PDA

View Full Version : 2mb Cable Modem replacement for STB

Vonderful
17-05-2005, 17:50
PLEASE HELP!!!

This morning i got the new ntl:250 cable modem installed as the Samsung STB do not work in my area. Previous to this i was using hte Pace STB to connect to the internet. The STB was connected to my linksys WRT54G wirelss router with no probs (i have linkssys wireless cards in main pc). After engineer left this morning i tried registering the modem with NTl with no luck!

All i did was disconnect cat5 from STB, connect it to modem which is sitting on STB whcih connects to router. Rebooted it all according to engineers instructions, follwed cd installation...but it all falls down at registration..error tells me there was error registering.

Contacted NTL support, they tell me they cant help me as im using router. I cant connect PC to modem as id need about 40 foot of cable!

Im going insane now, and being a girl im liable to have a paddy!!

PLEASE ASSIST!!!

Cheers!

Chris W
17-05-2005, 17:56
:welcome:

try visiting https://80.5.178.26/ and registering there.... are you able to register there? if so, cool :) If not, then what is the exact error message that you are given?

homealone
17-05-2005, 18:09
is it possible that the stb MAC address is still cloned in the router, if so, putting it back to 00 00 etc should enable the modem & router to talk to each other properly when rebooted.??

spike7451
17-05-2005, 18:20
Does the spine of the Install disc say 200/250 on it?Apparently the old discs dont have all the drivers on it.Also,are you using windows millenium? I've had a lot of problems getting routers to work.
Try turning OFF all the anti virus/firewalls & then try the disc.If not,go to 'internet options' ( in control panel0
Go to connections & add a new one.Make sure 'never dial' is ticked & on the LAN page,tick 'automatically detect...' only.
Open I.E & type 'autoreg.autoregister.net (all lower case & NO www before the address.
Click Broardband & go from there.
Yuo'll see 3 boxes & type in;

(- denotes next box)
ntl-ct8-cj486.

Oh,if its win xp,there are some settings in the administrator page that need to be selected,but as i'm using 2000, i cant tell which ones they are,
Sorry,
Spike

ian@huth
17-05-2005, 18:31
Didn't think you needed the CD at all for ethernet connection.

spike7451
17-05-2005, 18:40
Technicly,you dont.It's just it's handy for someone with little or no pc knowledge as it adjusts the setting & installs various software on the pc,as well as making ure the pc is 'in spec'so to speak.
I never use the cd at work as i find it a pain in the *** & i can fix a fault faster without it.
Spike

Vonderful
17-05-2005, 18:42
Hi all,

thanks for the advice..i have tried https://80.5.178.26/ and i never needed to clone mac address for STB use. I simply cant connect to the internet with the modem connected to router..once i reconnect STB to router all is well. I cant try connecting modem to pc as it is too far to each.

the cd is ineed the 200/250 one. im no sure if its this thats the issue as i cant even log onto the web above.

I have turned off all firewalls etc...im thinking i may need to do somehting with my linksys settings...at moment i have it set to automatic dchp with local ip address being 192.168.1.1 subnet 255.255.255.0 and DCHp server enabled. I have reset all other settings in router to factory defaults in case mac filters was causing problems..still no luck!

the wireless network is ok as i can connect my pda to my pc no worries...just cant get online to register..

this thing is going out of the window soon!! followed by a phone call to ntl to cancel tv/phone and broadband! as much as i hate mt murdoch i cant be without internet!!

JohnHorb
17-05-2005, 18:53
I THINK the latest modems are auto-detect. Perhaps some NTL bod could confirm. If not, at least some of the old PACE boxes required a cross-over cable, wheras most modems etc, if they are NOT auto-detect, require a straight-through cable. Are you using the same cable from the router to the modem as you previously used between the STB and router?

Vonderful
17-05-2005, 18:56
to begin with i used the same cable, then thought this may be the issue, used the one the engineer brought, still same issue! May try the cable i have connected from xbox to router....this REALLY has me foxed!!

homealone
17-05-2005, 18:59
<snip> i never needed to clone mac address for STB use. I simply cant connect to the internet with the modem connected to router..once i reconnect STB to router all is well. I cant try connecting modem to pc as it is too far to each.

<snip>..at moment i have it set to automatic dchp with local ip address being 192.168.1.1 subnet 255.255.255.0 and DCHp server enabled. I have reset all other settings in router to factory defaults in case mac filters was causing problems..still no luck! <snip>

sorry to harp about this, but can you confirm the MAC address on the relevant router 'advanced' page is set to all zeroes??

the other settings look fine :)

JohnHorb
17-05-2005, 19:03
May be a problem with the modem setup. If NTL TS won't assist, perhaps some kind NTL poster could check it out remotely? (Hint!)

sorry to harp about this, but can you confirm the MAC address on the relevant router 'advanced' page is set to all zeroes??

the other settings look fine :)

This has ME confused - surely any MAC address cloned in the router would be the PC MAC address originally used to register, not the STB MAC address?

