PDA

View Full Version : Is NTL Freedom Broadband covered here?

Scuba Diver
18-05-2005, 21:01
I'm new to this forum and wondered whether the NTL Freedom broadband (which is ADSL) is covered here. I'm a cable user but my pal has just recently subscribed to Freedom broadband, been sold a Linksys wireless gateway/router by PC World and then asked me to help set it up.:Yikes:
I managed to do my own set up successfully but am struggling with the ADSL set up.
Before I describe what I've tried so far I thought it best to ask what's covered in the forum.

simbr
18-05-2005, 21:39
I don't know if it's 'covered' by the forums, but I can give basic advised on connecting to Freedom ADSL using a router.

Most important settings are:
Encapsulation: PPPoA (PPP over ATM)
VPI/VCI: 0/38

Also, remember the username is in the format username@adsl.ntlworld.com

Russ
18-05-2005, 21:54
I'm new to this forum and wondered whether the NTL Freedom broadband (which is ADSL) is covered here. I'm a cable user but my pal has just recently subscribed to Freedom broadband, been sold a Linksys wireless gateway/router by PC World and then asked me to help set it up.:Yikes:
I managed to do my own set up successfully but am struggling with the ADSL set up.
Before I describe what I've tried so far I thought it best to ask what's covered in the forum.

Hi and welcome to the site.

Not sure what you mean by "is ntl ADSL covered here" but this site is for the discussion of all cabled products, whether supplied by ntl or telewest.

Graham M
18-05-2005, 22:14
What make/model of router is it?

Stuart
18-05-2005, 22:32
QUOTE]

Not sure what you mean by "is ntl ADSL covered here" but this site is for the discussion of all cabled products, whether supplied by ntl or telewest.

And it frequently covers ADSL products as well. Whether officially or not.

Chris W
18-05-2005, 22:52

Russ you sound like you are trying to put the OP off!

Lots of people here know lots about ADSL so, although it is primarily a cable forum, we will do all we can do to help with ADSL :)

Paul
18-05-2005, 22:55
Yes we cover all ntl's dial-up and broadband internet products (inc their new ADSL). :)

Russ
18-05-2005, 22:57
Russ you sound like you are trying to put the OP off!

Lots of people here know lots about ADSL so, although it is primarily a cable forum, we will do all we can do to help with ADSL :)

....which is exactly what I said....:confused:

Scuba Diver
19-05-2005, 21:14
Thanks everybody, now we've straightened that out I'll add some more detail to my problem:)

Simbr's point about the username is one thing I'll try as I got that wrong. The other point where I'm rather confused is that NTL have given me a Host Name of Home 500 to use - however the router (a Linksys WAG54G) doesn't allow a space between Home and 500 in the set up. There is also a field for Domain Name which I've left blank as NTL didn't provide that information.

simbr
20-05-2005, 15:57
this site is for the discussion of all cabled products, whether supplied by ntl or telewest.
(Freedom ADSL is not cabled)

Graham M
20-05-2005, 16:02
OK, and back on topic maybe? We're trying to get Scuba's NTL Freedom working...

Russ
20-05-2005, 17:30
(Freedom ADSL is not cabled)

(But it's supplied by a cable company ;))

steffm
21-05-2005, 11:51
when i worked for ntl freedom, wireless networking wasnt supported, as far as i know it still isnt

simbr
23-05-2005, 16:58
well, on-topic I think "host name" can be left blank. Home 500 is, I believe, the name of the datastream service you ahve been provisioned with.