PDA

View Full Version : Motorway Services!!!!!

Croker
28-05-2005, 12:07
Motorway Services are not a public help at all. They are a ripoff, poor services & extortionate prices. Once more, a shining example of ripoff britain. I bought a small bottle of water, a small fruit and nut bar and a marathon (snickers brand not offically recognised by the croker regime) and the cost came to £2.89 :mad::mad::mad:

paulyoung666
28-05-2005, 12:22
finished :disturbd: , unless i was really desperate , i would never use a service area , i would rather pull off the motorway and go to a local town / village :)

Croker
28-05-2005, 12:26
the sandwiches are about £4 each - about the minimum working wage

allieyoung666
28-05-2005, 13:05
Try staying at Travelodge they are even worse!!!!! WE had to go to Carlise the other week to go and get the kids some tea as I would not pay £6.99 for a burger!!! And £4.00 for a bottle of Stella from the little chef. we got 8 for the price of one!

Graham
28-05-2005, 13:40
Motorway Services are not a public help at all. They are a ripoff, poor services & extortionate prices.

Thing is, it's the basic law of Supply and Demand, if supply is restricted and demand is high, prices go up.

You don't have the (easy) option of going elsewhere (unless you pull off the motorway) so your only choice is take it or leave it.

Raistlin
28-05-2005, 13:42
Motorway Services are not a public help at all.

They're not designed to be a public help, they're there to make money for profit making organisations.

And, as Graham says, the prices are high because that's what they can get away with charging (supply and demand at its basic level).

If you find the prices objectionable then why not pack up a picnic before you leave home?

allieyoung666
28-05-2005, 16:37
we did and the flask leaked and warm food does not taste very nice after a while!!! Just think food poisioning !!!

Matthew
28-05-2005, 16:53
I have never know services to be that highly priced. I know they are a little more expensive but don't mind paying because its a one off and I have wanted it.

I have found them to be ok the number of times I have used them and now noticed that some of them are getting cheaper.

Have spent many a Saturday in and out of service stations.

Croker
28-05-2005, 17:00
I have never know services to be that highly priced. I know they are a little more expensive but don't mind paying because its a one off and I have wanted it.

I have found them to be ok the number of times I have used them and now noticed that some of them are getting cheaper.

hmm. Your not a 'welcome break' employee are you? :erm:

Matthew
28-05-2005, 21:35
:LOL: Nope.

scrotnig
28-05-2005, 22:17

If you're 16, how have you managed that? You can't drive!

moffmeister
28-05-2005, 22:20
His parents can??

Tricky
28-05-2005, 22:21
There used to be a cheap book that you could buy that directed you to decent "services" provided by local villages etc. on most of the UK's motorway links - cannot remember the name of it

allieyoung666
28-05-2005, 22:25
Yeah it is called a map!!! Sorry tricky, well I know Cumbria quite well as I was born and raised there. The easiest thing I can suggest is that you always head for a town as there is always a corner shop on the edge of town, thats what I do when I have to travel to other towns. Plus plan in advance so you can stop and have a mooch or ask at the petrol station they will tell you.

Matthew
28-05-2005, 23:10
Like moffmeister said my parents can and I have been with them when they have been driving.

Stuart
28-05-2005, 23:20
finished :disturbd: , unless i was really desperate , i would never use a service area , i would rather pull off the motorway and go to a local town / village :)

I think it's case of paying for conveniance. Service Areas are near to the Motorway, well sign posted (even from 30 miles away) and open long hours. They also enable you to eat (OK, so the food is crap and expensive), drink (also expensive), go to the toilet, walk around and buy stuff (snacks, cds, books, petrol) with everything either under one roof, or near.

A town or village will probably be cheaper, but there may not be any shops near the motorway, and if you get there late, it may be difficult to find a shop that is open.

Still, as you rightly point out, people do have a choice. I do the same as you (if possible).

Graham
29-05-2005, 00:02
there may not be any shops near the motorway, and if you get there late, it may be difficult to find a shop that is open.

And you may have to be LOCAL

nffc
29-05-2005, 00:24

hmm. Your not a 'welcome break' employee are you? :erm:
Think where he lives, and where the nearest MSA could be. None on the M180, and I think there's one on the M18 near the M1 now... and that's it.. :LOL:

Hom3r
29-05-2005, 00:24
try using the service stations in europe.

In recent years I travel to vaious locations in europe via coach (Luven, Cologne, Bruge).
You had to pay to use the loo in all Belguims loos, it cost 25p:Yikes:

Matthew
29-05-2005, 00:34
There is one as you go onto the M18 about a hour away from here.

Nidge
29-05-2005, 00:42
We stopped at Scotch Corner services a few months ago the prices there was outrageous, 4 coffees and 2 toasties £14. On the way back we stopped at a little cafe just up the road from the services 4 dinners and 4 teas just under £10.

nffc
29-05-2005, 01:17
There is one as you go onto the M18 about a hour away from here.
So there is... M18/M180 intersection (an island, where you HAVE to break the law!)

The M180 is on Pathetic Motorways (http://pathetic.org.uk) BTW :LOL:

allieyoung666
29-05-2005, 10:08
We stopped at Scotch Corner services a few months ago the prices there was outrageous, 4 coffees and 2 toasties £14. On the way back we stopped at a little cafe just up the road from the services 4 dinners and 4 teas just under £10.

~I know the cafe you mean is it the one in the big long lay-by just after scotch corner??? I only use a motorway service station if I have to, you can see who they are geared up for, the businessman who doesnt care as he isnt paying for it and they family, as kids are a blikin pain in the rear end when we go to one of those things. When we were comming back home the other week we had to stop at Scotch Corner as Paul was in discomfort, so I bought 1 tea and 1 coffee, £3.85 and that was from burger king! I was nto best impressed and I wrote them a letter and I am still waiting for the reply!

greencreeper
29-05-2005, 12:22
If you're 16, how have you managed that? You can't drive!
I can tell you've never lived on a Council housing estate. Sometimes all you see is the top of the baseball cap :D

luftys
29-05-2005, 23:49
so I bought 1 tea and 1 coffee, £3.85 and that was from burger king! I was nto best impressed and I wrote them a letter and I am still waiting for the reply!

Well it hard for them to find someone who works for them and who can write :disturbd: