PDA

View Full Version : Hoodies down, visitors up!

Chimaera
19-05-2005, 09:36
BBC link (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/4561399.stm)

Bluewater shopping centre enjoyed a sharp rise in visitor numbers on the first weekend since it banned youths wearing hooded tops and baseball caps.

Some 23% more people visited the Kent mall last weekend than during the same weekend in 2004.

Interesting! I didn't realise Bluewater had also banned swearing - now that's a good thing IMHO, I hate anyone of any age using the 'f' word (or worse) as many times as possible in a sentence. :td:

MetaWraith
19-05-2005, 09:43
Whilst i realise there probably is strong link between the visitor numbers and the hoodie ban, but quoting one figure out of context is not good statistics. There could be other factors to consider, weather, major events, local events, businesses closing elsewhere etc.

It would be nice if the BBC did a follow up article, say a couple of months down the line with figures to show a trend was evolving

BBKing
19-05-2005, 09:45
Banning swearing bans about half of all conversations with my other half, who is something of a pottymouth.

Incidentally, the correct equation is

Hoodie ban + acres of free publicity = visitor numbers up

Paul K
19-05-2005, 09:50
Whilst i realise there probably is strong link between the visitor numbers and the hoodie ban, but quoting one figure out of context is not good statistics. There could be other factors to consider, weather, major events, local events, businesses closing elsewhere etc.

It would be nice if the BBC did a follow up article, say a couple of months down the line with figures to show a trend was evolving
That and the additional free advertising they got from tv and newspaper reports on the ban. Stats can be used to show anything if you know what you are doing ;) I wouldn't be too suprised if visitor numbers stay higher than the pre-ban levels as it may be that visitors now feel safer /more comfortable being able to shop without groups of people (young and old) hanging around trying to look menacing with their faces partially hidden :rolleyes:

Chimaera
19-05-2005, 09:50
I wonder if the visitor numbers at Lakeside have changed, as they are the next nearest 'mall' and haven't got a hoodie/baseball cap ban? :shrug:
I'll have to start wearring my hood up/baseball cap on if I don't get my roots done soon! :Yikes:

Chris W
19-05-2005, 10:20
I remember when I used to go to Bluewater management meetings... The BW Management tried to convince the store managers every years that the number of visitors had gone up. We all knew they had dropped dramatically, but it was just a case of working out how the BW management had fiddled the statistics to make them show what they wanted to :rolleyes:

etccarmageddon
19-05-2005, 12:26
...I wouldn't be too suprised if visitor numbers stay higher than the pre-ban levels as it may be that visitors now feel safer /more comfortable being able to shop without groups of people (young and old) hanging around trying to look menacing with their faces partially hidden :rolleyes:Too right. They are a growing menace.

Jules
19-05-2005, 12:54
Interesting! I didn't realise Bluewater had also banned swearing - now that's a good thing IMHO, I hate anyone of any age using the 'f' word (or worse) as many times as possible in a sentence. :td:

I am glad some one feels the same as me... I thought it was just me being old fashioned!

andyl
19-05-2005, 13:07
Remember when punks were the demons?

Call me old fashioned but why can't they just deal with people who cause trouble and leave the innocent hooded fashionistas alone?

I'm off to the Trafford Centre this afternoon which has also apparently banned hoodies. My lad tends to wear 'em so we'll see what happens.

But surely the biggest headache when out shopping is chuggers and "market researchers". Give me a hooded youth over them any day!

homealone
19-05-2005, 13:18
Remember when punks were the demons?

Call me old fashioned but why can't they just deal with people who cause trouble and leave the innocent hooded fashionistas alone?

I'm off to the Trafford Centre this afternoon which has also apparently banned hoodies. My lad tends to wear 'em so we'll see what happens.

But surely the biggest headache when out shopping is chuggers and "market researchers". Give me a hooded youth over them any day!

you couldn't get a hoodie or a baseball cap over a mohican, though, Andy;)

I don't see what all the fuss is about, nobody is saying don't wear a hoodie - just have the hood down when inside the mall. As far as I can see it is exactly the same principle as that which requires bikers to remove their helmet before entering a bank...

Jason1
19-05-2005, 13:25
No swearing, No smoking, No caps, No hoodies thats blue water off the cards for me.

I am not one of these people that hang in big groups when i go shopping.
To be not able to do any of the above has resulted in a change of my shopping habits, as i will now make most purchases at lakeside and Oxford St instead Lakeside have a smoking ban but dont enforce it.

Shame i liked Bluewater what makes me laugh is that i always remove my hood before entering shops out of respect anyway, but now I would be thrown out just for wearing a hooded garment

Jules
19-05-2005, 13:43
Surely it is only if you have your hood up that it applies otherwise what about people wearing coats with hoods on etc?

danielf
19-05-2005, 13:45
you couldn't get a hoodie or a baseball cap over a mohican, though, Andy;)

You could make a slit in the hood to pass the Mohican through. That would be one cool look :cool:

Paul K
19-05-2005, 13:48
No swearing, No smoking, No caps, No hoodies thats blue water off the cards for me.

I am not one of these people that hang in big groups when i go shopping.
To be not able to do any of the above has resulted in a change of my shopping habits, as i will now make most purchases at lakeside and Oxford St instead Lakeside have a smoking ban but dont enforce it.

Shame i liked Bluewater what makes me laugh is that i always remove my hood before entering shops out of respect anyway, but now I would be thrown out just for wearing a hooded garment
No you can't :rolleyes:
As has been pointed out already
Intimidating behaviour by groups or individuals, anti-social behaviour including swearing, and wearing clothing which deliberately obscures the face / head*(e.g. hooded tops or baseball caps), are among the guidelines detailed in the code.

It also reminds all visitors to the centre that Bluewater is a non-smoking environment and no leafleting, canvassing or surveys can take place on the malls.
So you are only affected if you are seen to be obscuring your face, not just wearing a hooded top etc.
http://www.bluewater.co.uk/default.asp?id=70

bmxbandit
19-05-2005, 13:52
You could make a slit in the hood to pass the Mohican through. That would be one cool look :cool:
heh, ill have to give that a go... my hair is rapidly getting too big! and umbrellas are just plain irritating.

i keep having to wind back the seat in my car as well, damned low roof!

danielf
19-05-2005, 14:03
heh, ill have to give that a go... my hair is rapidly getting too big! and umbrellas are just plain irritating.

i keep having to wind back the seat in my car as well, damned low roof!

Nice one... Style never goes out of fashion :)

ian@huth
19-05-2005, 14:03
I wonder how Bluewater and Lakeside calculate visitor numbers? AFAIK there are no counters to do this task. Both my wife and daughter used to work for Capital Shopping Centres at Lakeside and neither of them know how it is done.

Wonder what Bluewaters policy is on females wearing Hijab or similar religous face coverings?

andyl
19-05-2005, 14:05
I have no problem at all with people being chucked for anti-social behaviour, its being chucked out without being found to have committed anti-social behaviour that bother me. Kids wear hoodies up cos that's what kids do at the moment. People may not like it. People may not like exposed and bulging midriffs and knicker exposing skirts (sorry if I'm getting a few of you going), or body piercings, or old people that smell of wee, but they aren't going to get banned. The deliberately obscuring argument has some credence but not a lot if these kids are not actually causing problems as opposed to not looking particularly desirable to some people. Motorcycle helmets were banned in banks after a spate of armed robberies - not noticed these being reported at Bluewater.