PDA

View Full Version : The latest kids craze - Scoobiedou String.

zoombini
18-05-2005, 09:10
Are your kids into Scoobie strings?

The latest kids craze where they have 1m plastic strings & tie them into knots to make shapes & pretty things?
(all the Scouts pop their heads up saying - I did that!)

Well if they are, here is something to help them in their knot tying.

Note for board admin = freeware distribution.
Copyright/Reproduction Limitations
It may be reproduced only in its entirety for circulation as "freeware," without charge.

If anyone wants it in PDF format instead I can provide that too.

dilli-theclaw
18-05-2005, 09:14
I dunno about kids - but my missis has potty over these things.

I'm not sure what it is that supposed to help (in your post tho - presuming you're fixing it now) But anything that would - would be nice - including a pdf :)

zoombini
18-05-2005, 09:18
Damn, it really screwed up then.
I have been having lots of problems recently where if I edit or reply to a post I just get an error page - proxy problems I think.

Anyway, I wont upload it - I notice it's 5mb+ so a bit too much, instead I'll email it to anyone that asks, either word or PDF format.

bear in mind that it's 184 pages long :D

On 2nd Thoughts - Pdf = 32mb...lol No Way Jose..

dilli-theclaw
18-05-2005, 09:19
I just sent a PM - but if it's too big don't worry about it :)

Chimaera
18-05-2005, 09:22
Well they were all the rage when I was 'younger' - but I never really got into it. Thet seem to be all the rage again now - certainly in all the schools I've visited recently. so now I'm going to attempt to learn! I found this (http://www.boondoggleman.com/look_in_tin.htm) site which is quite good - I've bought the plastic 'laces' - now it's time to have a go! :)

zoombini
18-05-2005, 09:23
Uploading it to my gmail account now.
It's compressed with Winrar.

dilli-theclaw
18-05-2005, 09:25
Well they were all the rage when I was 'younger' - but I never really got into it. Thet seem to be all the rage again now - certainly in all the schools I've visited recently. so now I'm going to attempt to learn! I found this (http://www.boondoggleman.com/look_in_tin.htm) site which is quite good - I've bought the plastic 'laces' - now it's time to have a go! :)

My missus get's them down the market for £1 a packet, she's always fiddling with them - thanks for the site btw :)

Chimaera
18-05-2005, 09:28
My missus get's them down the market for £1 a packet, she's always fiddling with them - thanks for the site btw :)
Yeah - the pound shop is my friend for that sort of thing at the moment! ;)

Uploading it to my gmail account now.
It's compressed with Winrar.
OOOhh - could you send it to me please? :kiss:

zoombini
18-05-2005, 10:10
Still waiting for it to upload to gmail, have changed it to a zip file.
can't remember if gmail accepts them either. it's 4+mb compressed.

omg!
NOW i HAVE IT IN 3 FORMATS - LOL

Angua
18-05-2005, 10:18

Thanks this site gives nice and clear instructions even though the strands are flat rather than round as Skoobies:tu::tu::tu::)

zoombini
18-05-2005, 10:31
Damn Gmail isn't sending..grrr.

I'll get it out to you later...

Halcyon
18-05-2005, 10:34
I used to have these in France when I was young.
You'd have to form two loops and then pass the two other wires through those loops and then pull it together and it would extend it.
Seems likes ages ago now.

zoombini
18-05-2005, 10:43
OK, as I am having loads of online email problems I'll send it out later tonight from home.
I can't use my works email account for it.

Graham M
18-05-2005, 11:41
Do u want some web space to upload it to Zoombini?

zoombini
18-05-2005, 13:34
I have plenty, I just cannot use FTP while at work.

Later on will do, it won't hurt to wait :D

I could mail it from work but that would give out my real name & I'm not keen on doing that, AFAIK only I-web know that from here :D

How about I just stary quoting it, all 184 pages :D

first take some string, then whizz it about a bit till you have tied a knot.
then tie it to your keys. :D

Maggy
18-05-2005, 13:56
If I get one more child trying to do this instead of the classwork that is set, I will take every single strand and macrame a noose of them and hang the little blighters one by one... :mad: :grind: :afire:

Well perhaps not, but I am confiscating a lot of these things. :mad:

scoubies indeed..it's plain old macrame under another name in plastic rather than string. :rolleyes:

I've got several books on the subject tucked away somewhere...

smicer07
18-05-2005, 13:58
Same here Incognitas, they are a bloody pain in the arse in class!

bmxbandit
18-05-2005, 14:15
The latest kids craze where they have 1m plastic strings & tie them into knots to make shapes & pretty things?
(all the Scouts pop their heads up saying - I did that!)
sure did, but we learnt the knots for practical applications - like aerial runways, monkey bridges, rafts etc. :D

also, i trust my knots enough to tie stuff to my roofrack!

zoombini
18-05-2005, 15:56
So this is where I pop down to our local scout group & become super knot hero, showing them how to tie Scoobiedoos... lol

Time to dig out me uniform lol

danielf
18-05-2005, 16:45
scoubies indeed..it's plain old macrame under another name in plastic rather than string. :rolleyes:

I've got several books on the subject tucked away somewhere...

