PDA

View Full Version : Remote reboot of cable modem

philquinney
21-05-2005, 11:13
Hey Everyone,

I have a strange request!

At my flat in London I have an ntl broadband connection through a cable modem - which I keep an eye on remotely. For some reason I don't seem to be able to ping my IP address any more. This usually happens every couple of weeks (possibly because NTL are doing some kind of maintenance) and a reboot of my cable modem fixes it.

However, I'm away from London at the moment, and am worried that the modem has gone off because we've run out of credit on our electricity meter: which means all our food is nicely defrosting :erm:

I'm pretty sure that its just that the internet connection is gone. If my IP address had changed I would be able to see my router's updated IP in dynamic dns.

What would be great (if possible / allowable) would be if one of the NTL staff could remotely reboot my cable modem. I can prove that its my account.

Thanks to anyone who can help,

Phil.

PS: I'm not even sure if this is possible: if there is no connection then NTL themselves may not be able to see the cable modem / reboot it. I just thought it would be worth a try.

Phil.

Chris W
21-05-2005, 11:18
shove me the mac address of the modem in a PM , or if you haven't got that then the last public ip address that it had.

philquinney
21-05-2005, 14:02
Well, thanks to the genius of monkeybreath its all sorted. A big thankyou goes to monkeybreath.

Phil.

Psy-Blade
05-07-2006, 10:21
Hey there. I'm just wandering is the remote reboot only able to be done by ntl from the outside? or is it possible to do over the LAN, I ask as our modem drops its connection 3 or 4 times a day. Usually at night in which case i can't go and reset it without waking everyone up. If i was able to reboot it from my pc that would be great.

Thanks for any help
Mandeep :)

James Henry
05-07-2006, 10:38
Hey there. I'm just wandering is the remote reboot only able to be done by ntl from the outside? or is it possible to do over the LAN, I ask as our modem drops its connection 3 or 4 times a day. Usually at night in which case i can't go and reset it without waking everyone up. If i was able to reboot it from my pc that would be great.

Thanks for any help
Mandeep :)
Wow a year old thread brought back to life ;)

Only ntl can reset your modem remotely, it's a message sent over SNMP and you need to first be able to access the modem over SNMP, second know the right community string for write access and third know the MIB to reset the modem.

It's abnormal for a modem to drop connection multiple times a day and need a reboot and it suggests the modem is faulty or you've signal issues, these should be resolved.

Psy-Blade
05-07-2006, 10:46
The signal levels from what I have checked appear to be normal. We've had this issue for a long time, had 2 engineers out but they don't do much anyway. I'm waiting for it to go down again so i can see what the event log says. Is it possible to request one of the newer modems off ntl, i beleieve this one is an ambit 120.

Mandeep

Chris W
05-07-2006, 18:31
You can reboot your modem from the config pages

http://192.168.100.1/TlDefaults.asp

you have to do a master reset on it to achieve it, but this results in the modem being rebooted :)

TheNorm
05-07-2006, 19:53
What's the username and password? How do you do the master reset? Will this annoy ntl?

bongman_uk
06-07-2006, 18:34
for that link:

User : root
pass : root

Psy-Blade
06-07-2006, 22:54
Hmm. I get nothing but a blank page when i go to that link. Any ideas?

Mandeep.

TheNorm
06-07-2006, 22:58
Just try the IP address, i.e. http://192.168.100.1/

Rik
06-07-2006, 22:58
Hmm. I get nothing but a blank page when i go to that link. Any ideas?

Mandeep.

Make sure you arent using a Proxy Server in your browser settings, otherwise you wont be able to access :D

TheNorm
06-07-2006, 23:00
I still can't see the option to reboot. My box is as follows:

Type : Ambit ETH/USB Combo Cable Modem
Cable modem : Ambit Cable Modem

Psy-Blade
06-07-2006, 23:05
I can get through if i just enter http://192.168.100.1/. i see a screen in which i can click several links, and view details but no button as far as i can see to reset the modem.

Mandeep.

TheNorm
07-07-2006, 23:08
Sorted! Log on, then on the opening page select the third link across the top "Set Ethernet Type" - then press reset.

Easy when you know how!