PDA

View Full Version : Speeding Ticket

Alan Waddington
24-09-2003, 19:01
I have just received a 'Notice of Intended Prosecution' for exceeding a temporary 40mph limit. It was on the 15th & it says I was doing 52mph.

Anyone know what this will cost me? Also, since this is on my way to work, and I didn't (and haven't spotted the camera), there is a possibility it may have got me on other days in the last week too. I hope it's not a fixed camera & I'm not going to get more of these things coming in.

Alan

Russ
24-09-2003, 19:04
It'll be an SP30 which will be 3 points and a £30 fine :)

Alan Waddington
24-09-2003, 19:06
Originally posted by Russ D

Ah well, that's not so bad as long as there aren't any more in the works.

Defiant
24-09-2003, 19:08
I got one for doing 35 on 30 mph road in Lancashire. Theirs going to be much more people getting done though. According to the bbc theirs a 60% increase in speed camera in the northwest since the police were allowed to keep the cash

Russ
24-09-2003, 19:12
Originally posted by Alan Waddington
Ah well, that's not so bad as long as there aren't any more in the works.

Don't forget the increase in insurance premiums ;)

Alan Waddington
24-09-2003, 19:28
Don't forget the increase in insurance premiums ;)

You really know how to cheer a chap up :p

I got one for doing 35 on 30 mph road in Lancashire.

That's just plain mean.

Also I had a look on the RAC website. SP30 could be £60. :(

Defiant
24-09-2003, 19:48
Well I'll soon have 6 points because of that.

The first 3 points were for going through a set of lights on amber!. I stated to the police it would have been dangerous to break at 40 because of the cars behind me. The speed limit on this road was 50 and I was doing 40/42
The police officer that processed the images agreed that the lights were on amber when I went through and even told me they switched 1.5 second as I went through but still didn't matter to them. Money talks

paulyoung666
24-09-2003, 20:05

no it wont it will be an sp30 and £60 , sorry :(

Defiant
24-09-2003, 20:07
yep

Russ
24-09-2003, 20:08
Originally posted by paulyoung666
no it wont it will be an sp30 and £60 , sorry :(

Odd, seeing as my next-door neighbour had 3 points and a £30 fine for his SP30 a month ago :erm:

mmm
24-09-2003, 22:39
Originally posted by Alan Waddington
I have just received a 'Notice of Intended Prosecution' for exceeding a temporary 40mph limit. It was on the 15th & it says I was doing 52mph.

Anyone know what this will cost me? Also, since this is on my way to work, and I didn't (and haven't spotted the camera), there is a possibility it may have got me on other days in the last week too. I hope it's not a fixed camera & I'm not going to get more of these things coming in.

Alan

Are you sure it was your car and it was you driving? You can ask to see the photo to check.

Also check out...

Speed Trap Bible (http://www.speed-trap.co.uk/Accused_Home/Accused_Home.htm)

zoombini
24-09-2003, 22:59
AFAIKR you may be able to pay £90 & go on a safe driving course to prevent you losing the 3 points.

& if you want to be a pain in thier sides, do not sign the form asking for the drivers name etc. You have to legally declare who was driving, but you do not have to sign the form.
However without a signature it is not acceptable in court..
Many people have got away with it by doing this.
he, he.
http://www.pepipoo.com

Sipowicz
24-09-2003, 23:06
Heard a story once about a guy who refused to pay his speeding ticket.
They sent a photo of his car from the speed camera.
He sent a photograph of a cheque for the fixed penalty notice.
The Police sent a picture of some handcuffs.

He paid up!:D

The Diplomat
24-09-2003, 23:24
An idea.....

Do you have a "friend" who lives abroad.... preferably a foreign national?

If so put their name on the form as the driver at the time... ;)

Russ
25-09-2003, 07:55
Which of course would be illegal.

Alan Waddington
25-09-2003, 08:00
Which of course would be illegal.

Which is why I'm going to reluctantly 'fess up. :(

Enough. Time to move on to more pleasant thoughts :D

The Diplomat
25-09-2003, 09:22
You are exactly the kind of motorist the piggy plods love Alan....;)

I would be checking that the signage etc. complies with the law, and that planning permission was in place for the speed reduction etc. But hey, most people can't be bothered with things like that which is why the fuzz spend so much time clocking motorists. :rolleyes:

Russ
25-09-2003, 09:52
Wasn't there a story recently where some guy had a summons for speeding and he filled out the 'fess up' sheet but did not sign it, and the case was thrown out of court because the magistrate cannot accept an unsigned court document and there is no legal requirement for the speeding guy to sign it if it's already been submitted to the court?

Lord Nikon
25-09-2003, 09:52
Plod tried to nail me once..... said I had italic letters on my number plates....

gave me a VDRS ( Vehicle Defect Report Scheme) form which I had to get signed at an MOT center after altering the plates to comply with the law.

I had already checked the law... plates were legal, took it to an MOT center with the same plates on... they agreed they were legal, filled the form in and I sent it to the address on the form by recorded delivery.

Then came a letter taking me to court for the plates, saying they were in italics, which they were not.

On checking, not only did the data on the form say the plates were italics when they weren't and had NEVER been, they quoted the wrong 2 sections of the road traffic act in the charge.

My not guilty plea was accompanied by a note that the plates were not, and had NEVER been italics, a definition of what italics meant, and the statement that the plates conformed to the RTA (Road Traffic Act) and that the charges they had proferred against me were in fact referring to the wrong part of the act.

The response was - no charges to answer, case dismissed :D

it's worth fighting the police on things like this.... quite often the only proof they have against you is your own admission of guilt on the paperwork.

zoombini
25-09-2003, 10:22
A road haulage transport manager I know always send the letters back unsigned, always denies liability and requests the pictures. (both your legal rights)

He said he had not been done yet through that.
Apparently when you make more work for them they get peed off & drop it (sometimes).

He once got a picture back saying one of his drivers had been clocked, and the picture showed the driver unloading some doors from a waggon that was supposed to be going at 40mph! lol.
(a car was passing fast on the outside).

As for spotting the camera, isn't there a requirement that they be visible & not hidden?
If it was a mobile unit, where was the sign that they must display?

Go on, be a pest to them, fight the scourge of the highways...

Lord Nikon
25-09-2003, 10:24
the visible part only applies if the local force makes use of the revenue and not the government...