PDA

View Full Version : New 1mb BB not working pls help

andyandy
21-05-2005, 21:47
Hi Guys - Im new here, so please bear with me!:)

Ive just orderded the 1Mb service from NTL, and the guy turned up last saturday to install the cable modem. All fine i thought until i try to register and I get a "unable to authenticate user details" error upon trying to register my PIN etc.

Anyway, I've called the help line, and managed to book an engineer to come out (after 4 attempts!) for today, but they did not show up!!

After speaking to tech support, I have the number of the depot for the engineers, but I've called them, and they didnt seem to want to help either.

I have NTL cable TV, but this is under the name of my landlord, this works fine.

On my cable modem, the sync and ready light flash, which I understand is a problem, also tech support say a "sabs" account needs to be set up for me, but customer service doesn't seem to know what it going on!

After lots of phone calls I seem to be going in circles - can anyone offer any advise please? (before I lose all my hair!!)

Many thanks in advance.

Raistlin
21-05-2005, 21:54
It sounds like either your modem hasn't been correctly linked to your account, or that your account hasn't yet been set up correctly at NTL's end.

I have a funny feeling (I'm sure one of the NTL bod's will correct me if I'm wrong) that SABS is the billing system that NTL use.....Anybody?

:welcome: to Cable Forum by the way, hope you enjoy your stay here :)

homealone
21-05-2005, 22:06
It sounds like either your modem hasn't been correctly linked to your account, or that your account hasn't yet been set up correctly at NTL's end.

I have a funny feeling (I'm sure one of the NTL bod's will correct me if I'm wrong) that SABS is the billing system that NTL use.....Anybody?

:welcome: to Cable Forum by the way, hope you enjoy your stay here :)

Marge is the person who could answer that - she is babysitting tonight, though ;)

- but I think you are correct :tu:

Ignition
21-05-2005, 22:18
Joy, another fscked up provisioning.

You'll need the assistance of Marge or someone similar, sorry I can't assist but my function and access is purely technical.

bayonet
22-05-2005, 08:25
Hi andyandy

With the Sync and RDY flashing after install sounds like an ELF (early life failure) you need to call tech support (0845 650 0121) and get the engineers back to rectify this. As regards the SABS depends where you are because in some cases that will be created when you register. What is you postcode BTW.

If the SYNC and RDY are steady green use internet explorer and use this IP 80.5.178.26, serial number ntl-ct8-cj486 add you PIN and surname should get you through reg ok without the CD. Depending on your operating system e.g. WIN XP,WIN 2k WIN ME or WIN 98 etc check your IP address and if the last number of the four is between 248 and 253 you're on the registration server

andyandy
22-05-2005, 08:51
Hi Bayonet

Many thanks for that info.

My postcode is WD17 (Watford)

Once I get the engineer to visit to sort out the modem problem, do you know if I will still need to have that SABS account set up, or will your advise get me through that? I'm running XP by the way.

Chris W
22-05-2005, 09:36
You do need a SABS account...

If you PM me your account number, or pin number i'll have a look at the account tomorrow for you.

bayonet
22-05-2005, 09:52
Yes couldn't remember what area Watford comes under.

When they fix the modem just type that IP address in internet explorer, where you normally type a www. and if you get a page asking you "Which service do you want to sign up for?" you're in.

Select Broadband and follow the instructions on screen

andyandy
22-05-2005, 09:57
Lovely job!

I'll try that once I manage to get an engineer here!

Any tips on how to do that?;)

bayonet
22-05-2005, 10:06
Plug the ethernet cable in to your PC ...that's the blue cable and open Internet Explorer and follow those instructions

Just PM monkeybreath as per his post about the account setup

andyandy
22-05-2005, 10:18
Sorry - I meant the best way to get an enginner to visit - they didn't show up yesterday so I was trying to see if there was another number to call?!

I've sent monkeybreath my details too.

bayonet
22-05-2005, 10:26
Just call Tech Support to arrange for the engineer to come back 0845 650 0925