PDA

View Full Version : 3Com Office Connect Problem

GAllan
13-05-2005, 21:23
Hi all

I'm trying to connect a 3Com Office Connect Router/WiFi/Firewall/ADSL modem to set to box (Cable Modem?).

I'm currentaly connected with both ethernet cable and wifi. The ethernet card has the same IP address as the router (checked this with NTL Support) and using this I can connect to the internet but if I disable the ethernet card and swithch to wireless I can't access the internet.

I guess that the router should be able route to the internet via one of the ethernet ports but I don't know how to configure this or how to disable the ADSL.

Has anyone else confgured a ADSL Modem/Router to work with a cable modem, Office Connect or otherwise?

Regards

Graham

JohnHorb
13-05-2005, 21:59
:welcome: to the forum, but I think you are going to be out of luck on this one. An ADSL modem/router is NOT suitable for connection to a cable modem. It has a built-in ADSL modem, but ADSL is a different technology.

GAllan
13-05-2005, 22:19
John

I'm not trying to use the ADSL to connect, I just want to use the router part to connect to the cable modem.

I got the ADSL version in case I wanted to switch to ADSL in the future.

Any idears?

Chris W
13-05-2005, 22:20
John

I'm not trying to use the ADSL to connect, I just want to use the router part to connect to the cable modem.

I got the ADSL version in case I wanted to switch to ADSL in the future.

Any idears?

you will only be able to use this router on cable if it has an RJ45 "uplink" or "wan" port as well as the RJ11 for adsl....

JohnHorb
14-05-2005, 08:12
Like he ^^^ says. The router will have a WAN (Wide Area Network) connection to connect to the net, and several LAN (Local Area Network) connections to connect to local PCs (plus wireless connections if it is a wireless router). ADSL routers also have a built-in ADSL modem, and AFAIK, the WAN connection is INTERNALLY connected to the built-in modem. You then have a connection (RJ11) to connect the modem to the ADSL line. Non-ADSL routers have the WAN connection exposed as an RJ45 port which you connect to the EXTERNAL cable modem. What I suspect you are doing, is connecting one of the LAN ports to the cable modem, which is effectively bypassing the router function and just using the 'router' as a simple hub. Unless your router is dual-function (never heard of any that are!) such that the WAN connection can go to the internal modem OR an external RJ45 port, I'm afraid you are out of luck.

GAllan
14-05-2005, 19:37
Guys

Thans for your help. I think you are correct, there is no external WAN connecter. Funny think is I got this at the recomendation of the Network Manager where I work!

Regards

Graham