And you admit to that on a public forum? :disturbd:

zoombini
18-05-2005, 18:05
OK, I'm home now.

here (www.zoombini.plus.com/Scoubidou-Mega-Guide.rar) it is, ready for download by all.

Now your gonna be stuck in front of the PC tying knots :D

Chimaera
18-05-2005, 18:20
Thank you!! Dinner will now be delayed by several days until I get the hang of this................ :D

dilli-theclaw
18-05-2005, 18:23
Thanks indeedy - Buxom woman will be pleased.

Maybe I'll have a go too.

Monster Jedi
18-05-2005, 18:24
what ever happend to scooby snacks :shrug:

Chimaera
18-05-2005, 18:25
what ever happend to scooby snacks :shrug:
You can buy them in the pet food aisle in Tesco's - my dog is very partial to them! ;)
http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/images/prod/20382619_sm.jpg

Monster Jedi
18-05-2005, 18:27
You can buy them in the pet food aisle in Tesco's - my dog is very partial to them! ;)

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

zoombini
18-05-2005, 18:28
er indoors has got home, with another mega pack of string fro the boys, so that they stop pinching thier sisters.

Maybe I'll have a go later, but with real cord instead.

Chimaera
18-05-2005, 18:29
:sick: They are just like ordinary dog biscuits - revolting! Explains the term 'dog breath' I suppose!

Maggy
18-05-2005, 19:58
er indoors has got home, with another mega pack of string fro the boys, so that they stop pinching thier sisters.

Maybe I'll have a go later, but with real cord instead.

Going to make a handbag? :D

And you admit to that on a public forum? :disturbd:

Of course! I'm an art and craft trained teacher I'll have you know..Macrame was just one of the skills I've imparted to students.I can also basket weave(made a crib for my babies),throw a pot,stack a kiln,polish stones,make enamelled jewellry and I've also made gold and silver jewellery when at college...I can also screen print a well as wax resist print..oh the list goes on... ;)

Matthew
18-05-2005, 20:12
When I was at work tonight a few kids came in with some string things it must be this that your all talking about.

Florence
18-05-2005, 21:43
It is Mathew the kids have gone crazy over them. It has caused a few fights today on the playground those to lazy to learn have started stealing the others and we are on the verge of banning them from the playground.. Whatr started out as a good method of entertaining the children has exploded into war.

I was even kicked splitting one fight up they are using fists feet and pulling hair little horrors.

zoombini
18-05-2005, 23:22
My daughter has started selling hers to her school chums.
She gets a bag of 150 of them for £4 and sells the strings at 10p each.

Enterprising little madam!

Maggy
19-05-2005, 07:38
Well it's not got to fighting yet BUT I can see it coming to a ban eventually.

Frankly what with walkmans,iPODS,mp3 players,mobile phonees and cameras it's getting harder and harder to keep fas out of the classroom.Where they get the idea that they can do them INSTEAD of classwork beats me. :rolleyes:

Florence
19-05-2005, 08:37
Well it's not got to fighting yet BUT I can see it coming to a ban eventually.

Frankly what with walkmans,iPODS,mp3 players,mobile phonees and cameras it's getting harder and harder to keep fas out of the classroom.Where they get the idea that they can do them INSTEAD of classwork beats me. :rolleyes:

Yes you would think primary school wouldn't be so rough god help the teachers at high school with what we are sending on this year.

One lad slipped his mobile in and was using it as a calculator for his sats good job he was only a yr5 pupil..

Monster Jedi
19-05-2005, 09:20
If some cars are called scoobie's
Some dogs are called scoobie
Then there's these strings called Scoobie strings?

Whats a shaggy then?????????????

Chimaera
19-05-2005, 09:22
If some cars are called scoobie's
Some dogs are called scoobie
Then there's these strings called Scoobie strings?

Whats a shaggy then?????????????
Didn't your parents ever tell you that one? :blush: :D

Monster Jedi
19-05-2005, 11:50
Didn't your parents ever tell you that one? :blush: :D

yes they did tell me a shaggy dog story once :D