PDA

View Full Version : Scaffolding Tower

gary_580
06-06-2005, 23:37
I'm thinking of buying a scaffolding tower anyone ever bought one? Got any tips on what to buy?

Im looking at a galvanised steel one 22' working height 17' platform height. As im not to friendly with heights i need something thats pretty stable

Paul K
06-06-2005, 23:42
Don't get a wheeled base if you live on a hill ;) Depends on what you are going to use if for really and wether you are going to be working at a set height all the time or at varying height. Going for a lightweight system is a good idea if you will be erecting it on your own and if it's going to be left out on sites etc getting it marked will discourage theft :erm:

gary_580
06-06-2005, 23:45
Don't get a wheeled base if you live on a hill ;)

:rolleyes: where do i live Paul :dunce: how many hill are there? :D

Chimaera
06-06-2005, 23:46
Don't get a wheeled base if you live on a hill ;)

:rolleyes: where do i live Paul :dunce: how many hill are there? :D
Near the Westwood? Get a sturdy padlock then!

gary_580
06-06-2005, 23:52
Don't get a wheeled base if you live on a hill ;) Depends on what you are going to use if for really and wether you are going to be working at a set height all the time or at varying height. Going for a lightweight system is a good idea if you will be erecting it on your own and if it's going to be left out on sites etc getting it marked will discourage theft :erm:

hmmm light weight = aluminium = £1700+

heavier = Galvanised steel = £300

Near the Westwood? Get a sturdy padlock then!

nope, i dont live near there!! other side, about 5 miles away

Roy MM
07-06-2005, 00:06
Was gonna write here but i could not stop laughing.

Chimaera
07-06-2005, 00:09
Was gonna write here but i could not stop laughing.
Awww go on Roy - you know you want to!! ;)

paulyoung666
07-06-2005, 00:10
if you are going that high then make sure you get some outriggers to go with it ;)

Graham
07-06-2005, 00:19
I'm thinking of buying a scaffolding tower

Is there any particular reason you need to own one of these? IIRC they're available for rent at reasonable prices.

MovedGoalPosts
07-06-2005, 00:33
Is there any particular reason you need to own one of these? IIRC they're available for rent at reasonable prices.

Unless you build for a living, or have a repetetive maintenance job to do every few weeks (like change an otherwise too high load of light bulbs in a factory) I doubt it's viable for you to buy a tower. If you build will one tower be versatile enough to cover a multitude of different sites and tasks? Renting can solve all of this, and enables you to allocate the costs spacifically to each job.

Even if you do buy make sure you are able to erect it safely, (will this be a one man job? ) know how to maintain, and all the rest. If you are doing this to earn a living, or others are going to use it, bear in mind your own duty of care and a need to comply with various health and safety stuff including working at height regulations.

Nidge
07-06-2005, 05:52
I'm thinking of buying a scaffolding tower anyone ever bought one? Got any tips on what to buy?

Im looking at a galvanised steel one 22' working height 17' platform height. As im not to friendly with heights i need something thats pretty stable

Hire one of them scissor lifts for the day, they come on wheels and are stable enough.

aliferste
07-06-2005, 08:10
Why are you getting it? just fancy getting one?

Ive always wanted a combine harvester myself :)

Graham
07-06-2005, 20:17

But are you going to give Paul the key...?! :D

gary_580
07-06-2005, 21:15

they rent fopr about £75 a weekend iirc, you can buy a basic one for £150 plus a bit extra if you want wheels etc. So i was thiniking that id only need to use it 3 times to be in profit. We the conifers at the end of my garden and the wood work on my house i guess id use it every 2-3 years

lol, i need acces to the eaves of the house plus i need to lop about 10 foot of the top 30 foot conifers

Graham
07-06-2005, 21:16

they rent fopr about £75 a weekend iirc, you can buy a basic one for £150 plus a bit extra if you want wheels etc.

I'd check what you are getting for your money in each case, because I think a decent tower will cost more than £150!

gary_580
07-06-2005, 21:17

Why would Paul want the key :confused:

I'd check what you are getting for your money in each case, because I think a decent tower will cost more than £150!

not a steel one. the aluminium ones cost well over a £1000 but ive seen many places selling galvanised stell ones for £150-£200 then pay for the wheels and boards on top

Graham
07-06-2005, 21:20

Why would Paul want the key :confused:

Oh Oi've got a brand new combine 'arvester
And Oi'll give you the key

:D

not a steel one. the aluminium ones cost well over a £1000 but ive seen many places selling galvanised stell ones for £150-£200 then pay for the wheels and boards on top

Well, it's your dosh :)

gary_580
07-06-2005, 21:22
Originally Posted by Wurzels
Oh Oi've got a brand new combine 'arvester
And Oi'll give you the key

and where does it mention Paul??

ian@huth
08-06-2005, 00:25
they rent fopr about £75 a weekend iirc, you can buy a basic one for £150 plus a bit extra if you want wheels etc. So i was thiniking that id only need to use it 3 times to be in profit. We the conifers at the end of my garden and the wood work on my house i guess id use it every 2-3 years

lol, i need acces to the eaves of the house plus i need to lop about 10 foot of the top 30 foot conifersYou could always share the cost with a couple of neighbours. Maybe rent it out to them and make a profit in the long run. If you do rent it out though make sure the renter signs something to say you are not liable for any accidents.

Graham
08-06-2005, 03:47
and where does it mention Paul??

Err, oops, I think I'm mixing up my "ali's!" :blush: :dozey: