It depends what stores have in stock.Spike

True.

Also, what makes you think that a 250 would resolve? They're essentially the same hardware anyway

r1ch04
09-06-2005, 21:07
Hey Guys i wasnt giving all the NTL Tech support grief just the guy who told me it was an optical cable connection as he was the one giving me grief. I know its co-axle as i used to work for ntl installing the broadband and cable tv. I thought it was a new word they are using instead of co-axle. The modem broke because i was angry with it and pulled it out to quickly. I havent used an x-box or anythin like that and it has been disconecting way before i broke it. So the guys who work at NTL who havent helped me over the phone "IM SORRY". I dont need to call tech support for a new modem as mine is working ok i was just wondering if i got another it would be more stable. I was also told before i broke my modem that the reason it was discconecting was a power shortage in the modem. So i will say it again sorry guys i just wanted some help with a new modem.

nfs6600
10-06-2005, 11:12
Hey Guys i wasnt giving all the NTL Tech support grief just the guy who told me it was an optical cable connection as he was the one giving me grief. I know its co-axle as i used to work for ntl installing the broadband and cable tv. I thought it was a new word they are using instead of co-axle. The modem broke because i was angry with it and pulled it out to quickly. I havent used an x-box or anythin like that and it has been disconecting way before i broke it. So the guys who work at NTL who havent helped me over the phone "IM SORRY". I dont need to call tech support for a new modem as mine is working ok i was just wondering if i got another it would be more stable. I was also told before i broke my modem that the reason it was discconecting was a power shortage in the modem. So i will say it again sorry guys i just wanted some help with a new modem.

Even so, all this goes to show that you never know who is watching. You've upset quite a few ntl employees with your remarks. Be more careful in future and perhaps you will get more helpful replies

r1ch04
10-06-2005, 13:32
Well im sorry i have had to offend people in here i wanted some help and yess i did'nt need to leave my remarks but if people had given me the help in the first place i wouldnt of been like this. I am like anyone else if you guys were losing money for not having access to the net then i think you would be like me:mad: . I tried to get help from someone who told me he was going to get a techie to call but no-one called. Thats what started this off im not an abbusive person i just like to get help for the service i pay for. I have seen a lot of unhappy people posting on here and i can fully understand why. Anyway I wont be leaving any more remarks< Not because NTL staff look but as respect for the staff who do know what they are talking about.

Neil
10-06-2005, 13:39
I am like anyone else if you guys were losing money for not having access to the net then i think you would be like me:mad:
You only have a 'right' to be angry if you are paying for a business connection from ntl.

If you are using your residential connection for business purposes, then you have no right whatsoever to complain.

If you rely on your connection to make money, then you need to have the proper connection to go with it. :)

r1ch04
10-06-2005, 15:16
At the end of the day i dont pay £24.99 a month just to browse the net. That would be stupid i would just get the £14.99 package. Its being used to run my small buisness and my online tech support etc. I repair p.c's, mobile phones, x-box's, ps2's, etc. I need the speed to get drivers and testing programs. A buisness line would be too much for my benefit and my guess would still be unreliable.

Stuartbe
10-06-2005, 15:25
As the old saying goes ...... " You gets what you pays for " :D

My business line cost £75.00 a month and has so far had a 100% uptime apart from a sunday morning fault that was repaired within 1 hour of reporting !

r1ch04
10-06-2005, 15:31
As the old saying goes ...... " You gets what you pays for " :D

My business line cost £75.00 a month and has so far had a 100% uptime apart from a sunday morning fault that was repaired within 1 hour of reporting !

Hi mate what is the speed of that service because that sounds interesting. Also how long have you been using that type of connection. Cheers :disturbd:

Stuartbe
10-06-2005, 15:32
Bit off topic but o.k.

http://broadband.nildram.net/view_products.php?group=pro

The 2mb service.

r1ch04
10-06-2005, 15:45
Bit off topic but o.k.

The 2mb service.

Thanks for that mate i will have a look into it. Does anyone know if there is a cap limit on the ntl broadband 2 meg?

Paul K
10-06-2005, 15:56
Bit off topic but o.k.

The 2mb service.

Thanks for that mate i will have a look into it. Does anyone know if there is a cap limit on the ntl broadband 2 meg?
AFAIK 30Gig per month same as 3Mb. I think I saw a thread on the forum about it somewhere.

r1ch04
10-06-2005, 16:17
Thanks Paul appreciated mate.

bdav
10-06-2005, 17:01
He said he was employed by NTL...... So why does he call them stupid.

I wonder.

paulyoung666
10-06-2005, 17:12
He said he was employed by NTL...... So why does he call them stupid.

I wonder.

dont need to inflame it ;) , anyway , afaik , the cap is going to be 30 gb a month as paul said , when and if it happens is another one of lifes mysteries :erm: :D :D :D :D

Neil
10-06-2005, 17:25
At the end of the day i dont pay £24.99 a month just to browse the net. That would be stupid i would just get the £14.99 package. Its being used to run my small buisness and my online tech support etc. I repair p.c's, mobile phones, x-box's, ps2's, etc. I need the speed to get drivers and testing programs. A buisness line would be too much for my benefit and my guess would still be unreliable.

No....

What would be stupid is to pay for a residential connection, & then moan when it doesn't perform like a business one.

Now that would be really stupid.....

Paul K
10-06-2005, 17:27

No....

