PDA

View Full Version : Touch typing

Nidge
13-05-2005, 10:20
How long does it take to learn??

Nugget
13-05-2005, 10:32
Stupidly enough, it depends on how quickly you want to learn. I did typing at GCSE (sad, I know :D ), and it took me about 6 months at 2 hours a week.

Having said that, I almost never touch type anymore - I see it more as a useful to know how to on occasion, but not something that's really necessary.

HTH :tu:

Nidge
13-05-2005, 10:36
Mmm just wondering thats all, seen something on QVC the other night where it said learn to touch type in 60 minutes. My missus can touch type I'm not bad at it she said you can't touch type in 60 minutes, when she had lessons years ago at school they had paper over the keyboard looking at a blackboard with a qwerty keyboard written on it, that had to copy the writing on the blackboard.

altis
13-05-2005, 11:18
I took RSA stage 1 at the local college. One night a week for, I think, 12 weeks. Cheap and VERY useful.

allieyoung666
13-05-2005, 11:51
Mavis Beacon is a really good tying package, but with time you pick it up, thats the way I learnt to do it. It more of a memory game for me. I learnt in about a month at uni, I prefer to do it at my own pace though.

shredder
13-05-2005, 12:14
learn direct also do an online typing course

Graham
13-05-2005, 12:42
How long does it take to learn??

Good question! I learned touch typing when I discovered that the Bristol Uni mainframe had a TT training program which was excellent.

The only problem is that it was about 25 years ago and I really can't recall how long it took! At a guess I'd say I was spending an hour or two a day over a couple of months (I remember I was accessing it during the summer vacation), but it obviously depends on how much time and effort and practice you put in.

What I *do* know is that it's an extremely useful skill to have, so if you can find a decent program (I understand that the Mavis Beacon one is good), it's well worth spending the time needed to learn.

I haven't had my speed checked for a while, but I know some years back I was doing 60 WPM or 10,000 KDPH which isn't bad :)

goblin
13-05-2005, 13:29
Mavis Beacon is a really good tying package, but with time you pick it up, thats the way I learnt to do it. It more of a memory game for me. I learnt in about a month at uni, I prefer to do it at my own pace though.

It should be noted that the only reason the Mavis Beacon package is so highly regarded is because it was the only solution to learning to type sometime ago. There were lots of books on the subject, but very few computer programs. So it was really the only solution.

These days there is more choice and they are free:
http://typingsoft.com/all_typing_tutors.htm#Kiran

I personally learnt to type using a paper keyboard which I memorised and a "favourite sentence". I spent any "quiet time" imagining my keyboard and "typing" in my mind various sentences etc. Which all seemed to work ready for when I finally got my hands on an actual keyboard.

shredder
13-05-2005, 13:33
Mmm just wondering thats all, seen something on QVC the other night where it said learn to touch type in 60 minutes. My missus can touch type I'm not bad at it she said you can't touch type in 60 minutes, when she had lessons years ago at school they had paper over the keyboard looking at a blackboard with a qwerty keyboard written on it, that had to copy the writing on the blackboard.

that's how the learn direct one works, except the keyboard you look at is on the screen, i found it to be a good course actually, though i am only half way through, i had to delay it for a while due to my university finals, i think it cost around £25

Silent Wings
13-05-2005, 15:46
Have a little practise with this

http://www.senselang.com

allieyoung666
13-05-2005, 15:51
Most local libaries do a course now for free.

Steve H
13-05-2005, 16:24
I just learnt touch typing from regular use of the PC, mainly MSN. It kicks ass when things need typing up, really neat hobby to have.

Ramrod
13-05-2005, 16:29
Mandy types 70-80 words per minute.............she used to be a secretary/PA with 'kelly girl'

cookie_365
13-05-2005, 18:28
You'll find you can get to the point where you can touch type letters fairly well very quickly indeed, getting commas, colons, and capitals is a bit trickier and so takes a bit longer, and numbers and asterisks trickier still so takes longer still.

So if the idea is to speed up text based chat, then I reckon you'll have upped your typing speed within a couple of hours. But stick at it and at least have a go at the trickier stuff.

I won't employ anyone who doesn't have at least the basics of touch typing, and I can't be the only one to say that ;)

JediMaster
13-05-2005, 18:35
Ok on QVC they normally sell http://search.ebay.co.uk/Kaz-Touch-Type_W0QQfromZR41

Kazx Touch Type. On EBay it was sold at £2 & £2 P+P. (last week) as a BIN price.... But there is a Auction there for 5 days left. £2 so far....

I touch type with my feet. Just type as normal & some time you will be able to do it with out looking down :D

greencreeper
13-05-2005, 19:43
I can manage 50 wpm according to Hayes, but I've never learnt - just how I type :shrug: I guess you just pick it up :erm:

Theodoric
13-05-2005, 19:45
For some of us, never! I'm pretty good with 2 fingers, however. :)

allieyoung666
13-05-2005, 19:51
I can manage 50 wpm according to Hayes, but I've never learnt - just how I type :shrug: I guess you just pick it up :erm:

I agree, I have only got this fast with practice, andI have been doing touch typing now for about 2yrs and Paul is picking it up as well, if you put your mind to it you do not need to waste your money.