PDA

View Full Version : Hell Of An NTL Installation

Shumway
13-05-2005, 21:48
Anybody care to comment on this mess i've got with NTL right now? About a month ago i ordered an upgrade from Analogue to Digital - they said it'd take a month for them to come round and install (two boxes). I queried why so long and was told that all new installations in my area required a new Samsung box and they were in short supply so i'd have to wait. They said you're better off doing that anyway because the older boxes are rubbish and you don't want one of those. I said fine and duly waited. Actually inbetween that time i had a conversation with another NTL Salesman because some details on the hire contract were incorrect (some dozy customer service person had forgotten to change my phone tarrif prior which resulted in £100 of wrongly billed calls i have just been refunded) and when i mentioned why i had been told i had to wait so long he said he didn't know anything about the Samsungs but that new installations should in theory get new equipment and not to accept anything reconditioned but have a word with the engineer or just send them away.

Installation day came last week. The guy turned up, and looked relieved to see that the house was already cabled as he was busy and needed to get away. He connected the first digital box, which was a PACE DVT1000 or something. I mentioned that the salesmen had said something about needing a Samsung and he said it was the wrong area for them and they'll say anything anyway. The box looked in newish condition so i thought it was and that was cool as i knew you weren't really supposed to specify anything like a model. He left it downloading and waiting for channels as he went upstairs to install the second. This time though he unpacked the same make of box but the front looked scratched up and really old, and he couldn't get the card out of the box as it looked jammed inside with something sticky on it. I commented on that and asked if they were reconditioned, he said yes and i politely said i wouldn't accept that - and either he come up with something half decent or take away both boxes and i'd just cancel NTL. He got very irrated, even i'd say just downright rude and nasty. He said that all people in my area just get whatever reconditioned stuff they have and i had no choice but to accept it. I restated that even a salesperson had told me that i should get new stuff on a new install and to reject anything i wasn't happy with - he said he would have the salesperson sacked. He said that he wasn't prepared to take away the other set top box as he would not now get paid for the job and so i'd have to unconnect it myself and hand it back to him. I refused, saying that i wasn't paid or qualified to do that so no chance. He said fine, he'd just leave it sitting there and walk away. After a bit more of trying to persuade me and my family that I should continue with his installation he did leave - with all the other equipment (remotes etc), paperwork unsigned and sat outisde in his van for about 15 minutes. In that time the channels started to come through on the box so i guess he activated it there or something even though i'd told him i didn't want it.

I phoned customer services almost immediately who said that the installation of the first box wasn't even showing as attached to my account and might not for a while. They saw my point about accepting equipment in a less than decent state and I told them to either sort out what was originally offered or to come and collect the box and i'd go to SKY. They put me on hold while they spoke with the engineering dept and also their supervisor. They came back and said that they considered the installers actions completely unacceptable but did say that because new equipment was in short supply they were using reconditioned stuff in some new installations but you didn't have to accept it. They also said that as i was a longtime customer (7 years) they were prepared to install two of the new Samsung boxes but it'd be a one to two month wait and i could stick with analogue for now. Seeing as i had already been waiting a month supposedly for this reason i accepted this and was told i'd be called when they had them, or to call back in a month. I asked what to do with the Pace box and they made a call to the engineers to see if it could be collected that day, they came back saying the engineers suggested i keep the Pace connected 'as is' so i could be on digital and they'd swap the boxes as soon as they could. I agreed to this, although it is a bit awkward as i am now left with no 2nd STB at all upstairs which is the main one i wanted. They also sent a remote in the post as i had been left without one. Not even sure they have applied the digital service to my account as it's all working but i'm still showing up as still on analogue until they can sort things. I'm actually wondering which service i'm actually gonna end up being billed for - lol.

That's pretty much it - i know the Samsung boxes are better but it wasn't really the main issue for me and it was THEM who told me about all that. It was more how i was treated by the engineer and that on signing for a years contract on two boxes and paying NTL around £150 each month i'd get something at least fairly new from them. As it is, i've noticed the card cover falls off the pace as it is if you move it but its ok other than that. They certainly don't advertise that they give you reconditioned equipment that isn't in a decent state when you sign up and i'm considering giving them a month or so and if not just cancelling it and moving to SKY where i'm guaranteed a new STB that hasn't been hanging around someone elses house for a few years. Anyway i shall see what happens (will probably never hear anything else from them) but i've had nothing but problems with them this week what with the phone tarrif two so i'm going to write a complaint letter or something.