Vonderful
17-05-2005, 19:06
i have the mac address clone thing set to disabled...and the boxes are full of zeros.

I WOULD BE MOST GRATEFUL if anyone can resolve this...i have a week off work and was looking forward to getting al this setup!!

This has ME confused - surely any MAC address cloned in the router would be the PC MAC address originally used to register, not the STB MAC address?[/QUOTE]

i tested this and yes if i clone the mac address it is indeed the mac of the pc and not the STB.

homealone
17-05-2005, 19:07
This has ME confused - surely any MAC address cloned in the router would be the PC MAC address originally used to register, not the STB MAC address?

I always get this confused, John, suffice to say I am on a SACM, which is why the words are coming out slightly lower than my mouth :dunce: ;)

- however, the point that for a SACM the router MAC should be set to all zeroes, does work - well it does for mine, anyway :)

JohnHorb
17-05-2005, 19:16
I'm not familiar with your particular router, but if you connect to the router 'console' (probably something like typing 192.168.1.1 in the browsr address), does it show a WAN IP address? (I.e. the IP address the router is getting, or not getting, from the cable modem). I assume your PC is connecting to the router OK, as all works with the STB connected, but, to be sure, open a command window on the PC and type

ipconfig/all

You should have an IP address of 192.168.x.x, and a DHCP address, DNS address and default gateway all 192.168.1.1 (assuming that is your router address from post #1)

Vonderful
17-05-2005, 19:19
i think this is what i was getting when the modem was connected..definalty what im getting now with stb..ill disconnect and take a look.

BTW thannk you all SO much for your help!

JohnHorb
17-05-2005, 19:24
I'm not sure how this works, but I would have thought NTL need to switch your connection at their end from the STB to the cable modem. If you are connecting via the STB, maybe they have 'forgotten' to do this. May be worth a quick call to ask that specific question, if no-one from NTL is around here at the moment.

Vonderful
17-05-2005, 19:38
Ok ill give them a ring..wouldnt surprise me if this were the case!

here are the read outs i have from linksys setup pages when connected to stb;

Firmware Version:

v2.02.7, Feb. 27, 2004

Current Time:

Tue, 17 May 200519:35:45

MAC Address:

00:06:25:FF:DD:77

Router Name:

WRT54G

Host Name:

Domain Name:

Internet

Configuration Type

Login Type:

Automatic Configuration - DHCP

IP Address:

81.110.****

Subnet Mask:

Default Gateway:

81.110.****

DNS 1:

DNS 2:

DNS 3:

Here is what i get for the same thimg (router) when connected to modem;

Router

Firmware Version:

v2.02.7, Feb. 27, 2004

Current Time:

Not Available

MAC Address:

00:06:25:FF:DD:77

Router Name:

WRT54G

Host Name:

Domain Name:

Internet

Configuration Type

Login Type:

Automatic Configuration - DHCP

IP Address:

Subnet Mask:

Default Gateway:

DNS 1:

DNS 2:

DNS 3:

BUT when i run ip config connected to modem i get same readings...not sure if this emans anything as i m way out of my depth now!!

JohnHorb
17-05-2005, 19:50
I'd expect the ipconfig output to be the same. This is setup by the router and is independent of what is on the other side of the router. The router details seem to confirm that NTL have not activated the modem at their end.

BTW for security, I'd suggest you don't post the external details of your connection in full (the 81.x.x.x IP address). Not that it matters too much in this case - it will change when NTL switch your connection over. I'd suggest you edit out the last few digits from your post.

Chris W
17-05-2005, 19:51
shove me the mac address via PM with your postcode and housenumber and i'll check this for you.

JohnHorb
17-05-2005, 19:54
Just to confirm - MB works for NTL, so it is OK to PM him the details - I think the modem MAC address (which is the one MB wants) should be on a sticker somewhere (same format as the MAC address in your post, which is the ROUTER MAC address).

Chris W
17-05-2005, 19:58
Just to confirm - MB works for NTL, so it is OK to PM him the details - I think the modem MAC address (which is the one MB wants) should be on a sticker somewhere (same format as the MAC address in your post, which is the ROUTER MAC address).

On the bottom of the cable modem usually :)

if you can't find it, bung me your account number instead and i can find it from here.

Vonderful
17-05-2005, 20:13
i have pmd you

thanks to all...im so glad i discovered this website today...what a wonderful plae of REALLY helpful people!

Vonderful
17-05-2005, 22:02
just tried another method, not too sure if this is valid or not..i connected my xbox to modem, which has been working great connected to router. Still not getting an IP address. I reckon the modem is at fault.