What would be stupid is to pay for a residential connection, & then moan when it doesn't perform like a business one.

Now that would be really stupid.....
Nah really stupid would have been posting on a forum that logs your IP address while slagging a lot of NTL staff off and talking about using your NTL residential connection for business purposes....... :erm: :angel:

paulyoung666
10-06-2005, 17:37
good point :D :D :D

Chrysalis
10-06-2005, 18:47
Well the main differences between business and residental is usually SLA and contention ratio's, so if eg. their is a business line down and a residental line down in the same area the business line will be fixed first every time.

steve.porter
10-06-2005, 21:24
I have read this whole forum Thread and this guy has appologised to the NTL staff twice and they are still giving him abuse. What a great way to advertise your company's technical support with that kind of atitude. WELL DONE NTL TEAM. What sad people 10 people had to try and ruin that guy what a great NTL team 10 against 1 my turn to help him out. If people can read he said he was using the service to help with customer services and to get drivers etc. This could be selling on ebay, amazon many more online shops. He could be getting drivers for his own Hardware or for repairing computers anything like that. I think people who have given him grief owe him an appologie as he has said SORRY. Anyway hope someone else helps this guy with his battle.

homealone
10-06-2005, 21:41
I have read this whole forum Thread and this guy has appologised to the NTL staff twice and they are still giving him abuse. What a great way to advertise your company's technical support with that kind of atitude. WELL DONE NTL TEAM. What sad people 10 people had to try and ruin that guy what a great NTL team 10 against 1 my turn to help him out. If people can read he said he was using the service to help with customer services and to get drivers etc. This could be selling on ebay, amazon many more online shops. He could be getting drivers for his own Hardware or for repairing computers anything like that. I think people who have given him grief owe him an appologie as he has said SORRY. Anyway hope someone else helps this guy with his battle.

welcome to the forum, but I am not sure what your point is?

since he apologised there have been no replies by NTL staff, let alone abusive ones...

however, anyone who comes on a public forum & calls a group of people stupid twice within their first two posts should not expect any help at all from that group - their restraint is, in my opinion, admirable.

Marge
10-06-2005, 21:41

The thing is do you know from the posters who are ntl staff and who aren't, probably not :rolleyes:

Paul K
10-06-2005, 21:43
Erm most people posting to this thread have No connection with NTL, are not employed by NTL and are definately not paid by NTL ;) So how about apologising to us for falsely accusing us of something?? :p:
Oh and he said
Its being used to run my small buisness and my online tech support etc. I repair p.c's, mobile phones, x-box's, ps2's, etc.

r1ch04
10-06-2005, 21:48
Hi steve thanks for that help mate but i think i was doing ok The buisness im running just to confirm is something i do when i finish my normall job i repair pc's etc but most people have my help over msn so they can fix them themselves.

steve.porter
10-06-2005, 21:58
I dont care what people think about me in here i was just looking for some info in here and noticed this forum so i had to try and help the guy out. He does have a good point about the connection though mine has played up from day 1 and im paying for 3meg

Paul K
10-06-2005, 22:13
I dont care what people think about me in here i was just looking for some info in here and noticed this forum so i had to try and help the guy out. He does have a good point about the connection though mine has played up from day 1 and im paying for 3meg
Feel free to start a thread about it then, it may be something as simple as signal strength being borderline or it might be equipment malfunction but without details there is little anyone can offer as to a solution.
If you start a thread and list things like Operating system, connection type (ethernet or USB), SACM or STB, router if present, Firewall and AV if in use etc.
Check here for what details would be handy
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=15305
and here for info on retrieving some useful info if you are on a SACM
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=430166&postcount=1
Oh and if anyone had felt that they were being abused in this thread all they have to do is use the report post function and the team would have acted ;)

r1ch04
10-06-2005, 22:24
Hi Paul you seem to know your stuff. I am trying to connect to my cousins vpn but am having difficulties on this im not very good with this kind of networking. Would you be able to help me or anyone who i havent offended Thanks

Paul K
10-06-2005, 22:28
Hi Paul you seem to know your stuff. I am trying to connect to my cousins vpn but am having difficulties on this im not very good with this kind of networking. Would you be able to help me or anyone who i havent offended Thanks
Have replied to your pm but in short
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=30086 is the place to look and ask ;)
I doubt if you have seriously offended anyone yet.... you can still post lol

kingy169
23-04-2007, 15:11
Hi, hopefully I might have came into the right forum. Big Question here, if your NTL modem: 250 is not registered with the MAC add is it possible to just plug it in anywhere and use the internet. Reason I am asking is my mate got a NTL :250 modem from someone, and my mate moved into a flat, anyway's there was a NTL co-axial cable already installed from the previous tennant, again, anyway's he plugged his NTL modem in and hey presto! it worked, I have asked him if he is registered with NTL he said he never has. This got me confused as to how his modem is doing this.? The reason I know that it works anywhere is he moved from that flat into a house which again had the connectors, plugged it in and hey presto! it worked. How is this possible.?

---------- Post added at 14:11 ---------- Previous post was at 13:59 ----------

Also this is not the only mate who is able to do this. There is a guy in my flats who also gets free internet, same modem box etc. These guy's have no idea really about computers or modems yet they just plug and play. Could it be that there MAC add is not registered with NTL.? please help my head goes ga ga !! lol from thinking about it, yet I come up with loads of answers in my head, but do not know if they are right or not.