PDA

View Full Version : anyone useing AOL broadband

caroline
01-06-2005, 22:12
Hi

anyone useing AOL broadband ? are they any good ?
seems they offer uncapped downloads, or is there someone better in the sg61qb area with a 2mb or higer connection.

paulyoung666
01-06-2005, 22:34
great if you dont mind your computer being taken over by the devil that is AOL :Yikes: , well , unless it has changed from a few years ago , it used to be very intrusive into your system :(

caroline
01-06-2005, 23:07
Yep thats what i heard, but then who do i go with as a provider, my daughter now is having the ntl connection i have moved to her room so now i need a provider that doesnt cap downloads or gives a good usage.

zing_deleted
01-06-2005, 23:17
Do not worry about the cap yet its only soft and as far as i know not yet enforced on anyone ,either share your daughters ntl connection,or do a google theres plenty of high cap or no cap isp's out there

zoombini
02-06-2005, 09:12
The offer of no cap is hardly enough to warrant the evil of AOHell.....

Plusnet's (www.plus.net)Premier accounts are not capped as such (although if you start taking 150gb+ your likely to get contacted about it) what you need to do is figure out how much you actually use.

With 4 kids playing Xbox live or the computer online for most of the day I barely get to 6gb a month. Are you able to put a number to what bandwidth you want?

There are lite accounts that cost less.

zing_deleted
02-06-2005, 12:02
I know im going to crash and burn over this but I gotta say it anyway,

Yes aol adds software into your pc that takes over a lot of your internet,but in its defence when you log into aol behind a router that signs on the same as any other so in reality you do not even have to install aol's software you can still use I E,Even if you were to install and run aol you will find a simple to use interface easy to use email,yes you get indian call centres but if you go into live tech in the day your faced with a uk agent.
Aol's prices are fair they offer no cap (as of yet) and to the average user im sure will work out very well

Jules
02-06-2005, 12:15
I was with AOL dial up for a long time and had no problems at all with it

Overkill
22-09-2005, 09:22
I'm just about to leave AOL.

Pluses: uncapped downloads... er... that's it

Minuses: useless browser, poor customer service, poor tech support, connection problems, no newsgroups allowed and so on...

I've been having continual connection problems since the weekend and last night made three seperate phone calls to their tech support, each time being asked to do something different. The first resulted in me ahving to re-install AOL completely, the second asked me to move my computer to my hallway so I didn't use an extension cable, and the third (and this is the one that really got me mad) was that my processor was making too much noise it was interferring with my BB signal!!! :p:

Eventually I sorted the problem myself (for some my settings had been jacked about, something about my modem ... anyway it works now). It took five minutes, as oppossed to the 45 I spent in various phone calls to them.

I'm on the hunt for a new BB supplier now, though fromt he sounds of it my time with AOL is far from over as they make it very difficult to leave...