PDA

View Full Version : Home Network

bowlie1010
01-06-2005, 21:50
Hi All, I have a problem and I'm wondering if any of you chaps have had the same one.

I have a PC which is connected to my surfboard using the USB method. It has been like this since the broadband was installed.

Now we have a wireless laptop and a Linksys WRT54GS Broadband Router.

The CD that comes with the router says to run it on the PC first. It checks the internet connection via the surfboard and retrieves some settings from it I believe.

It then asks me to set the network up like this
cable>>surboard>>broadband router>>pc
Then continue...

It then asks a few questions about IP addresses and encryption keys and stuff like that. It says leave them as they are if unsure. I think its setting the gateway to 82.xx.xx.xx or something like that. To keep things simple for now, no keys are set, I'll do that later.

The final screen is a confirmation screen, containing the IP address of the router, 192.168.0.1, if I remember correctly. It asks to confirm the settings, click Save...

It then checks all the settings, upto 100%. Then checks the internet connection, but fails (I kinda look like :mad: at this point) . It says something like, the router cannot connect to the internet. Try resetting your modem and try again. This doesn't help.:(

Any ideas, please put me out of my misery.

MalcUK2005
01-06-2005, 22:57
Have u still got the modem pluged into your computer with a usb lead? you need to plug it into the WAN port on the router using a ethernet lead. Then reboot the modem.

bowlie1010
02-06-2005, 14:49
I have tried it both with and without, same result each time :confused: .

The ISP is Telewest by the way, I forgot to mention that :dunce: .

I believe that Telewest lock the modem to certain MAC addresses, or atleast they used to, since I have recently read they don't do that anymore.

The router supports MAC cloning, which is also turned ON by default.

Hope this helps.

MalcUK2005
02-06-2005, 14:52
Turn off mac cloning, plug modem directly into the WAN port on the router using a ethernet lead. Pull the power lead from the modem leave for 10 seconds put back in.

Make sure that all your WAN settings are set to automatic or dynamic you shouldn't have had to enter any IP address's, gateways, domains anything like that.

Hope that helps.

bowlie1010
03-06-2005, 09:36
Sussed it now. I was just pressing standby instead of unplugging it. Thanks for your help. I cant believe it was something so simple.:disturbd: