PDA

View Full Version : fireworks :D

Dave Stones
21-09-2003, 19:10
ok after reading another post... i thought id start the fireworks thread nice and early ;)

so who is for and against them? personally i love fireworks. i dont care much for the people who complain about loud bangs scaring their animals and whatnot either. we have 2 cats, and have had several rabbits and other varieties of hay-eating animals that were never affected. one of my cats we cannot catch to keep inside on nov 5th, she sits outside and watches them...:erm:

i dont see what harm fireworks cause apart from the morons who decide to throw them at people etc. and of course that man in the paper a couple of weeks ago who decided to imitate a jackass stunt with a banger...

we get the campaigns every year to ban the things, but what *real* damage do they cause to anyone, apart form 2 or maybe 3 nights with less sleep than usual?

Russ
21-09-2003, 19:12
A trip down memory lane!! We had this very discussion and poll on .com at this time last year!!! :D

kronas
21-09-2003, 19:13
i dont give a damn what anyone else thinks i like fireworks since i was 6 ive let them off on the 5th of november every year using the correct procedures

Dave Stones
21-09-2003, 19:14
Originally posted by kronas
i dont give a damn what anyone else thinks i like fireworks since i was 6 ive let them off on the 5th of november every year using the correct procedures

correct procedures? you mean to say you have a 25m long garden for larger than bottle rockets and airbombs? :p

kronas
21-09-2003, 19:15
Originally posted by Dave Stones
correct procedures? you mean to say you have a 25m long garden for larger than bottle rockets and airbombs? :p

not quite i keep my distance let plenty of batteries off airmbombs are banned arent they ?

Russ
21-09-2003, 19:16

Ahh yes, the good old "I want so I'll have" brigade is still alive and kicking I see.....

Stuart
21-09-2003, 19:17
ok after reading another post... i thought id start the fireworks thread nice and early ;)

so who is for and against them? personally i love fireworks. i dont care much for the people who complain about loud bangs scaring their animals and whatnot either. we have 2 cats, and have had several rabbits and other varieties of hay-eating animals that were never affected. one of my cats we cannot catch to keep inside on nov 5th, she sits outside and watches them...:erm:

I love fireworks too. However, some animals ARE scared by them (I have two dogs and a cat that are terrified by them)

we get the campaigns every year to ban the things, but what *real* damage do they cause to anyone, apart form 2 or maybe 3 nights with less sleep than usual?

Try living round here. Last year, the displays started in about July and carried on every weekened until March this year...

Dave Stones
21-09-2003, 19:18
not quite i keep my distance let plenty of batteries off airmbombs are banned arent they ?

i think they have banned them for this year. just like the banned those cruddy little bangers a few years ago etc etc.

we let off batteries of things (mostly with loud bangs that set off next door's car alarm heheh), but we also let off big display fireworks, eg the rockets with sticks that brain u if you hit them. wh ocares about the 25m limit? ;)

Ahh yes, the good old "I want so I'll have" brigade is still alive and kicking I see.....

:confused:

Try living round here. Last year, the displays started in about July and carried on every weekened until March this year...

unlucky.. we have never really had that problem, except every other saturday night when the local kurds and muslims have a riot with fireworks launched at each other (yes they fire fireworks its crazy sometimes):eek:. and also in case any health and safety police are watching, we also have a big fire in our garden as well where we burn all kinds of crap... (not literally of course :rolleyes:)

kronas
21-09-2003, 19:20
Originally posted by Russ D

what brigade im an individual sensible ive never hurt anyone my next door neighbors dont mind infact they set there own off

i dont join any brigade thank_ you_very_much :D

Stuart
21-09-2003, 19:20
Originally posted by Russ D
A trip down memory lane!! We had this very discussion and poll on .com at this time last year!!! :D

Ahh, Memories...

There seem to be a few topics that seem to come up from time to time :NTL being crap, the cap, religion & fireworks..

Dave Stones
21-09-2003, 19:21
i dont join any brigade thank_ you_very_much :D

not even the fire or boys brigades? ;)

imback
21-09-2003, 19:24
I hate them, think they are pointless, and should be licenced like other products that are desined to burn and explode:)

kronas
21-09-2003, 19:26
not even the fire or boys brigades? ;)

hmmm........boys...........;)

Originally posted by imback
I hate them, think they are pointless, and should be licenced like other products that are desined to burn and explode:)

if used reasonably and correctly i see no problem dont want my fun spoiling just because a few prats think they are funny by abusing them

Dave Stones
21-09-2003, 19:26

i've never known a cigarette lighter to be licenced, or a candle for that matter... /cynical

of course i am a believer in the theory that if fireworks were illegal, dangerous imports would appear and people would make their own...(after all who hasnt dabbled with pencil lead and sulphur in chemistry class? ;)

imback
21-09-2003, 19:30
i've never known a cigarette lighter to be licenced, or a candle for that matter... /cynical

But lighters are not designed to explode:confused:

Atomic22
21-09-2003, 19:53
fireworks are great , i remember running away from maniacal jumping jacks when i was a kid , and putting bangers into bottles to explode them , and opening air bombs with a knife and turning them into mortar bombs using the handlebars of my raleigh chopper as launch tubes , aralditing a nail to the top of a metal german helmet and putting a catherine wheel on it ,lighting it ,then wearing it.......aaaah those where the days , no wonder people want fireworks banned.....ahem
:nono:

Mal
21-09-2003, 20:01
This year has got to be the first year in a very long while, where we're in September and there have been no fireworks yet.

I love fireworks and usually light a load of them up (for my nephew of course) :D though I do think that they should be kept to the bonfire week.

paulyoung666
21-09-2003, 20:21
simple , ban them from public sale , anyone caught selling them or letting them off should be hung , they are a bloody dangerous nuisance , oh , and btw i do like fireworks ;) , nuff said :)

imback
21-09-2003, 20:22
Originally posted by paulyoung666
simple , ban them from public sale , anyone caught selling them or letting them off should be hung , they are a bloody dangerous nuisance , oh , and btw i do like fireworks ;) , nuff said :)

Yeah, it seems like an obvious solution, but it will never happen unfortunatly

paulyoung666
21-09-2003, 20:24
Yeah, it seems like an obvious solution, but it will never happen unfortunatly

shame , probably because the gov't rake in money from the sale of them :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

imback
21-09-2003, 20:32
shame , probably because the gov't rake in money from the sale of them :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Pretty much it I would think, same reason smoking (oneo fthe biggest killers in the world) is advertised, yet soft drugs that have no proven serious threats are clamped down on so hard.

Fireworks are dangerous, even when people take great care, so when some idiots get hold of them and start pointing them at people, attatching them to cats, I think it's time to make a ban perosnally.

