PDA

View Full Version : NO idea whats happening!

cath276
05-06-2005, 21:27
No idea if I am writing this in the right place or even if it's relevant but I have a problem with my cable modem.
I am not a technical person so will put this as simple as I can.....
Cabel tv working fine - turn on pc...cabel modem & pc working fine - sudden 'POP' sound and computer switches off completely and cabel tv goes down too.
At first I thought maybe it was a power surge but it's not tripping the electric. Also when it went pop and turned pc off, it turned cabel tv off BUT NOT not the actual tv (in other words tv was still on but with a blank screen)
I am therefore assuming it's some sort of cable problem but have NO idea of what or how etc.
It's done it twice tonight already. Tv comes back on itself in about 5 seconds but pc has to be turned off at the wall and then on again before it will restart.
Pleeeeeaaasseee help me!
Cath

Roy MM
05-06-2005, 21:47
Hi and :welcome: to CF.

Sounds like a fuse in the power supply to your STB

Jules
05-06-2005, 21:49
I would not have thought a cable problem would turn your comp off but I could be wrong....I am sure some one will be alone to help you shortly

And welcome to the forum :)

Paul K
05-06-2005, 21:51
Welcome to the forum :)
Are any of the devices plugged into a power strip at all? For example a 4 way extension that plugs into one socket on the wall?
Does this happen often or is this the only time? It could be a power fluctuation on your mains because the electronics inside the computer, modem and tv are sensitive enough to register even a split second drop in power at which point they reset themselves.
It's possible that changing a setting in the BIOS of the PC will let it boot up after a power outage without you having to switch it back on manually.

spike7451
05-06-2005, 21:53
It's either a faulty splitter or (more likely) the isolator.These are desighned to blow if theres a power surge to protect you & our network.
Spike

bdav
05-06-2005, 21:53
Welcome to the forum :)
Are any of the devices plugged into a power strip at all? For example a 4 way extension that plugs into one socket on the wall?
Does this happen often or is this the only time? It could be a power fluctuation on your mains because the electronics inside the computer, modem and tv are sensitive enough to register even a split second drop in power at which point they reset themselves.
It's possible that changing a setting in the BIOS of the PC will let it boot up after a power outage without you having to switch it back on manually.

I think there is also something in BIOS called "Spread Spectrum" which should help against inteference like this.

cath276
05-06-2005, 22:28
Thanks for all your replies - the pc is plugged into a power strip but it's a separate one to the tv. Only thing connecting tv to pc is the cable supply which comes off a splitter. This has never happened before. Everything seems to be behaving now with the modem etc BUT my house lights just went really dim so I am guessing it is probably just due to something like a power fluctuation like Paul suggested.
Anyway THANKS for all the help. Luckly I haven't needed to come here for a long time but I use to read these boards a couple of years ago. It's nice to know people on here are still so helpful!
Thanks
Cath

Paul K
05-06-2005, 22:47
Monitor it for a couple of days, if it's not on one already try making sure you are using surge protected power strips. They help to calm down the small spikes you get now and then on the mains :)

spike7451
06-06-2005, 01:14
Thanks for all your replies - the pc is plugged into a power strip but it's a separate one to the tv. Only thing connecting tv to pc is the cable supply which comes off a splitter. This has never happened before. Everything seems to be behaving now with the modem etc BUT my house lights just went really dim so I am guessing it is probably just due to something like a power fluctuation like Paul suggested.
Anyway THANKS for all the help. Luckly I haven't needed to come here for a long time but I use to read these boards a couple of years ago. It's nice to know people on here are still so helpful!
Thanks
Cath
If you are having power trouble,it might be worth getting aNTL out to check the isolator/splitter as they would have been affected.
We had severe storms here 2 years ago & spent a week changing blown isolators.
Spike