PDA

View Full Version : PC can't connect via STB

brt1919
22-05-2005, 11:57
Bit of an odd one this, had connection problems in the past, but never like this. This morning I'm getting the screen you get when you attach a new computer to the set top box for the first time. Everything was perfect last night & has been great for ages, but this morning it's asking for PID & password to connect, I enter these & it says the user doesn't exist. The customer services number on the screen is an old one too. I've tried my laptop too via a non wireless connection into the box, & getting the same thing. Have rebooted STB router etc etc with no joy. Also tried contacting customer services but answerphone says no one's working on a Sunday. NTL service page suggests there are a few things going on over the weekend, but not that I wouldn;t be able to connect at all.

I'm in the Bromley area - is anyone else having similar problems?

Thanks

Paul K
22-05-2005, 12:16
Wonder if your area was re-segmented last night? Have you tried powering off the STB for 30 seconds or so to see if you can force it to update?

maverick
22-05-2005, 12:54
Bit of an odd one this, had connection problems in the past, but never like this. This morning I'm getting the screen you get when you attach a new computer to the set top box for the first time. Everything was perfect last night & has been great for ages, but this morning it's asking for PID & password to connect, I enter these & it says the user doesn't exist. The customer services number on the screen is an old one too. I've tried my laptop too via a non wireless connection into the box, & getting the same thing. Have rebooted STB router etc etc with no joy. Also tried contacting customer services but answerphone says no one's working on a Sunday. NTL service page suggests there are a few things going on over the weekend, but not that I wouldn;t be able to connect at all.

I'm in the Bromley area - is anyone else having similar problems?

Thanks

Check your ip address if it starts with a 10. then your stb has been reset in some way,if it is not a 10.ip then try release renewing it.Tech support are available today on 0845 650 0125.

brt1919
22-05-2005, 14:28
thanks for comments so far. I've tried switching off the STP again & re-booting that, router & PC & still the same.

It connects to 172.16.30.84/servlet_vm1/bin & comes up with 'Computer Provisioning Logon'.

I know what my password is, but is the PID the email address but not including the @ntlworld.com ? Although of course I'm not sure whether this makes any difference with the problem, I've tried it with bot.

I'll give Tech Support a call now too.

Thanks

Chris W
22-05-2005, 14:36
the PID number is a number that you were given when you originally installed the BB... it normally begins 000 and will be 10 digits.

Bill C
22-05-2005, 14:37
thanks for comments so far. I've tried switching off the STP again & re-booting that, router & PC & still the same.

It connects to 172.16.30.84/servlet_vm1/bin & comes up with 'Computer Provisioning Logon'.

I know what my password is, but is the PID the email address but not including the @ntlworld.com ? Although of course I'm not sure whether this makes any difference with the problem, I've tried it with bot.

I'll give Tech Support a call now too.

Thanks

Your pid is a number starting 000 which was on your welcome letter

Roy MM
22-05-2005, 14:37
PID should have come with your instalation letter, long number, and your pw in caps.

brt1919
22-05-2005, 15:27
yep, i was being a dimwit! Put in the PID & registered the PC (again) ok, but it says the NTL server cannot be contacted - I'll call tech serv & report back!

(Obviously this is not a new PC set up, I've been using it for about a year)

Interesting... I spoke to NTL tech support & they say that the connection to the STB is fine, so must be my router. What they say is that the router sometimes allocates it's own IP address, not one thats assigned by NTL (the IP address is showing as a 192 address. So now I'm struggling! The guy gave me a number of Linkys tech support to call, but does anyone know why this would happen? I've not done any upgrade to the PC, simply turned it off last night as normal & switched it on again this morning.

right, all fixed & I'm posting this via NTL BB ratherthan dial up.

The linkys tech support was top rate, I lost track a bit of what I was doing, but basically what I said before was right, & when he took me through pinging some stuff I could see the router fine, but not the web.

He got me to change the DNS1 & DNS2 so that rather than pick up automatically, I gave the addresses which were showing in the Linksys set up, & then went back into IE & worked straight away.

So I gotta say this is one time where NTL tech support was perfectly correct, & so too the Linksys. I still have no idea why this happened, but it's fine now...

thanks for replies above, although the tech support solved it, it's reassuring having stuff like this & chetnet to keep you sane when trying to fix problems

Roy MM
22-05-2005, 15:29
Glad your sorted now.