Ramrod
21-09-2003, 21:32
Originally posted by Mal
This year has got to be the first year in a very long while, where we're in September and there have been no fireworks yet.

I love fireworks and usually light a load of them up (for my nephew of course) :D though I do think that they should be kept to the bonfire week. Thats right. I have no problem with fireworks on bonfire night. It's just a major pain (we have two babies who get woken up) when they are let off over a two month period.:afire:

Steve H
21-09-2003, 21:36

Yea thats right, lets ban em, the answer to anything. So much for freedom :rolleyes: </sarcasm>

paulyoung666
21-09-2003, 21:46
Originally posted by Steve_NTL
Yea thats right, lets ban em, the answer to anything. So much for freedom :rolleyes: </sarcasm>

ooooooooh er missus , so you reckon it is ok for kids to go lobbin them for a month either side of bonfire night do you :mad:
or do you live in such a posh area that kids dont go lobbin them all over the place ??????????
as far as i am concerned they are an unwanted nuisance
btw did i read your post right in replying like this , :Peace: if i didnt , :upyours: if i did in a nice sort of way , please dont ban me :(

Steve H
21-09-2003, 22:05
Couldnt ban you if I wanted too (Which I dont, Cus I :luv: you :blush: :D)

Point I was making, was banning them isnt a good thing. Restrictions yea, But thats gonna be hard. Its like anything, My comment wasnt really aimed at fireworks, it was just in general.

Dave Stones
21-09-2003, 22:07
some firework facts + statz:

http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/pdf1/firework9702.pdf

now more people get killed by driving recklessly every year and through other dangerous things like smoking dobt they? shall we ban them cos they cause too much death and injusry? :rolleyes:

interesting reading, the number that have died between 97 and 2002 is countable on one hand...

paulyoung666
21-09-2003, 22:14
Originally posted by Steve_NTL
Couldnt ban you if I wanted too (Which I dont, Cus I :luv: you :blush: :D)

Point I was making, was banning them isnt a good thing. Restrictions yea, But thats gonna be hard. Its like anything, My comment wasnt really aimed at fireworks, it was just in general.

awwwwwwwwwww thats nice to know :D
but dont you think they are a bloody nuisance in the coming months ?????????
summat needs sorting methinks :(

Dave Stones
21-09-2003, 22:15
awwwwwwwwwww thats nice to know :D
but dont you think they are a bloody nuisance in the coming months ?????????
summat needs sorting methinks :(

everyone chip in and buy this moaning minnie a pair of ear defenders :D

danielf
21-09-2003, 22:19
interesting reading, the number that have died between 97 and 2002 is countable on one hand...

That's assuming you have hands left after last years fireworks...

They are dangerous. And a nuisance. I understand people want to set them off, but let's limit the period you're allowed to.

paulyoung666
21-09-2003, 22:37
everyone chip in and buy this moaning minnie a pair of ear defenders :D

no need to I'm actually called David

i can get ear plugs from work but my kids and cat dont like them :Peace: :p :p :p :p

Defiant
21-09-2003, 22:59
HAHA this gets done every year. Oops sorry it was .com last year and before people say anything I'm agains't the little prats getting them too but what to do

EDIT: I know stick those bangers right up their _________

paulyoung666
21-09-2003, 23:07
Originally posted by Defiant
HAHA this gets done every year. Oops sorry it was .com last year and before people say anything I'm agains't the little prats getting them too but what to do

EDIT: I know stick those bangers right up their _________

now there is a thought :tu: :tu: :tu:
maybe i should use my webspace that ntl gave me to start a protest site up about it , then direct it towards gov't :p :p :p

kronas
22-09-2003, 00:53
now there is a thought :tu: :tu: :tu:
maybe i should use my webspace that ntl gave me to start a protest site up about it , then direct it towards gov't :p :p :p

you do and ill personally be an assigned hitman stalking you :p :D

i dont think they should be banned but a sales period should be introduced because it is stupid that people are letting them off right now in september i mean whats the point of that :shrug:

imback
22-09-2003, 00:57
you do and ill personally be an assigned hitman stalking you :p :D

i dont think they should be banned but a sales period should be introduced because it is stupid that people are letting them off right now in september i mean whats the point of that :shrug:

Yeah cos setting them off to celebrate a terrorist makes perfect sense don't it:rolleyes: :p ;)

kronas
22-09-2003, 01:05
Yeah cos setting them off to celebrate a terrorist makes perfect sense don't it:rolleyes: :p ;)

:D yes it does :p

i dont really set them off because of that i just do it because its fun although i have toned it down in recent years

*remembers when he used to buy 2-3 boxes with loads of battries then rockets as seperates :p

Bifta
22-09-2003, 02:06
Jesus wept, no wonder the English have a reputation for being a nation of moaners.

Graham
22-09-2003, 02:46
Originally posted by Bifta
Jesus wept, no wonder the English have a reputation for being a nation of moaners.

Let me explain:

Once upon a time there was a tradition known as "Bonfire Night" or "Guy Fawkes Night".

A couple of weeks beforehand, kids would make up effigies or "Guys" and try to raise a bit of cash for fireworks.

On the night people would light bonfires and set off fireworks and everyone with cats and dogs etc would know to keep them inside.

And that would be it for another year.

Now shops start selling fireworks at the end of September and kids start doing the "penny for the guy" business about the end of the first week of October it seems like.

And instead of it being "fireworks night", it's more like "fireworks two months" as people let them off at any time of the day or night all through October, November and even into December.

And please, don't forget that these are *explosive devices* we are talking about and despite campaigns every year, children are burned or mutilated because even though it's illegal they still get their hands on them.

So if you want to see a firework display, go to a *properly* licenced and organised display (which is a lot better than a few poxy rockets and catherine wheels from a "selection box" which probably costs you over thirty quid anyway) and save everyone a lot of grief and hassle!

kronas
22-09-2003, 02:48
Originally posted by Graham

and save everyone a lot of grief and hassle!

im not under any grief or hassle im not going to let a few idiots spoil my fun fireworks are here to stay

Lord Nikon
22-09-2003, 03:06
Originally posted by Graham
[snip]

So if you want to see a firework display, go to a *properly* licenced and organised display (which is a lot better than a few poxy rockets and catherine wheels from a "selection box" which probably costs you over thirty quid anyway) and save everyone a lot of grief and hassle!

and stand in the freezing cold, usually where it's raining rather than watch some fireworks (albeit not as big or fancy as some of the displays) from the warmth of the house..

Xaccers
22-09-2003, 03:51

Interesting as if memory serves this was the line that craigj took in the previous thread about this last year on .com

As I explained to him then, it is not celebrating a terrorist, it is celebrating the thwarting of an act of terrorism.
Surely that is something to celebrate?

