PDA

View Full Version : See ya!

Theodoric
16-05-2005, 12:45
I have noticed recently that younger shop assistants, market traders, meter readers, service engineers etc all seem to say something along the lines of, "See ya!" when they have finished. No they won't! Most of them I will never see again. What has happened to goodbye, cheerio or even (heaven forfend!), "Have a nice day!"?

gary_580
16-05-2005, 12:53
shop assistants and market traders knowingly selling you goods that you will have to return?

Service engineer who as botched the job?

Meter reader, well they come around every 6 months.

Or maybe its the fact that they can See you! ;)

bmxbandit
16-05-2005, 12:57
well, goodbye ('god be with you' isn't it?) would be pretty inappropriate to me, as a devout athiest/antitheist ;)

Mal
16-05-2005, 12:57
I thought you were leaving the site then, when I saw the title ;)

With local shops, you probably will see them again, but I don't see anything wrong with saying it :shrug:

To me it's slightly more sincere than a repetative goodbye :)

Gareth
16-05-2005, 13:08
<AmericanAccent>Missing you already</AmericanAccent>

ian@huth
16-05-2005, 13:11
In the States you often get them just saying "later".

Millay
16-05-2005, 13:26
and have a nice day is american.. im just happy not to be grnted at myself

Bex
16-05-2005, 14:13
I have noticed recently that younger shop assistants, market traders, meter readers, service engineers etc all seem to say something along the lines of, "See ya!" when they have finished. No they won't! Most of them I will never see again. What has happened to goodbye, cheerio or even (heaven forfend!), "Have a nice day!"?

isn't "see ya" just the yongster version of "goodbye" anyway?

i must say sometimes i cringe when one of our younger members of staff say "hiya" to the 60+ members of staff. i remember once, when i was working for the abbey a customer had a major go at someone for saying "hiya" according to this particular lady, she felt that since she had status and age on her side she shouldn't be spoken to in that manner. made me chuckle really.

Graham
16-05-2005, 14:16

Well frankly I would prefer almost anything to "Have a nice day" (I have the habit of replying "Share and Enjoy" occasionally to that one...!! :D ) but I don't have a problem with "See you" (or "ya")

Theodoric
16-05-2005, 18:33
isn't "see ya" just the yongster version of "goodbye" anyway?

i must say sometimes i cringe when one of our younger members of staff say "hiya" to the 60+ members of staff. i remember once, when i was working for the abbey a customer had a major go at someone for saying "hiya" according to this particular lady, she felt that since she had status and age on her side she shouldn't be spoken to in that manner. made me chuckle really.
Yes, I believe it is. It's just that when someone says, "See you" to me, I tend to take it literally and think, "But no I won't".

I was in Tescos this afternoon and the middle-aged assistant said, "Bye", which I found much more acceptable.

As you say, we oldies tend to be a bit conservative about these things. :)

PS Does anyone say, "Bye, dearie" in shops nowadays, or is that totally and utterly dead?

Bex
16-05-2005, 18:36
Yes, I believe it is. It's just that when someone says, "See you" to me, I tend to take it literally and think, "But no I won't".

I was in Tescos this afternoon and the middle-aged assistant said, "Bye", which I found much more acceptable.

As you say, we oldies tend to be a bit conservative about these things. :)

PS Does anyone say, "Bye, dearie" in shops nowadays, or is that totally and utterly dead?

:LOL: you oldies... i wasn't including you necessarily... i guess i find it cringeworthy because i was bought up to have respect for my elders, and that means not talking down to them or using a lot of colloquilisims (sp?)

i once said "see you" to a customer, and he was a bit of a creep to be honest, and started trying to chat me up and getting me to go out with him. never said it again to any customer. too dangerous ;)

Orior
16-05-2005, 22:57
I like to say Cheerio, so I do.

Matthew
16-05-2005, 23:21
My phrase when customers leave is "Thanks". Some of the older ones its "Cheers" or "Thank you".

Halcyon
16-05-2005, 23:39
I normally say Thanks, See you later, or Bye.

However if someone pops out to the shop I'l say Laters.

bmxbandit
16-05-2005, 23:42
i find being called duck is irritating, no matter how nice the person is being... though i wouldn't give anyone an earful about it.

Macca371
17-05-2005, 00:07
I always say ciao to friends and family, and bye to everyone else.

iadom
17-05-2005, 11:33
Service engineer who as botched the job?

Careful.:mad: ;) :angel: