PDA

View Full Version : Two Connections At One Household?

jpproductions
14-05-2005, 12:13
Hello, at the mo, the main broadband connection, is coming from the stb (which gets turned off before we all go to bed) the connection, is routed through a router (which yet again gets turned off when we all go to bed) what I would like to do in a couple of weeks, time is set up a server, one that I can keep online 24/7, but at the current state of things, I can't see happening with the facts that the stb and router get turned off when we all go to bed. The thing that I would like to know, is it possible if I could pay for a second connection, (one coming through the telephone line) and a modem placed in my study, so that I can run my server 24/7, I do not mind for paying for a second connection.

Yours
Jp Productions

Paul K
14-05-2005, 12:28
Through the telephone line? NTL don't use telephone lines to carry BB so you wouldn't be able to do that, have you got a BT line anywhere in the house? If so you could try for ADSL on the BT line.
Aside from that you can pay for a second STB and get that enabled for BB instead of the one that is feeding the router now.
If you are looking to set up a server for commercial purposes I would suggest getting a commercial BB account instead of a residential one :)

This wouldn't happen to be you would it?
http://jp-ukproductions.co.uk/
since you appear to be offering hosting
http://www.tvforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15242

Graham M
14-05-2005, 12:32
WHy not just leave the STB on?

Stuart
14-05-2005, 12:33
Hello, at the mo, the main broadband connection, is coming from the stb (which gets turned off before we all go to bed) the connection, is routed through a router (which yet again gets turned off when we all go to bed) what I would like to do in a couple of weeks, time is set up a server, one that I can keep online 24/7, but at the current state of things, I can't see happening with the facts that the stb and router get turned off when we all go to bed. The thing that I would like to know, is it possible if I could pay for a second connection, (one coming through the telephone line) and a modem placed in my study, so that I can run my server 24/7, I do not mind for paying for a second connection.

Yours
Jp Productions

NTL do recommend you do NOT turn off the STB. They use the night hours to do things like software upgrades, and (I think) test your connection.

I am confused. You are apparently unhappy to leave the STB switched on, but would be happy to a modem switched on?

jpproductions
14-05-2005, 12:46
well my partner thinks that the stb, would be unsafe to be left on over night, but I have explained but she thinks it needs to be turned off

------------
I offer hosting, but the server, is not at my house, as I agreed to let my friend maintain it next door, but soon want to bring it to my house, and pop it in my study, but would either like a second connection, or try and tell my partner that the stb and router can be left on

Paul
14-05-2005, 12:52
well my partner thinks that the stb, would be unsafe to be left on over night, but I have explained but she thinks it needs to be turned offThere is no reason at all to turn off an STB, in fact it's best left on 24/7, same with the router.

I offer hosting, but the server, is not at my house, as I agreed to let my friend maintain it next door, but soon want to bring it to my house, and pop it in my study, but would either like a second connection, or try and tell my partner that the stb and router can be left onUm, you offer hosting via an ntl residential connection ??? You might like to read up on the T&C's for your service ......

Chris W
14-05-2005, 12:53
well my partner thinks that the stb, would be unsafe to be left on over night, but I have explained but she thinks it needs to be turned off

------------
I offer hosting, but the server, is not at my house, as I agreed to let my friend maintain it next door, but soon want to bring it to my house, and pop it in my study, but would either like a second connection, or try and tell my partner that the stb and router can be left on

hosting on a connection with a maximum 300k upstream :erm:

jpproductions
14-05-2005, 12:58
There is no reason at all to turn off an STB, in fact it's best left on 24/7, same with the router.

Um, you offer hosting via an ntl residential connection ??? You might like to read up on the T&C's for your service ......

it's not for business use, and I at the mo, don't have the server on my connection, the server, is to help out people that want to set up new projects, and if I keep the stb on isn't there a risk of danger? and I thought ntl did the upgrade things during the day? and if I only have the stb connected and the router only hooked up on the power will that be less risky?

Stuart
14-05-2005, 14:00
it's not for business use, and I at the mo, don't have the server on my connection, the server, is to help out people that want to set up new projects, and if I keep the stb on isn't there a risk of danger? and I thought ntl did the upgrade things during the day? and if I only have the stb connected and the router only hooked up on the power will that be less risky?

As long as the STB has space for air to circulate around it, there is no danger from leaving the STB plugged in. Note, the STB does not have to be "on" as such. You can leave it in Standby mode.

Major upgrades (and network maintenance) tend to take place at night as the congestion on the network is lower (fewer people using it) and if something goes wrong, fewer people will be immediately affected. Obviously, if NTL haven't fixed it by morning, then people will be affected.

BTW, my old, pace STB was plugged in for several years and suffered no ill effects. My current Samsung STB (installed as the Pace boxes cannot handle above 1 Meg connections) has been switched on almost continually for nearly a year now, and is coping well.

Paul K
14-05-2005, 14:50
There is no reason at all to turn off an STB, in fact it's best left on 24/7, same with the router.

Um, you offer hosting via an ntl residential connection ??? You might like to read up on the T&C's for your service ......

Hello, I am investigating to see who would like space on my webserver to either create a new website, or to carry on your site, but on reliable servers, and with free mini sub domains. the cost of hosting will be a one of cost (a very small price) and then you pay no more, that is it, a one of payment and then you get full support to help you out, and to help you create new logos templates for you site etc, if you need any help I'm there. I have decided to do this as I want to help people out by making their ideas go futher, off the drawing board and into reality.
Sorry but that seems to be saying that you take payment for hosting (even if only a one off payment) which could be looked upon as commercial use of a residential service ;)

jpproductions
14-05-2005, 17:04
I am very sorry, but alot of people use there residential service, to set up as server, that evan charges monthly, but moving on, my stb and the router, is okay if left on over night? just to make 100% sure

paulyoung666
14-05-2005, 17:16
I am very sorry, but alot of people use there residential service, to set up as server, that evan charges monthly, but moving on, my stb and the router, is okay if left on over night? just to make 100% sure

yes yes yes , although i reckon you could he heading for a fall so to speak ;)

Chris W
14-05-2005, 17:20

I don't know about anyone else, but i wouldn't pay for hosting on a server with 300k upstream! If you get more than about three visitors the speeds will be so slow it would be unbearable!

philquinney
14-05-2005, 21:52
I don't know about anyone else, but i wouldn't pay for hosting on a server with 300k upstream! If you get more than about three visitors the speeds will be so slow it would be unbearable!

Not to mention having to reply to all the emails you'd receive from your hosting customers when NTL resegments the DHCP scopes ;)

Phil.

Stuart
14-05-2005, 22:04

Depending on how much space you will need and how much data is transferred, then, TBH, you would be better off buying some webspace with a reputable web hosting company, such as the one that I use, and this forum is hosted on: http://www.i-websolutions.co.uk .

Their Bronze Linux re-seller package offers

2048 MB Web Space, 20480 MB Transfer, Unlimited Email Addresses, Unlimited MySQL Databases, Unlimited Sub Domains
for £9.99 a month.

If you need more than that, then I am sure i-web (or any hosting company) would be happy to talk to you.

micah56
14-05-2005, 22:19
does any 1 know, if u get a second 2mb connection will u hav 2 pay £24.99 or will u pay less?

Paul K
14-05-2005, 22:22
I would think that IF you could get a second connection installed you would have to pay the full ammount twice. Why would you need 2 x 2Mb connections for residential use?

micah56
14-05-2005, 22:48
Cause the internet is shared and i do large amounts of downloading and my parents are complaing that the internet is slow, they even disconnect me from using the internet . So if i get a second connection 4 myself it every 1 will b ok

bmxbandit
14-05-2005, 22:54
I would think that IF you could get a second connection installed you would have to pay the full ammount twice. Why would you need 2 x 2Mb connections for residential use?

<<< *cough* :D

twice the upload bandwidth is nice, even though we don't download a huge amount (usually well under 1GB/day).

technically, we have to have 2 connections in my house cos we have 5 pc's on the network! thats my excuse :D. still, £40 a month isn't too bad for 4Mbit down, 400Kbit up (effectively)

Paul K
15-05-2005, 08:09
Cause the internet is shared and i do large amounts of downloading and my parents are complaing that the internet is slow, they even disconnect me from using the internet . So if i get a second connection 4 myself it every 1 will b ok
Depending on your usage you may need to be aware of the cap that is going to be enforced at some point ;) How is the connection shared between the computers?

micah56
15-05-2005, 10:10
Depending on your usage you may need to be aware of the cap that is going to be enforced at some point ;) How is the connection shared between the computers?

At the moment it goes through a router and then a wired connection to our pcs, plus i use xbox live and that kills all the upload, sepically while i'm seeding

Paul K
15-05-2005, 10:13
Seeding? Erm no comment ;)

steggs
21-05-2005, 21:20
i agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jules
21-05-2005, 21:46

I never turn mine off

Ignition
21-05-2005, 22:21
does any 1 know, if u get a second 2mb connection will u hav 2 pay £24.99 or will u pay less?

2 times £24.99 will be the charge, there's no volume discount.

Also as previously mentioned bear in mind the AUP rules on your connection. Seeding while all well and nice to the Bittorrent community isn't the best from the point of view of the capabilities of cable. Do expect to have some nice people wanting to discuss your usage with you at some point in the not very distant future if you are a heavy BT user.

jtwn
21-05-2005, 23:09
Do expect to have some nice people wanting to discuss your usage with you at some point in the not very distant future if you are a heavy BT user.

Is that an idle threat? ;) Are we talking about something new here?

homealone
21-05-2005, 23:27

I don't think Ig would be so unprofessional as to 'threaten' , anything, in my opinion he was just giving an heads up that connections saturating their upload link might attract attention, is all ;)

micah56
21-05-2005, 23:31
2 times £24.99 will be the charge, there's no volume discount.

Also as previously mentioned bear in mind the AUP rules on your connection. Seeding while all well and nice to the Bittorrent community isn't the best from the point of view of the capabilities of cable. Do expect to have some nice people wanting to discuss your usage with you at some point in the not very distant future if you are a heavy BT user.

thanx 4 the lil warning there, but i dont do it that much

Ignition
21-05-2005, 23:42

I don't do 'idle threats' dude, I don't do threats of any kind. I do do advanced warnings ;)

As far as 'something new' goes, it's all in the PDFs for those who look hard enough. :)

As stated in annual reports the 3GB limit on 1Mbit services is to be policed later on this year is pretty much all there is to say!

jtwn
21-05-2005, 23:53
As stated in annual reports the 3GB limit on 1Mbit services is to be policed later on this year is pretty much all there is to say!

Ohhh, that :p: =)

Ignition
21-05-2005, 23:55
Ohhh, that :p: =)

Yep as far as the 2 + 3Mbit services go I have no idea about them. Anyone who thinks that ntl don't monitor usage is naive, however as far as the policy regarding heavy usage goes I have no idea!

Not saying this is going to happen but I've seen loads of ways that limits are policed from an automated email when you break a certain threshold through to being isolated from the normal network until you have agreed to be a good boy for the rest of the month by clicking a button on a webpage, which is the only one you can access until you've clicked. Another way is to agree to pay a charge per GB over the limit.

This is, can't say this enough, what I've seen from other providers, I honestly have no idea about what ntl are planning to do with regards to these things. Honestly I don't!!