Dave Stones
22-09-2003, 10:49
Originally posted by Xaccers
Interesting as if memory serves this was the line that craigj took in the previous thread about this last year on .com

As I explained to him then, it is not celebrating a terrorist, it is celebrating the thwarting of an act of terrorism.

yep. the tradition has moved on a bit in our house from burning things like guy fawkes. last year we brned a osama bin liner "guy", and the year before taht a saddam hussein one. its fun... :p

we get to celebrate thwarting an act of war... though you still cant help but wonder waht would have happened to the country if mr guido had succeeded... :confused:

Lord Nikon
22-09-2003, 10:59
I wonder if this year people will be burning effigies of Tony Blair? :D

timewarrior2001
22-09-2003, 11:03
I love fireworks, I hate the little ****ers that think its funny to throw them at people and would If I thought I could get away with it beat the living crap out of them for it. I actually have had fireworks explode next to my car as I have been driving. Caught the lads they were about 14, they got a good slap for it.

I dont want them banned, that would spoil it for everyone, part of the thrill for me is creating my own little display, pro displays although good just are not the same.
Stocktons annual fireworks display attracts hundreds of thousands of people and it gets very dangerous especially for small children in such large crowds.

As far as I am concerend any kids caught misusing fireworks should be charged with maximum prejudice, misuse of an explosive device, couldnt they be charged with firearms offences?

Used corrctly and buying the correct approved fireworks means most risks are eliminated.

imback
22-09-2003, 11:16
Originally posted by Xaccers

Firstly, that's the 2nd time in a week I have been compared with Craig J for some reaosn?

And my real point being, surely the fireworks are there to signify the gun powder he planned to blow up parliment with, so if this how we celibrate him being caught then it's stupid. Saying that though christians still wear a cross round their neck, like Jesus would want to see that.:shrug:

Bifta
22-09-2003, 11:39
Firstly, that's the 2nd time in a week I have been compared with Craig J for some reaosn?

And my real point being, surely the fireworks are there to signify the gun powder he planned to blow up parliment with, so if this how we celibrate him being caught then it's stupid. Saying that though christians still wear a cross round their neck, like Jesus would want to see that.:shrug:

Yeah cos putting an effigy of Guy Fawkes on a big f*cking bonfire is really a true celebration of his life ....

Chris
22-09-2003, 14:08
(after all who hasnt dabbled with pencil lead and sulphur in chemistry class? ;)

aluminium foil and caustic soda solution is more fun - and you don't have to be in school lab to get hold of the ingredients. Any chemists want to guess what you can do with it? :naughty:

On a more serious note, a private member's bill passed this year giving the Government a lot more power to require licencing of larger fireworks displays, tighter licencing of those selling them and tighter controls over who can buy them outside of a fairly narrow period of time either side of November 5.

As is often the case in life, the vast majority of people are sensible and an outright ban would be a clumsy and unfair way of dealing with a problem caused by a small minority (most of whom are underage and shouldn't have them anyway - go figure!)

Dave Stones
22-09-2003, 15:03
Originally posted by towny
aluminium foil and caustic soda solution is more fun - and you don't have to be in school lab to get hold of the ingredients. Any chemists want to guess what you can do with it? :naughty:

pfft thats boring.. and you need a small quantity of water as well... water doesnt grow on trees you know ;)

rubber cement does wonders for anything involving fire, but that is for another topic..

Chris
22-09-2003, 15:09
pfft thats boring

You wouldn't say that if you'd seen what we used to do with it...

/clue

involved a bin liner and a strip of newspaper soaked in saltpetre solution

Maggy
22-09-2003, 15:11
By all means let everyone celebrate Guy Fawkes night.I've no objection as I would hate to see one of our historic celebrations die.
I do however think that children under the age of 18 should not be able to buy fireworks.That anyone who wants to have fireworks should have to obtain a licence only for the week that Nov 5th falls in and that anyone who lets off fireworks outside this week or without said licence should face prosecution.

Incog.

Dave Stones
22-09-2003, 15:11
You wouldn't say that if you'd seen what we used to do with it...

/clue

involved a bin liner and a strip of newspaper soaked in saltpetre solution

you didnt give me no clues before! all you said was get aluminium and caustic! if you add other ingredients you can do about a zillion things with it...

timewarrior2001
22-09-2003, 15:13
hmmm

Diesel, sugar and fertiliser wrapped up in newspaper.

Wasnt that one of the major ones from years back?

wont go into details, sure its illegal lol

Chris
22-09-2003, 15:15
you didnt give me no clues before! all you said was get aluminium and caustic! if you add other ingredients you can do about a zillion things with it...

Well ok, how about this ... what kind of bang do you think you might get if you ignited a bag containing about a cubic metre of pure hydrogen ... ? :naughty:

EDIT: And how much louder would it be if your cubic metre of gas was 2/3 hydrogen and 1/3 oxygen? :naughty: :naughty:

I'll leave you to work out your own recipe for oxygen, don't want to be encouraging illegal activity....

DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME KIDS!

imback
22-09-2003, 15:27
Yeah cos putting an effigy of Guy Fawkes on a big f*cking bonfire is really a true celebration of his life ....

Sorry, but I don't recall mentioning a guy at any point, nor did I spot this thread being about guys, mabe I got confused somewhere:confused: :p ;)

Dave Stones
22-09-2003, 15:29
Originally posted by timewarrior2001
hmmm

Diesel, sugar and fertiliser wrapped up in newspaper.

Wasnt that one of the major ones from years back?

wont go into details, sure its illegal lol

im sure thats what terrorists use...:erm:

say... you're not a terrorist are you? :p

one thing i would advise people to stay away from if they dont like fireworks is the cherry bomb. ive seen a tennis-ball version of one of them and its bloody insane...

Chris
22-09-2003, 15:41

It isn't a 'celebration of his life' - there is little to celebrate about his life. He was a small-time crook who was stupid enough to get caught in the act. He wasn't even one of the principal conspirators.

What we celebrate on 5 November is the failure of a bunch of terrorists to assassinate our Government in an attempt to install a Catholic dictatorship in England. That is something worth celebrating IMO, although personally I prefer to celebrate the failure of the plot without celebrating the grisly torture and execution of Guido Fawkes - we don't burn a Guy in our back garden.

MovedGoalPosts
22-09-2003, 16:03
Fireworks now seem to be a year round event. Specialist shops exist so you can have fireworks at whatever "celebration" you like, whenever it might be. For those of a nervous disposition, that you dont know when the next local bombardment will start up (it can be a big problem for humans let alone pets), that can be a nightmare. Maybe a decibel limit might be the way forward for those wanting to celibrate outside of bonfire night (and that''s the problem cos it's now effectively become bonfire fortnight around my area).

