PDA

View Full Version : Registering for broadband

saxo_vtr_paul
02-06-2005, 12:04
I have been to my friends house to set his laptop up to access the broadband. He had it connected on the morning of this tuesday just gone.

When I reboot the set top box then turn the laptop on I should be able to do what I done on my pc and click internet explorer and the registration page should appear. However this does not happen.

It says page cannot be displayed.

When I click on the network connections available it says on the network connection that it has limited or no connectivity. This is displayed when I connect my laptop too so I know its not a computer fault.

When I rang tech support they said there is a problem registering new customers but when I check on this site: http://www.ntl-isp.ntl.com/ServiceStatus/ it seems to me its only for Lichfield and Camberley regions.

Will this problem affect my area which is on the Wirral? Or can someone help me with this?

Bear in mind I do have a good knowledge of pc's so I know I have set the settings correct for example, set it up so it gets an IP from the DHCP.

Cheers

Paul K
02-06-2005, 12:11
Did you try sending the browser to the link on this page
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/article.php?a=13

saxo_vtr_paul
02-06-2005, 12:13
ummm.... I didnt but I will try this later and let you know. Cheers, I wasnt aware of this.

Paul K
02-06-2005, 12:16
ummm.... I didnt but I will try this later and let you know. Cheers, I wasnt aware of this.
Sometimes you have to force it to go to the registration screen. If that fails then you can always ring CS for assistance with the registration. I take it the STB is enabled for Broadband and is ready to run and you are just registering a new computer against the account.

saxo_vtr_paul
02-06-2005, 12:18
thats for cable modems. should I still try it even though its a set top box he has?

Sometimes you have to force it to go to the registration screen. If that fails then you can always ring CS for assistance with the registration. I take it the STB is enabled for Broadband and is ready to run and you are just registering a new computer against the account.

yeah. its a new samsung box which was installed on tuesday. and it had the broadband turned on that day too. I will try that procedure later and let you know.

cheers

Paul K
02-06-2005, 12:22
Try this one then
https://autoreg.autoregister.net/start.html

yeah. its a new samsung box which was installed on tuesday. and it had the broadband turned on that day too. I will try that procedure later and let you know.

cheers
Are you sure it's enabled? It's been known for boxes not to be enabled on time or for incorrect boxes to be hit if more than one are in the same house.

saxo_vtr_paul
02-06-2005, 12:24
Try this one then
https://autoreg.autoregister.net/start.html

Are you sure it's enabled? It's been known for boxes not to be enabled on time or for incorrect boxes to be hit if more than one are in the same house.

yeah. I rang tech support and they hit it again. they also checked a log and said it was enabled. Do I use the link above as it seems thats for cable modems and his is a set top box?

quadplay
02-06-2005, 12:24
No, the autoregister.net address will not get his PC added to his account. For STBs, just type start.ntl into the address bar and hit Enter.

However, it sounds possible that your friend's STB has not synchronised properly (which is a known problem at the moment). Phone Tech Support again (on 0845 650 0125) and get them to check the STB is showing as OK in IAMS. If it is, your friend should be able to get a valid IP address. If it is showing as not synchronised, the agent you speak to may need to call a Level 2 agent to get it synchronised manually, then reboot your STB to get you to the registration page.

Unfortunately, I can't check this myself as I'm not in work until next Wednesday now, but any half-decent agent at Tech Support should be able to! If it all looks OK in the system, and the agent you speak to can't help, come back here and we'll see what we can do. ;)

saxo_vtr_paul
02-06-2005, 12:28
ok, will try it. cheers for your help lads

Racingdick
02-06-2005, 12:34
what ip address are u getting? assuming u have rebooted the stb/pc it should then go to a 10.. ip