PDA

View Full Version : spear a thought

leeswin
22-09-2003, 00:50
bit long winded fraid

Ok bit of a rant not about ntl for a difference. I work for a computer company (no exact details fraid) as it support. After a rather long 8.5h day on Friday I decided to be generous as there was 1 call waiting to take the call, bearing in mind my shift had finished.

The call started rather nice hello my name ism x etc etc. the customer then went through the probs, after 15 mins of tests and diagnostics, I advised the customer it seemed to be a prob with his X brand modem (external faster modem) and to phone the ISP as they would need to take from there (even advised the user what to ask)

He didnâ₠¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t like this (big time) and as far as I can say he over reacted. Stating I was fobbing him off and didnâ₠¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t want to know, and what a blank waste to money the unit was, and how he had wasted a phone call, and how I was a blank useless waste of space and how blank rude I was (well you get the idea at thins time).

So I wasted 45 mins of my personal time (for free as it was my decision to take the call, I didnâ₠¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t get paid for it) to be called all the names under the sun.

This post is purely to let me blow off steam as im worried about going back to work tomorrow, and more importantly just remind every person (regardless of weather they work for a helpline or not) out there that the over guy on the end of the phone is a human being as well. I also think we all deserver to be treated as such.

Please if you react like this customer or by chance its you reading this please think how you would react under these circumstances, what would you say?

Marge
22-09-2003, 00:58
Try not to take it personally, the person shouting and bawling at the other end is not really shouting at you, you're just someone they can get out all their frustrations on.

Thats not to say that it is justified but 9 times out of 10 once they have shouted it all out you can usually have a decent conversation. Don't worry about going back into work, the nice ones outweigh the horrors.

imback
22-09-2003, 01:01
If I get someone shouting at me, I always thank them for their beautifull use of the English language and advise I will take their constructive critisism on board, seems to make them realise how stupid they have been, then they say sorry, and I help them while we both act like grown ups :D

kronas
22-09-2003, 01:38
Originally posted by imback
while we both act like grown ups :D

what you a grown up thats news to me :p :D

but yeah dont take it personally people want technologys to work and unfortunately they dont always do so they are frustrated and want a quick fix solution some think they know it all and are being fobbed off etc just dont take it to heart keep calm and tell the person that you are giving them the correct advice and proceed to end the call :)

imback
22-09-2003, 01:40
Originally posted by kronas
what you a grown up thats news to me :p :D

I didn't say I was, I said I'd act like I was :p :D

Atomic22
22-09-2003, 19:22
sometimes the people on the ntl help line though just tell you total lies to fob you off