I'm not a killjoy, and do believe that sensibly done, fireworks can be great fun. My own party last year must have seen over £700 worth go up in smoke. I live 1/4 mile from my local Tescos, and people there tell me they had a good time watching mine (well I did advertise it to my friends as a "there goes the neighbourhood" do! :mad:

On a note of caution, one should take the distance warnings quite seriously. One of the bigger things I had, misfired and literally blew up, covering everybody attending with sand, shaking the fence, and almost blowing the neighbours patio door out (garden was 14m long, not 25m as required!). Not a trace of the thing was found, and my ears rang for days! :devsmoke:

zoombini
22-09-2003, 16:03
but what *real* damage do they cause to anyone, apart form 2 or maybe 3 nights with less sleep than usual?

You obviously do not have them going off all night for several months before & after the occasion thet they were meant for as much as the rest of us.

Either that or you cannot count!

Has someone dragged out last years poll results?

Bifta
22-09-2003, 16:46
im sure thats what terrorists use...:erm:

say... you're not a terrorist are you? :p

one thing i would advise people to stay away from if they dont like fireworks is the cherry bomb. ive seen a tennis-ball version of one of them and its bloody insane...

Not quite, you forgot benzene.

Bifta
22-09-2003, 16:50
It isn't a 'celebration of his life' - there is little to celebrate about his life. He was a small-time crook who was stupid enough to get caught in the act. He wasn't even one of the principal conspirators.

What we celebrate on 5 November is the failure of a bunch of terrorists to assassinate our Government in an attempt to install a Catholic dictatorship in England. That is something worth celebrating IMO, although personally I prefer to celebrate the failure of the plot without celebrating the grisly torture and execution of Guido Fawkes - we don't burn a Guy in our back garden.

I never said it was, you must have missed the obvious sarcasm (which was in response to someone's earlier thread about "celebrating his life")

Chris
22-09-2003, 16:55
I never said it was, you must have missed the obvious sarcasm (which was in response to someone's earlier thread about "celebrating his life")

d'oh! :spin:

paulyoung666
22-09-2003, 18:04
amm dich is what you want for a really good powerful explosion ;)

Mal
22-09-2003, 18:29
Originally posted by MovedGoalPosts
On a note of caution, one should take the distance warnings quite seriously. One of the bigger things I had, misfired and literally blew up, covering everybody attending with sand, shaking the fence, and almost blowing the neighbours patio door out (garden was 14m long, not 25m as required!). Not a trace of the thing was found, and my ears rang for days! :devsmoke:
I'd agree with the distance bit. Also to bury them deep so they don't fall over.

It was a quick way to clear the garden last year. :spin: :eek:

danielf
22-09-2003, 18:33

I'm not a killjoy, and do believe that sensibly done, fireworks can be great fun. My own party last year must have seen over £700 worth go up in smoke. I live 1/4 mile from my local Tescos, and people there tell me they had a good time watching mine (well I did advertise it to my friends as a "there goes the neighbourhood" do! :mad:

It sounds like you had a blast that night:D

Atomic22
22-09-2003, 19:06
fireworks at home are great , we have them at bonfire night , birthdays , new year etc etc.......but its the shopkeepers selling the stuff to kids that need putting away not the kids for using them , same as the ones that sell kids beer and fags all geedy and thinking of profit before law.

Mr_Burns
22-09-2003, 19:36
I want to vote yes and no.

Yes because I'm sick of the local kids where I live who've been setting them off constantly since last November:mad:

No because I think that they're great.

It's just as well my Mum lives out in the country. Her dog (a Labrador - a gun dog) is afraid of loud bangs:confused: Mind you she's afraid of her own shadow, doors slamming in the wind, and being stroked if she doesn't see you.:spin:

Atomic22
22-09-2003, 19:42
Originally posted by Mr_Burns

It's just as well my Mum lives out in the country. Her dog (a Labrador - a gun dog) is afraid of loud bangs:confused: Mind you she's afraid of her own shadow, doors slamming in the wind, and being stroked if she doesn't see you.:spin: [/B]

surely a gun dog wouldnt be scared of bangs or it would be called a water pistol dog or sommat

Mr_Burns
22-09-2003, 19:51
surely a gun dog wouldnt be scared of bangs or it would be called a water pistol dog or sommat

LOL. Fortunately she's not a working dog.

Atomic22
22-09-2003, 20:03
Originally posted by Mr_Burns
LOL. Fortunately she's not a working dog.
hehehe the mind boggles as i picture a labrador in overalls and hard hat

paulyoung666
22-09-2003, 20:29
ok then , i was at york yesterday at the caravan show on the racecourse , i got talking to a couple of firemen who were doing a chip pan demo ( how to put it out ) , and we got talking about fireworks , they reckon they are the most evil annoying things going at this time of year , they told me about one that went off at 3-00 am a couple of days ago that had appliances out running around in circles looking for the EXPLOSION that caused it , so fireworks are still harmless are they , sorry but i dont think so , how about your loved one burning to death in a house fire because some idiot let one off and the fire brigade couldnt reach there house in time , and please dont start on about the what if argument ;)

Atomic22
22-09-2003, 20:34
its all down to stopping shopkeepers selling to kids

paulyoung666
22-09-2003, 20:45
Originally posted by Atomic22
its all down to stopping shopkeepers selling to kids

fair point , but how about kids hanging around shops getting adults to buy them for them ??????????????
back to selling to adults again , which equals not selling them to the public full stop ;)

Bifta
22-09-2003, 22:29
fair point , but how about kids hanging around shops getting adults to buy them for them ??????????????
back to selling to adults again , which equals not selling them to the public full stop ;)

And so speak's Victor Meldrew

imback
22-09-2003, 22:39

Or just soemone that has a different opinion to you, a discussion is pointless if everyone agrees with each other, so be big and provide a decent argument for you view and don't resort to name calling:)

paulyoung666
22-09-2003, 22:42

ok , so you reckon it is ok then , i have listened to your jibes , maybe in ireland it is ok , now i reckon you are showing your true roots , idiocy springs to mind , if you have nothing sensible to say then do me a favour and f**k off somewhere else , to the mods of this thread sorry i had to rise to this but this idiot is really pi**ing me off , i should have done this a while ago , post reported :upyours: bifta

Bifta
23-09-2003, 00:52
ok , so you reckon it is ok then , i have listened to your jibes , maybe in ireland it is ok , now i reckon you are showing your true roots , idiocy springs to mind , if you have nothing sensible to say then do me a favour and f**k off somewhere else , to the mods of this thread sorry i had to rise to this but this idiot is really pi**ing me off , i should have done this a while ago , post reported :upyours: bifta

I DON'T BLOODY BELIEVE IT!!!!! ;)

Bifta
23-09-2003, 00:54
Or just soemone that has a different opinion to you, a discussion is pointless if everyone agrees with each other, so be big and provide a decent argument for you view and don't resort to name calling:)

I agree, but I've read a few of his post's where he likes to rant and rave like no-one else I can think of .. well, apart from Victor Meldrew that is, and it's hardly a wounding remark ...