Paul
13-05-2005, 22:24
Sounds totally unacceptable, what area of the uk are you in ?

Chris W
13-05-2005, 22:37
I think the salesman caused most of your problems to be honest.

- Samsungs are only supplied in certain parts of the country.
- The only time you *need* a Samsung box is if you are using it for Broadband at speeds of over 1mb.
- It is common to get a reconditioned box
- The boxes are, and remain, property of ntl so it is a case of have what you are given- this differs from Sky where you own the STB so would expect a new box.

Despite all of that, you still have not had good service....

Shumway
14-05-2005, 12:09
I'm in the Ex-Videotron/C&W area in South East London that covers Lewisham, Greenwich, Woolwich, Plumstead etc. Yeah i realise that it seems to be that the salesman has caused most of the problems (aside from the installers attitude), and i realise to an extent you get what you are given (hence being prepared to take the first pace which looked ok) but when it came to the second one it really did look on its last legs - i've been with em for a long time so no that once you've got stuff it takes a lot to persuade them to swap it out and so was apprehensive. All i asked is that he sorted something half decent out but that didn't seem an option with him so i just said forget it. It does seem wierd that all of a sudden they're prepared to come up with two Samsungs (their suggestion, not mine) so if they really aren't in my area not sure if thats ever gonna happen or not. I also asked the installer to fit a bypass on the boxes as we are in an area with extremely weak terrestrial reception but he denied they existed now for digital boxes at all.

I don't think i was being unreasonable to expect something new or in at least a decent state on signing a new contract, certainly not something that looked like it had just come straight from another persons house where they'd probably had kids with sticky fingers jamming things in it or something. If they are going to leave you with very old reconditioned boxes they should make people aware of it before they sign, i know sky are upfront in their terms about giving recons on the new STB's that go wrong in the first year. As it is, the salesman used new equipment to explain the delay so it was them and i think a CSR also backed up the whole Samsung thing when i rang at one point to try and get a quicker date. Seems like NTL will give you any old excuse !

Chris W
14-05-2005, 12:36
there are samsungs available in your area- but as it is an area where BB is provided through STB these will be given to people who need them for 2/3meg broadband as preference...

If you do manage to get a Samsung, but can't get hold of an analogue bypass, send me a PM with your details and i'll get one in the post for you.

spike7451
15-05-2005, 22:53
Sorry about your problems,Samsung STB'S are in a short supply & we cant get them herew!They are going to the Bromley network.The installers actions are bad but understandable.He gets NO say on what stores he gets issued .The salesman cant promise you will get this or that as he has no control over the stores or installs.you can ask for a samsung,but if we dont have it.....
As for the reconditioned boxes,I have a lot of faults from them.It's not the installers fault,it's the p**** who are meant to recon them when they are returned.I had a fault last week & i tried 3 stb's to get one to work.The phase 1 pace seem to be the best(slot in the front flap)
M

Shumway
17-05-2005, 11:45
Thanks a lot "Monkeybreath", thats very kind and i'll make sure i do that - and yeah Spike, i can understand things from the installers point of view and see most of the problem is with the people who recon the boxes and salesmen etc but if he'd have had a better attitude and explained things rather than just blag his way through the job it would have made a big difference. I guess they are very pressured though, it seems like the various branches of NTL don't seem to work very well together and some are letting the side down a little by just doing as little as possible or saying anything to get a job or query sorted and you out the way asap. I know there are some good people there though too.

spike7451
17-05-2005, 15:19
One of the big problems is communication between the departments within NTL.One of the guys last week had 2 x 2man full installs in one day! Bucause he was routed those 2 jobs & the time he 'wasted' sorting out someone elses **** **, he lost money as he was'nt able to complete the required number of jobs to get his bonus.

The contractors are,on average,going out with between 6 to 9 jobs a day!A job can take 20 minutes or 2 hours & as the company seem to be getting more focused on figures & performance league tables,the stress 7 pressure on you to acheive tose daily targets is higher than before.
In my opinion,the company seem to be losing the focus on the customer in favore of the figures.
Spike