PDA

View Full Version : Problem playing online games

saint
16-05-2005, 18:28
Hi all,

I play games online quite a bit, and over the last couple of days I have been experiencing some lag issues. When I am playing the game around every two seconds the screen freezes for a split second and then jumps forward. During the freeze, I can see my fps drop considerably and then jump back up at the saem time the screen does. I tried playing another game to see if it was the 1st game causing the problem not my internet, but the same thing happened again.

I did a virus scan and found a Trojan, played the game again and everything was fine. Next day I tried to play the game and the same thing happened, I did another virus scan but it found nothing, I also scanned for spyware and removed some stuff.

Today I am having the same lag issues, if its not the game/virus/trojan/spyware then I am at a loss as to what it could be? Any ideas ?

edit: btw I get this problem whether I am on an empty server or a full one, and the problem occurs on any server I enter.

I am on 3MB NTL and have the follwing system specs:

AMD 64 3500
Asus A8V
1gb ocz dc ram
sapphire x800 pro

SnoopZ
16-05-2005, 21:39
Hi,

This sounds like a very similar problem I just started to have on my 2MB NTL.

It turned out to be my firewall causing it when all the ports were stealthed. I was using Zonealarm pro 5.5 which had just been updated a few days before.

Unstealthing the ports stopped the problem but obviously being unstealthed isn't the best option.

I'm now using Sygate pro and stealthed with no lag issues what so ever, Halflife 2 seems to run so much faster and smoother too!

SnoopZââ€Ã⠀¦Ã‚¾Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¢

saint
16-05-2005, 21:42
Hi, im using Mcafee and I disabled my firewall and got the same problem? Anything else I can do with firewall settings ?

SnoopZ
16-05-2005, 22:00
Hi,

All i can say is either turning off my firewall or unstealthing the ports of ZA5.5 cured the exact same problem for me that you mention.

So if your firewall is disabled and you still have the lag then maybe the problem lies with NTL.

Sorry I cant be anymore help on the matter.

Ramrod
16-05-2005, 23:08
If you play MOHAA:SH or CoD:UO then try playing on our (low ping) NTHW server (pm me for details) with your firewall turned off and see if it still occurs.........

saint
17-05-2005, 00:03
The only game I really play is mohaa. I've tried it with firewall on/off and same problem occurs.

saint
17-05-2005, 11:59
Phoned up NTL today he got me to download an .exe for realplayer, it went at around 370kb/sec so he said my internet is fine and that was it. So if its not the game/virus/trojan/spyware/internet then wtf is it.