Maggy
23-09-2003, 09:06
Incog here!

Now unsubscribing from another ranting discu....errr argument.

No civility anywhere.

Incog :td:

MovedGoalPosts
23-09-2003, 11:35
Originally posted by Atomic22
fireworks at home are great , we have them at bonfire night , birthdays , new year etc etc.......but its the shopkeepers selling the stuff to kids that need putting away not the kids for using them , same as the ones that sell kids beer and fags all geedy and thinking of profit before law.

May be the answer here is to restrict sales of fireworks to specialist licenced retailers, who can be vetted and approved for suitability of premises, knowledge of what the firework will actually do when it goes off (so you can get an idea of how your display might work), and of course have their licence withdrawn if they sell fireworks to the under age.

Get rid of the corner shop - they can't carry a decent range anyway. If you ever go to buy from a specialist retailer, you'll see what I mean by the choice of more bangs for your buck that they can offer!

Chris
23-09-2003, 12:13
May be the answer here is to restrict sales of fireworks to specialist licenced retailers, who can be vetted and approved for suitability of premises, knowledge of what the firework will actually do when it goes off (so you can get an idea of how your display might work), and of course have their licence withdrawn if they sell fireworks to the under age.

Get rid of the corner shop - they can't carry a decent range anyway. If you ever go to buy from a specialist retailer, you'll see what I mean by the choice of more bangs for your buck that they can offer!

I think I agree with this. Making it harder for anyone to get hold of fireworks will allow families to get them if they want - presumably by driving to the kinds of places where these things would go on sale - while making it harder for little scumbags to acquire them from their local unscrupulous newsagent. I'm sure there would still be cases of abuse but surely far less.

Currently newsagents and the like can sell fireworks for only a set period. If sale was restricted to specialists, then a different restriction would be required - perhaps a minimum purchase value. We used to get fireworks from a specialist who set up stall at a local garden centre ready for Nov 5, and he used to say he could supply for any time of year but wouldn't contemplate any sale worth less than £30 (this was 10-15 years ago).

paulyoung666
23-09-2003, 18:13
I agree, but I've read a few of his post's where he likes to rant and rave like no-one else I can think of .. well, apart from Victor Meldrew that is, and it's hardly a wounding remark ...

no need my mate , no need at all , i am entitled to my opinion same as you , nothing gives you the right to have a go because it doesnt suit you ----------- the end ;)

i think one of the problems is that there is no law regarding use of fireworks , you can set them off anytime you want to apparently :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Atomic22
23-09-2003, 18:32
the idea of only being able to sell fireworks in boxes is very good and would work i think....maybe minimum box price 20 quid and only on sale to adults would be good.....what about bar coding the fireworks so if any yobkids do get caught with them they can be traced back to the shop that sold them?

Bifta
23-09-2003, 19:27
no need my mate , no need at all , i am entitled to my opinion same as you , nothing gives you the right to have a go because it doesnt suit you ----------- the end ;)

Exactly, I voiced my opinion about you .. or .. is it only you that's allowed an opinion? And btw, before you start ranting and raving like a loony again and blowing thing out of all proportion maybe you'd consider that the original remark was meant in jest, if I'd have been serious I'd have said that you're a moaning cu*t .. but I didn't.

paulyoung666
23-09-2003, 20:18

@ bifta , sorry but this should have made your ears ***** up and make you realise what was going on , i can have a laugh and if i had made a comment i would have put a little ;) or :p or :) at the end of it to signify it was tongue in cheek , you didnt so it seemed like an insult , now provide a decent argument towards the thread to keep it moving forward , if you cant then please unsub from it , nuff said i think

@ atomic22 the problem with barcodes is they are generic if i remember correctly , i.e. a loaf of bread bought in safeway will have the same barcode if bought in sainsburys , nice idea but i dont think it would work , only my opinion of course

Russ
23-09-2003, 20:21
OK Bifta, paulyoung666, just leave it please. If you want to carry on your bickering please do it in PM or better still, MSN.

Richard M
02-11-2003, 20:23
Welcome to Iraq circa 2002.

It's like a warzone outside with all the kids and their fireworks... :mad:
My dog is scared as hell too. :(

Strict firework regulations this year? Yeah right!

Bex
02-11-2003, 20:25

same here.....our dog is cowering in my room with me.......i hate fireworks to :bigcry:

why oh why can't people keep fireworks for fireworks night?!

Paul
02-11-2003, 20:41
I'm sure I have already said this elsewhere but if Firework sales were restricted to MailOrder with Credit Cards only then 99% of the idiots would not be able to get hold of them, but the more genuine users (such as me) would still be able to obtain them for bonfire night parties and New year. All sales would also be much more tracable.

paulyoung666
02-11-2003, 21:06

funny that it is the same around here , maybe they have confused today for the 5th , god only knows what it will be like on the 5th :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

CaKe
02-11-2003, 21:36
Same here, I have a cat that's cowering upstairs and has been each night (well, from 4pm) each day since Monday, and a 18 week old puppy that got hit by the remains of someone's bloody firework in our back garden earlier tonight :grind:

Fireworks? I'm with pem - restrict the sales of them. I'm with Roger K - we need stricter firework regulations - like better enforced times & dates they can be set off (and no, I don't know how we're meant to do this, but I'm not paid to think :P)

and bexy, I sympathise with you - I hate fireworks too :(

and if any of the gits that are setting off fireworks in my area of Gosport are reading this, given that my puppy isn't house trained & is now petrified of the back garden :rolleyes:, I suggest you give me your address so I can dispose of her waste :)

Richard M
02-11-2003, 21:39
and if any of the gits that are setting off fireworks in my area of Gosport are reading this...

:rofl:

Rubber Duck
02-11-2003, 22:56
If fireworks were let off for just ONE NIGHT I wouldnââ‚Ã⠀šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t have a problem with them. It the EVERY NIGHT for the last 3 bloody weeks I object to. With the constant bang, bang, bang every single night they frighten a lot of old folk & animals

So yes I think for those reasons alone they either should be banned or only sold a few (3-4) days before 5th Nov

Stuart W
02-11-2003, 23:21
This all got quite heated and out of hand on .com when I posted there, but here's my 2p's worth for y'all to ponder....

I love fireworks. I think they are great and firework party's, where people get together with their familys and meet up with other familys for a bondfire and fireworks, are great too.

However, I don't like the people with limited mentality who get kicks from setting the damn things off in the street!

How about only selling fireworks in "cakes" or "batteries"? The ones I buy start at around £40 which takes them out of the pocket money bracket. They are also hard to dismantle as they are packed in a resinus substance and only have 1 fuse.

I think it's fair to say we all know the 'box sets' of fireworks priced £5.00 - £25.00 are crap. Lots of individual crappy fireworks. Air bombs are great, but have been far too abused by the thoughtless, so I'd have to conceed to let them go too..... so, no box sets, no individual fireworks, just display cakes.

Thoughts?

[Edit] BTW, I couldn't vote because I don't want them banned and I'm not "one of the little hoodlums" either.

Xaccers
03-11-2003, 00:00
I'm sure I have already said this elsewhere but if Firework sales were restricted to MailOrder with Credit Cards only then 99% of the idiots would not be able to get hold of them, but the more genuine users (such as me) would still be able to obtain them for bonfire night parties and New year. All sales would also be much more tracable.

Now that sounds like a good idea!
They've been quite sensible here in Funtley, most people set them off yesterday evening, and not too late.
(had some lovely young ladies come round trick or treating too) :naughty:

I think sparklers should be banned, they are far too dangerous.

Paul
03-11-2003, 00:28
I think sparklers should be banned, they are far too dangerous.Sparklers are no more dangerous than many household items, why should they be singled out ?

Xaccers
03-11-2003, 00:49
Sparklers are no more dangerous than many household items, why should they be singled out ?

Most children are taken to hospital with burns from sparklers.
It's a red hot bit of metal that kids hold and wave about, can't think of many household items like that which people willingly give to kids.

Paul
03-11-2003, 01:09
Most children are taken to hospital with burns from sparklers.
It's a red hot bit of metal that kids hold and wave about, can't think of many household items like that which people willingly give to kids.My family have been using sparklers for at least 35 years (i.e since I was a small kid) and we have never been burned. But then my kids know to wear gloves, not to mess about with them, and put them in the bucket of water when they have finished.

If people get burned then I would put money on them not following safe practices in handelling them, which is hardly the fault of the sparklers. They are perfectly safe if used properly.

Xaccers
03-11-2003, 01:45
I've seen many that curl up due to the heat
I've also seen the damage that some sparklers have caused gloves (man made) from hot sparks (a lot of sparklers have less than 10cm of bare metal to hold).

I know unlike most fireworks (which can explode instantly) the chance of an accident occuring is low, but all it takes is for one kid to quickly do something stupid (and we know how stupid teenagers can be with more dangerous fireworks) and then it's a night down A&E

I'd rather give my kids those glow sticks and bands.

paulyoung666
03-11-2003, 09:20
Sparklers are no more dangerous than many household items, why should they be singled out ?

oh yeah , red hot metal stick , man made glove , melt and stick to skin , not nice at all :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

Paul
03-11-2003, 09:34
I'd rather give my kids those glow sticks and bands.Each to there own :D
You are free to do that so why should they be banned and spoil my Kids fun, no one forces you to use them.

altis
03-11-2003, 09:43
Just got back from three days working in Belfast. Over there they seem to use fireworks celebrate Haloween. I'm not sure if they come out again for Guy Fawkes or not - Bifta?

In order to obtain fireworks in Northern Ireland, one is first supposed to get a licence from the police and then show it at the time of purchase. Anyway, while I was there, fireworks were going off almost continually at all times of the day and night. This evidence would suggest that licensing is not the answer.

ntluser
03-11-2003, 09:45
But lighters are not designed to explode:confused:

And it is possible to use lighters without disturbing the sleep, lifestyle etc of others!! :)

ntluser
03-11-2003, 09:51
If fireworks were let off for just ONE NIGHT I wouldnââ‚Ã⠀šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t have a problem with them. It the EVERY NIGHT for the last 3 bloody weeks I object to. With the constant bang, bang, bang every single night they frighten a lot of old folk & animals

So yes I think for those reasons alone they either should be banned or only sold a few (3-4) days before 5th Nov

I fully agree. I don't mind people enjoying Bonfire Night and setting off fireworks but when they go off at all hours of the day and night at various times of the year, it's not on.

The simple answer would be for manufacturers to stop producing 'bangers' and concentrate on the more decorative of fireworks, which light up the sky in a beautiful way, while pets and others slumber peacefully undisturbed.

paulyoung666
03-11-2003, 10:03
im not sure what sort of fireworks were being let off around here last night , but , bloody hell they did narf make me jump , no wonder animals get scared of them , the odd thing was i never saw one nice display of sparkly things in the sky , so i ask what is the point as i cant see it :banghead:

timewarrior2001
03-11-2003, 10:08
All this moaning and bitching is quite amusing.

Fireworks are allegedly a massive menace, what about the local ****heads coming in at 2am shouting and screaming in the streets. Lets ban them.

What about the 17 year old with minimal training let loose with a ton of steel that can do over 100Mph. Lets ban cars.

What about gas stoves, they are explosive devices if abused or not cared for. Lets ban gas stoves and gas central heating in case someone abuses it.

Hey that pesky milkfloat chinks its way down out street at 5:30am them damned milk bottles are so noisy, lets ban milk bottles and milk floats.

oh hell I nearly forgot about this serious issue, Eggs, the littl e*******s that throw eggs at peoples windows, lets ban eggs, you could have someones eye out with one.

Come on people, the little ****s that abuse fireworks and end up not being able to count to ten because of it deserve all they get.
Shopkeepers need to be fined for early sale fo fireworks, and specialist shops should only be allowed to sell them.

Chris
03-11-2003, 10:15
All this moaning and bitching is quite amusing.

Fireworks are allegedly a massive menace, what about the local ****heads coming in at 2am shouting and screaming in the streets. Lets ban them.

What about the 17 year old with minimal training let loose with a ton of steel that can do over 100Mph. Lets ban cars.

What about gas stoves, they are explosive devices if abused or not cared for. Lets ban gas stoves and gas central heating in case someone abuses it.

Hey that pesky milkfloat chinks its way down out street at 5:30am them damned milk bottles are so noisy, lets ban milk bottles and milk floats.

oh hell I nearly forgot about this serious issue, Eggs, the littl e*******s that throw eggs at peoples windows, lets ban eggs, you could have someones eye out with one.

