PDA

View Full Version : Help with USB Ethernet adapter please?

Glenn
25-05-2005, 14:35
Hi there -

Apologies in advance if my question if too straight forward for all you techies out there, but here goes....

My SACM is connected to my elderly PC via a USB port because I don't have any room on the back of the PC to add a network card, and it has worked perfectly since day one.

I'm interested in trying out Vonage - one of these new internet phone companies, but their website says:

"You will need to switch your high-speed Internet connection from USB to Ethernet in order to use our service. If your computer does not have an Ethernet card, you can purchase a USB to Ethernet Converter to connect your computer to the Linksys RT31P2 Phone Adapter, and ultimately the Internet."

So, if I buy a USB to Ethernet adapter and install it will my internet access kick back in again straight away, or will I have to re-install everything?

I would be grateful for any advice before I start playing around.

Many thanks
Glenn ;)

jonbr
26-05-2005, 08:14
I had to move from my orginal USB setup to Ethernet setup (on a cable modem) because of the VPN software I had for work. All I had to do was switch every thing off inlcuding the CM, connect via the ethernet port (removing the USB cable) and power back on after leaving the CM off for a while.

If you get the USB to ethernet adapter, you might have to install drivers for the adapter depending on your OS, but it should work. Good luck

Glenn
26-05-2005, 11:18
Thanks for the info jonbr!