PDA

View Full Version : Speed Upgrade. Please Help

McDave
27-05-2005, 19:25
I have had my NTL since November. I want to upgrade to the 1MB service but I have a set top box. Is there any way to upgrade without replaseing the set top box? It is one of the new types. If I say it's a modem will it upgrade my speed without any fuss?

Also what happens if you exceed the 3GB monthly limit? I have heared that you get a harsh message and advised to upgrade but some people said about a reduced speed when you go over, what is the reduced speed?

Sorry if there are loads of questions.

paulyoung666
27-05-2005, 19:28
hi and :welcome: to the site , you can have the 1mb service on any stb , as for the download limit , its anyones guess at the moment , hope you enjoy your stay here :)

Ignition
27-05-2005, 19:29
I have had my NTL since November. I want to upgrade to the 1MB service but I have a set top box. Is there any way to upgrade without replaseing the set top box? It is one of the new types. If I say it's a modem will it upgrade my speed without any fuss?

Also what happens if you exceed the 3GB monthly limit? I have heared that you get a harsh message and advised to upgrade but some people said about a reduced speed when you go over, what is the reduced speed?

No need to replace Set Top for 1Mbit.

You cannot say it's a modem, it's blatantly obvious that it is not.

Nothing happens at the moment if exceeding the 3GB however this will change, any reduced speed is likely to be very reduced, 150k or slower, however an announcement on this will happen in due time, along with the options available to people.

Roy MM
27-05-2005, 19:29
Just phone CS for 1m you don't need a new STB.

Oh and :welcome: to the site.

JohnHorb
27-05-2005, 19:33

:welcome:

1) If the STB (Set Top Box) is a silver Samsung, it will handle all the current speeds (which are now 1MB, 2MB and 3MB). If it is a (black) PACE, it will handle up to 1MB, but upgrading to 2 or 3MB would require either a new Samsung, or a stand-alone modem.

2) I can't remember whether the upgrade to 1MB is automatic, or if you have the option to stay on the old speed with no cap. (I think the latter)

3) Pretty sure the 3GB cap is not yet in place, but indications are when it is, you will get a reduced speed if you go over, Don't think the reduced speed has been announced yet, but could be as low as dial-up speeds.

[Edit] must learn to type faster.;)

McDave
28-05-2005, 10:56
I have the Silver silver Samsung stb. So I may request the upgrade soon.

The only problem is that with the 300k I download the 3Gb limit every 2 days. If it then limits to dial-up speeds hey I would rather just keep the low 300k because overall the internet would be faster than upgradeing. Maby I will just have to get 2Mb.