Come on people, the little ****s that abuse fireworks and end up not being able to count to ten because of it deserve all they get.
Shopkeepers need to be fined for early sale fo fireworks, and specialist shops should only be allowed to sell them.
:rofl: straight to the point as always ... and I completely agree, let's strike a blow for personal responsibility here. Let those who manage to reach the age of 18 witout burning their hands off with a sparkler take their rightful places at the head of our society.

The rest can get entered for the Darwin Awards (not that I believe in Evolution, but hey ... ;) )

Stuart W
03-11-2003, 10:15
The whole "ban it because people have been hurt by it" is quite pathetic realy.

Follow it through for a bit... we would be banning LOADS of stuff! I won't use stuff like cars kill, for someone to tell me that cars are needed etc. (tempted to argue how we survived before cars, but I'll leave it) I'll go with like for like.

We have no real need for fireworks besides entertainment.
Going by this rationale....

Music should be banned. It's loud and for the enjoyment of others.
Night clubs should definatley be banned. Too loud and can damage hearing.
Alcohol - Makes you happy, but is deadly poison and kills thousands.
Swings - VERY dangerous. Anyone not know someone who has fallen from a swing?
Skipping rope - You could trip whilst skipping and cause an injury.
Slide - kids can't help but to try to run up the slide, inevitably slipping and falling.
Roudabouts - Children cannot control the forces of a fast spinning roundabout and can be thrown from it.
Any glass container - can be carried, one trip and it's a potential A&E nightmare.
Sharp objects - If you turn quickly whilst holding a knife, you could stab someone.

Now, I could sit here for half hour or so and ome up with THOUSANDS of items for us to ban. Some more dangerous than fireworks, others less so.

What would be more usefull however, would be to point out that it is not the items themselves which are a danger, it is the way they are used. So, don't try and change the item, try and change the way people use it.

ntluser
03-11-2003, 13:04
The whole "ban it because people have been hurt by it" is quite pathetic realy.

Follow it through for a bit... we would be banning LOADS of stuff! I won't use stuff like cars kill, for someone to tell me that cars are needed etc. (tempted to argue how we survived before cars, but I'll leave it) I'll go with like for like.

We have no real need for fireworks besides entertainment.
Going by this rationale....

Music should be banned. It's loud and for the enjoyment of others.
Night clubs should definatley be banned. Too loud and can damage hearing.
Alcohol - Makes you happy, but is deadly poison and kills thousands.
Swings - VERY dangerous. Anyone not know someone who has fallen from a swing?
Skipping rope - You could trip whilst skipping and cause an injury.
Slide - kids can't help but to try to run up the slide, inevitably slipping and falling.
Roudabouts - Children cannot control the forces of a fast spinning roundabout and can be thrown from it.
Any glass container - can be carried, one trip and it's a potential A&E nightmare.
Sharp objects - If you turn quickly whilst holding a knife, you could stab someone.

Now, I could sit here for half hour or so and ome up with THOUSANDS of items for us to ban. Some more dangerous than fireworks, others less so.

What would be more usefull however, would be to point out that it is not the items themselves which are a danger, it is the way they are used. So, don't try and change the item, try and change the way people use it.

That's the problem. Changing the way people use fireworks depends on their willingness to see the other person's point of view and actually caring about what they think. Many of the offenders know the discomfort and inconvenience they are causing, they just don't care. Selfishly, they are only out to enjoy themselves at the expense of others.

The most offensive of fireworks are the 'bangers'. Given that you will never get everybody to act responsibly, the simple answer is to eliminate them, the bangers that is. Nobody complains about Catherine Wheels, Roman candles, fountains etc because they do not disturb anybody. Indeed they are something that everybody can appreciate.

Life is full of risks and each one of us can make the choice as to which risks we take or not. The problems arise when one person takes a risk that affects other people who chose not to take it.

Maggy
23-04-2004, 17:14
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3651907.stm

At least it's a start!!

TheBlueRaja
23-04-2004, 17:19
Whoohoo - Hoodlums rule - in your FACE whingers...

;)

Chris W
23-04-2004, 17:20
(from bbc article) People who sell fireworks all year round could be subject to a new licensing process.

i don't really see how this is going to help the situation, there are not many people who sell fireworks all year round anyway.

Because i have a thai girlfriend, we celebrate the Thai new year in april, and it is hard enough to get hold of fireworks then. If they introduce new licensing laws this will make it even harder to get hold of fireworks for this :(

MovedGoalPosts
23-04-2004, 17:21
Excellent, get rid of the late night stuff - there's no need for 24 hour fireworks that we get during the main season. On the other hand in our multicultural society what is a special occasion warranting a relaxation of the 11:00pm limit?

But "capping" the size of the bang - that's downright boring!

Ramrod
23-04-2004, 17:27
Apparently, in Australia, fireworks sales are banned to the general public.

paulyoung666
23-04-2004, 17:44

and they should be over here as well ;)

Paul
23-04-2004, 19:37
and they should be over here as well ;)

I disagree. :D

I have no problem with the restrictions mentioned in that article. There is no need to have them after 11pm except for the exception dates mentioned (actually, I wouldn't include Nov 5th in that list of exceptions).

I have a fireworks party every year in Nov for all my family and we also have a few to bring in the new year (allthough we missed out this year as it was raining rather hard here :().

paulyoung666
23-04-2004, 20:18

I have no problem with the restrictions mentioned in that article. There is no need to have them after 11pm except for the exception dates mentioned (actually, I wouldn't include Nov 5th in that list of exceptions).

I have a fireworks party every year in Nov for all my family and we also have a few to bring in the new year (allthough we missed out this year as it was raining rather hard here :().

now you are obviously a sensible person , it is just a shame that the irresponsible brain dead f!cking halfwit idiots have to spoil it for decent ppl like you , if a ban would stop just one more innocent person being hurt then i am afraid it should happen :(

MovedGoalPosts
23-04-2004, 20:51
now you are obviously a sensible person , it is just a shame that the irresponsible brain dead f!cking halfwit idiots have to spoil it for decent ppl like you , if a ban would stop just one more innocent person being hurt then i am afraid it should happen :(
I can't subscribe to the concept of penalise the majority so as to minimise the risk to the few. Taken to extremes in so many walks of life, we'd all have to walk around in bubble wrap!

I suspect the biggest problem with "abuse" of fireworks is the inappropriate times and freuency that they are used, and that is a result of lack of clear guidance. The legislation would address that, although as no doubt it wold be a nuisance and noise type restriction it would be enforced by environmental health who tend not to work late at night, not police, it could be toothless legislation.

Steve H
23-04-2004, 21:04
Gawd, I cant believe many of you advocating all these bans.

Without going on about them anyway, I love listening to fireworks going off when im getting off to bed... We usually stay up til >1am on fireworks night with the family.. few drinks, food etc, make a party of it. Pathetic imo

timewarrior2001
23-04-2004, 21:26

*Tips hat to I dont like so I want banned Brigade* as they pass :)

I love fireworks, I set them off every year too. I think organised displays are ****e, too many people around. I could watch the stockton display from my back garden, but I buy my own, its better and more fun.

timewarrior2001
23-04-2004, 21:28

Yeah but then Australians arent known to be the brainiest lol

Ok poor old Aussies I know.

I just think thats odd when there are so many other things a lot more dangerous that they havent banned, like all their fecking wildlife.
Protect the morons form holding a tube of gunpowder but its ok to let them go play with deadly outback critters.

paulyoung666
23-04-2004, 21:53
I can't subscribe to the concept of penalise the majority so as to minimise the risk to the few. Taken to extremes in so many walks of life, we'd all have to walk around in bubble wrap!

I suspect the biggest problem with "abuse" of fireworks is the inappropriate times and freuency that they are used, and that is a result of lack of clear guidance. The legislation would address that, although as no doubt it wold be a nuisance and noise type restriction it would be enforced by environmental health who tend not to work late at night, not police, it could be toothless legislation.

but it is not the risk to the few is it , i aint got the figures to back me up , but if it saves one more person getting scarred for life then surely it must be worth it :)

James Vertigan
23-04-2004, 22:06
We usually have fireworks on 3rd November and NYE... Now, it's a good thing that they would relax the ban on NYE, but the last time we had fireworks here, they were so loud we set someone's car/burglar alarm off about 20 times - this was at nearly midnight as we'd been out at a restauraunt most of the evening! Apparantley they could be heard for a few miles too! Interestingly our cat and dog don't seem to mind fireworks!

I suppose that if you are in a desserted rural area that it doesn't really matter as there aren't that many people around (just as long as all the local farm animals don't mind!)

Maggy
23-04-2004, 23:06
OH Jumping Jehosephat!!

Look here! NO ONE is advocating banning fireworks all together.It's just that in the last two years the size,duration of firework season and the ability of the underage to purchase/steal these large fireworks have increased tremendously.Things have got a little out of control in some areas(if you do a search for fireworks on the BBC news you will find many such reports)and if something is not done to curb those who are behaving in an anti-social manner with fireworks someone,maybe someone you love dearly is going to die.Some of the fireworks we are talking about are enormous and have been set off on the streets of this country causing some thousands of pounds worth of damage,how no one has been killed so far I'm amazed.

Incog.

paulyoung666
23-04-2004, 23:11
OH Jumping Jehosephat!!

Look here! NO ONE is advocating banning fireworks all together.It's just that in the last two years the size,duration of firework season and the ability of the underage to purchase/steal these large fireworks have increased tremendously.Things have got a little out of control in some areas(if you do a search for fireworks on the BBC news you will find many such reports)and if something is not done to curb those who are behaving in an anti-social manner with fireworks someone,maybe someone you love dearly is going to die.Some of the fireworks we are talking about are enormous and have been set off on the streets of this country causing some thousands of pounds worth of damage,how no one has been killed so far I'm amazed.

Incog.

and that backs me up very nicely , thanks coggy ;)

Maggy
23-04-2004, 23:21
Yeah but then Australians arent known to be the brainiest lol

Ok poor old Aussies I know.

I just think thats odd when there are so many other things a lot more dangerous that they havent banned, like all their fecking wildlife.
Protect the morons form holding a tube of gunpowder but its ok to let them go play with deadly outback critters.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/south_yorkshire/3626753.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/3203534.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/3183250.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/3160032.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/3147914.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/south_yorkshire/3308691.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/3242847.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/3254154.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/3258123.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_west/3206629.stm

Now I could have posted many more of these links but I think I may have made the point that most of those protesting about the recent two years of misery at bonfire night are not out to spoil any one having a bonfire party or celebrating New Year.

We just want to stop those who use the occasion to intimidate and frighten others and to make sure that the big powerful fireworks are not in the hands of thugs and vandals.

Surely there is some middle ground in which we can agree that some controls are needed to make sure that everyone enjoys fireworks without any one getting hurt or even dying.

Halcyon
24-04-2004, 00:36
I heard one tonight.
I wonder if Tech support can trace it for me.

Graham
24-04-2004, 00:46

That's great, but is everyone as sensible as you?

We've had idiots chucking fireworks around here in the past, people letting rockets off down the street *horizontally*, setting off "air burst" fireworks at ground level (and at three in the morning!) and doing all the other stupid things that nobody in their right minds would do with an *explosive device* :(

Graham
24-04-2004, 00:48
Gawd, I cant believe many of you advocating all these bans.

Without going on about them anyway, I love listening to fireworks going off when im getting off to bed... We usually stay up til >1am on fireworks night with the family.. few drinks, food etc, make a party of it. Pathetic imo

Great, but it's no longer fireworks *NIGHT*, it's fireworks *two months*.

Any time between mid-October and mid-December there are fireworks going off at all sorts of hours of the day and night.

If you have to get up early for work, do you *really* want to have your sleep continually disturbed by inconsiderate sods?

Graham
24-04-2004, 00:50
and that backs me up very nicely , thanks coggy ;)

Seconded! If I could rep you at the moment, coggy, I would! :)

Steve H
24-04-2004, 11:33
Great, but it's no longer fireworks *NIGHT*, it's fireworks *two months*.

Any time between mid-October and mid-December there are fireworks going off at all sorts of hours of the day and night.

If you have to get up early for work, do you *really* want to have your sleep continually disturbed by inconsiderate sods?

Dont suspose I can really answer that question, since my area doesn't seem to suffer as much as you say your's does... It's usually a week, give or take that they start going off all sorts of hours here.. Which doesn't bother me in the slightest... And I get up at 5am weekdays for work/college.

leeswin
27-04-2004, 13:29
i dont minde them on firework night however when there going off on march 9th for no reason at 1am - is very anoying.

paulyoung666
27-04-2004, 16:36
i dont minde them on firework night however when there going off on march 9th for no reason at 1am - is very anoying.

very very true :tu:

Paul
27-04-2004, 17:24

Yes, and us "sensible" users would not defend this - there is no reason for it - which is why I will support the 11pm curfew, but not the banning of sales.

paulyoung666
27-04-2004, 17:28
Yes, and us "sensible" users would not defend this - there is no reason for it - which is why I will support the 11pm curfew, but not the banning of sales.

i see your point but , if they are on sale then they will be abused by the mindless minority , the police cannot be everywhere all the time and no doubt late at night they wil have more important things to do , like catching speeding motorists :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: