PDA

View Full Version : Mistakenly banned IP - how do I change.

1meg
14-05-2005, 12:24
Hi; - 1st welcome back. Used to use you guys a lot in the past so was suprised when I googled an NTL IP problem and you guts came up top hit. Nice one.

I've been banned from another forum and am assured it's because of the way NTL work, nothing to do whth me :angel: ......as per the following comments by the moderators.

I've emailed NTL customer support but have received no response and wondered if there's a legitimate work around within my control. BTW I want to remain connected via Ethernet.

I've tried ipconfig /release and then renew but that didn't work.... but only left it between the 2 states for about 5 mins.

QUOTE FROM OTHER FORUM MODS....
It would seem that NTL has had their proxy address banned.

I have been tracking a few users registering "I am banned" notes and they are all from NTL.

Unfortunately when a user (or handful of users) carry on to the point that it forces an IP ban, it usually affects other users since unless users pay for a private address, that address is usually shared.
In the case of NTL, I would guess that they are shuttling your browser communications through a proxy server. Therefore, all users on NTL end up with the same address when they are communicating to the recipient site.

Since we cannot browse IP bans, and since IP bans are permanent without the ability to be released, you only have a couple of options at this point.

1. Try and not use their proxy. In your browser settings you should have an area which says to bypass the proxy for certain addresses.

Enter the Xbox forums address and see if that works.(They may not allow communications outside their proxy tho')

2. Search out a different proxy service and try using that to connect. This may not be an easy task, since the cheap/free ones are likely blocked as well, since many spammers use them to get around bans.

3. Talk to NTL and find out why they are forcing a proxy. Relay what is happening and see if they can help you or have any suggestions.

They may even have to contact Microsoft or Xbox.com directly to discuss the matter.

Any help would be much aprreciated.

Chris W
14-05-2005, 12:32
:welcome:

If indeed the forum have banned your proxy i'm afraid there is nothing you can do about it. It is down to the forum admins being too lazy to code the site the give your real ip instead of the proxy ip.

If it is your own ip that has been banned, then you can force a change by changing the mac address your ethernet card. (switching to usb will also force an ip change but you have said you don't want to do this so we'll ignore that...).

To change the NIC's mac, first use ipconfig /all to find the "physical address".

Then go to device manager, ethernet card properties then advanced. You will be able to specify a mac address. Type the one you found in ipconfig but increment the last digit by one- NB f does not become G, but would become 0 [zero]. The range used is 0-9 and A-F.

Reboot the modem to pick up a new ip and you should be all sorted :)

Finally, if it is the proxy that is blocked, you can try specifying a different one- see the articles sections for a list of ntl proxies and instructions on how to specify one :)

hth
MB

Graham M
14-05-2005, 12:33
sorry not very helpful but this bit is more than likely BS

Since we cannot browse IP bans, and since IP bans are permanent without the ability to be released, you only have a couple of options at this point.

1meg
14-05-2005, 12:37
That's frustrating cos it's not any 2 bit website, it's the official Xbox.com website.

Hugely frustrating :mad: :mad:

Paul
14-05-2005, 12:47
A combination of lazy programming and bulls**t in there - odds on they are a US site ?

If they have blocked the proxy then manually specify another.

Are you talking about forums.xbox.com ?

I can access that site ok, and I'm on the same Nottingham proxy array as you.

1meg
14-05-2005, 13:25
A combination of lazy programming and bulls**t in there - odds on they are a US site ?

If they have blocked the proxy then manually specify another.

Are you talking about forums.xbox.com ?

I can access that site ok, and I'm on the same Nottingham proxy array as you.

Yep.... that's the one.

Basically ban appeared about a week ago... and various Emails from their Mods saying they had no idea why as my tag etc was not listed, then I menteiond I was on NTl and they pointed their finger at that.

trying to follow monkeybreaths instructions and am in the advanced tag.

It has 6 properties..
adaptive interrupt
connection type
flow control
network address
receive buffers
transmit buffers..

1st Q - am I in the right place???

Assuming I am and it's the network address I'm looking at, the options indicate 'not present' - I can indicate a specific value above though.

BTW I'm on XP.

Can anyone help?

MrBen
14-05-2005, 13:35
Yeah Network Address is the one you want :)

Ben