PDA

View Full Version : help! how do i decide on a job?!

shredder
21-05-2005, 17:25
hello! as you know i finish university next month and i'm now looking for a job. I have my current job to fall back on as i have been offered full time hours, the only problem is i'm not happy here and i really need to leave as it's bringing me down! the only problem is i have no idea what i want to do! anyone know any good job search sites or advice etc on finding out what career would best suit me?

all advice appreciated ;)

Raistlin
21-05-2005, 17:26
What are you doing at the moment?

What is it about that job that you don't like?

Is there anything about that job that you do like?

What are you doing at University?

shredder
21-05-2005, 17:30
i've been doing business and tourism management at uni (please don't suggest travel agent!) i work for ntl and i'd have thought from this site it was obvious why i don't enjoy it! i want a job a bit more exciting and face to face contact with people other than that i have no idea! not knowing what i'm looking for is making my search in vain!!!

scrotnig
21-05-2005, 17:32
I used to work for ntl and moved to a firm in the same industry but that pay more money.

It's still call-centre related but something like that might make a good 'temporary home' until you do find a more permanent career.

There are other firms too like this...there's loads better than ntl available.

shredder
21-05-2005, 17:34
hmmm i think most places would be better! i'm a really ougoing chatty person and this job just numbs my brain, i've set myself a months target to have started interviews for a new job.....just need to find one now!

Raistlin
21-05-2005, 17:37
i've been doing business and tourism management at uni (please don't suggest travel agent!)

Wouldn't dream of it.....

i work for ntl and i'd have thought from this site it was obvious why i don't enjoy it!

Not to me or I wouldn't have asked.....

i want a job a bit more exciting and face to face contact with people other than that i have no idea!

That's a good place to start, you need to develop on that though. Define exciting. What is it about face to face contact with people that you enjoy? Is it the talking, the getting to know them, the problem solving?

not knowing what i'm looking for is making my search in vain!!!

You search isn't in vain, it just needs direction.

If you could pin down the sorts of things that you actually do that you enjoy (I enjoy working with PCs, I enjoy talking to and meeting new people, I enjoy solving problems) and the sorts of things that you actually do that you don't enjoy (I don't enjoy filling in the reems of forms that we have for everything, I don't enjoy all of the red tape involved in my work, I don't like the open plan nature of our offices) you will find it easier to start evaluating possible future careers.

I would make a top ten list, being as specific as you can, if I were you. That should focus your mind, and therefore your search, a little more than it is at the moment.

scrotnig
21-05-2005, 17:48
hmmm i think most places would be better! i'm a really ougoing chatty person and this job just numbs my brain, i've set myself a months target to have started interviews for a new job.....just need to find one now!
Depends if you're looking for something permanent and/or career orientated, or just a change from ntl until you get your results etc.

shredder
21-05-2005, 17:55
i'm looking for something more permanent now, i want to get settled, but i just don't think i'm suited to the call centre environment. the monotony is the worst part, i would consider something less permanent if it came to it though.

Raistlin, thanks for that i'll get to compiling a list tomorrow!

scrotnig
21-05-2005, 17:56
i'm looking for something more permanent now, i want to get settled, but i just don't think i'm suited to the call centre environment. the monotony is the worst part, i would consider something less permanent if it came to it though.
Hmm, well that's one of the reasons I plan to go to university myself later this year.

Roy MM
21-05-2005, 17:56
o2 in Bury are always taking people on but it's run through manpower who are a crap company.

Chris W
21-05-2005, 17:57
if you are chatty and outgoing, what about going into some kind of sales (no i'm not talking crappy telesales) something like business sales for a company?

Charlie_Bubble
21-05-2005, 18:01
i've been doing business and tourism management at uni (please don't suggest travel agent!) i work for ntl and i'd have thought from this site it was obvious why i don't enjoy it! i want a job a bit more exciting and face to face contact with people other than that i have no idea! not knowing what i'm looking for is making my search in vain!!!

Have you thought about something else in the tourism industry apart from travel agency work?

Raistlin
21-05-2005, 18:01
Raistlin, thanks for that i'll get to compiling a list tomorrow!

NP, if you post the list back here somebody may be able to make some suggestions for you.

Halcyon
21-05-2005, 18:22
I've also just finished Uni.
Instead of looking up specific jobs, I'm going to look at a range of jobs and see what skills are required and then see how they match up to my own skills and then see where I stand.
You could look in your local newspaper, they normally have a day of the week dedicated to jobs, or online.
www.fish4.co.uk
http://www.jobsite.co.uk/

allieyoung666
21-05-2005, 21:20
How about being a courier over the summer and then you will have a better idea when you return, dont you fancy doing something like working at a Haven, we got talking to an entertainer there and he was having a ball, he said it was such a laugh and if you like chatting to people and meeting people then it is a great job.
They have a kind of medical centre there and if I wasnt in the middle of research we would have probally moved there. The money was crap but it doesnt matter, if you love what you do, money should not matter, plus they put you up!
There are lots of areas within the travel industry, not just travel agents, why dont you explore it a bit more before jumping in feet first and not knowing what is ahead of you. It has taken me 8yrs to find the right job and paul about 15yrs.

bmxbandit
21-05-2005, 21:24
you could always do as i'm about to, eschew the agony of the real world for a few more years, by doing a PhD :D

allieyoung666
21-05-2005, 21:31
Coward!!!!!You have to face the big world sometime!!!

shredder
24-05-2005, 14:34
well i have decided to apply for a job as an airhostess for the 18 months whilst i wait for my friends to finish uni and then we're off to travel the world! i'm just filling in the application form now and as usual i'm stuck on the dreaded why do you want this job question!

"Why are you interested in this post, and in what ways are your knowledge and experience applicable?
Please explain below."

can anyone help? my mind has gone blank i can't put into words why i want to do it! ;)

homealone
24-05-2005, 14:38
well i have decided to apply for a job as an airhostess for the 18 months whilst i wait for my friends to finish uni and then we're off to travel the world! i'm just filling in the application form now and as usual i'm stuck on the dreaded why do you want this job question!

"Why are you interested in this post, and in what ways are your knowledge and experience applicable?
Please explain below."

can anyone help? my mind has gone blank i can't put into words why i want to do it! ;)

Because you want to complement your degree with an opportunity to visit other parts of the world, experience different cultures & meet new & interesting people.

- oh and you havn't made the 'mile high' club yet....:D

shredder
24-05-2005, 14:40
Because you want to complement your degree with an opportunity to visit other parts of the world, experience different cultures & meet new & interesting people.

- oh and you havn't made the 'mile high' club yet....:D

thank you! that was what i was thinking but i couldn't phrase it properly! i might put my wish to join the mile high club on there too oooh and pilots! think that'll impress them?

homealone
24-05-2005, 14:44
thank you! that was what i was thinking but i couldn't phrase it properly! i might put my wish to join the mile high club on there too oooh and pilots! think that'll impress them?

:LOL: - they may wonder which motive has the priority - I'd stick with the BS :D

shredder
24-05-2005, 14:49
:LOL: - they may wonder which motive has the priority - I'd stick with the BS :D

i think you may be right there, i'll keep my secret motivations to myself!!

Angua
24-05-2005, 14:52
I thougt they were called Cabin Crew now? Wierdest thing is if you have a job it is easier to get another one.

Good luck.

shredder
24-05-2005, 15:00
they are called cabin crew but i like airhotess better! will call it cabin crew if i get an interview though!

Caspar
24-05-2005, 15:04

If you want a call centre job then give me a shout. I work for one in Cheadle, Manchester ;)

shredder
24-05-2005, 15:41
If you want a call centre job then give me a shout. I work for one in Cheadle, Manchester ;)

Thanks, i've been working in a call centre for the last 14 months, looking for something more face-to-face now. thank you anyway! ;)

Maggy
24-05-2005, 17:01
There are far too many graduates chasing far too few graduate type jobs so you may be working for ntl for a while...However be thankful you have a job.My daughter finished uni this time last year and has only had two temporary jobs in that time...

Good luck. :tu: