PDA

View Full Version : Radio Amateurs

fireman328
13-05-2005, 10:19
I know this has been asked before but I think it was some time ago.
Who is a licenced amateur on the forum ?
I have a G8 callsign but am not very active.

zoombini
13-05-2005, 14:17
I was a G7 upto about 15 years ago.
I'm still thinking about reapplying for my license. :D

Maybe when I have my loft den finished & space for the radios to be got out of storage.

ScaredWebWarrior
13-05-2005, 14:22
I know this has been asked before but I think it was some time ago.
Who is a licenced amateur on the forum ?
I have a G8 callsign but am not very active.

Current G1 callsign, although I'm rarely on.
I have Yeasu FT208 and 408 handhelds for those occasions when I am.

Millay
13-05-2005, 15:04
hmm whats the difference with the precediing number ie g0 as i have a customer whos call sign starts as g0...

Many thanks..

ScaredWebWarrior
13-05-2005, 15:37
hmm whats the difference with the precediing number ie g0 as i have a customer whos call sign starts as g0...

Many thanks..

Once upon a time, many eons ago, the number related to the 'class' of licence. Back then G8 or G6 was a B-class licence, and G4 was A-class licence. Then they ran out of numbers and started with G1 for B-class licences etc. (I actually had a G5 licence originally, but that got changed when they reallocated the G5 series.)

Now the licence structure is completely different, and we have new 'M' callsigns etc.

http://www.r-clarke.org.uk/hamfaq1.htm#callsign

Matth
13-05-2005, 23:59
Lapsed G0, and had a G8 before that...

Just saw the new licence structure on that site - what a stupid, half-baked idea the morse assessment is - I did the morse, to the ful 12wpm required to get my class A, and then dropped it - never touched a key after that!

Morse test was easier than I thought, though the receiving test piece was a gift, as it happened to be about something I knew, so I could use a lot more context correction than otherwise.

Russ
14-05-2005, 17:17
Ahh, the good old "breaker breaker one-nine" people :)

Roy MM
14-05-2005, 17:31
Ahh, the good old "breaker breaker one-nine" people :)

think that was just CB radio Russ not am radio, had a G8 till i was caught using an illegal amp (wellie) had my equipment siezed and licence revoked, silly me :dunce: :angel:

Russ
14-05-2005, 17:37
Yeah I know, I'm just in a wind-up mood today :D

From my CB radio experience the easiest way to wind up a radio ham was to tell them that "it's all the same thing" :D

It always seemed like radio amateurs were extremely paranoid of being banded togather with those lowly CBers ;)

Roy MM
14-05-2005, 17:43
I still have one lying around somewhere a Rotel side band rig, but no aerial now.

Russ
14-05-2005, 17:45
I loved my old Rotel 240, basically a cybernet circuitboard. CEPT added of course :D

But for sidebanding, you couldn't really beat a Cobra 148 mark 2 ;)

Paul
14-05-2005, 17:47
Wow, how to take a topic "off topic" ;) Superstar 2000 - the best.

Russ
14-05-2005, 17:51
The Superstar 2000 and Cobra 148 were exactly the same though weren't they? Only cosmetic differences?

And seeing as most had an EpRom chip added to give them super-lo to super-hi (super-hi stretching over to amateur channels) it's not really all that far off topic ;)

zoombini
14-05-2005, 21:02
I prefered the Ham international range, I could work wonders with those PLL02A chips :D

Russ
14-05-2005, 21:19
Mmmmm, Ham International Jumbo, I loved that rig! The only thing I found with those machines was the audio on FM was ropey at best - you really needed a quality mic to be heard well. The Uniden boards (Cobra, President, Superstar etc) had such sweet audio though :)

Roy MM
14-05-2005, 21:25
Lot you picked up when skip was hi, was like talking to Donald duck tho, ho happy days. :D

Richard M
14-05-2005, 21:26
Amateur radio: Teamspeak for non-gamers. :D

Escapee
14-05-2005, 22:19
I,m a GW0 myself, was a GW6 when I passed about 1983. The hobby has unfortunately died sudden a death, we are seeing that in the workplace trying to employ some apprentices at my place of employment.

Our work is 75% RF with Satellite and land based comms, it was always possible in the past to find a youngster interested in amateur radio who was worth employing.........

Chat rooms, stealing cars and taking drugs these days though ;)

Paul
15-05-2005, 00:09
Chat rooms, stealing cars and taking drugs these days though ;)All at the same time :erm:

Escapee
15-05-2005, 00:14
All at the same time :erm:

I did put a smiley at the end :D

It is really difficult these days to get youngsters ie: school leavers who have an interest in any sort of engineering. As an example of the current problem we have recruiting, there are four positions to fill and so far one guy aged 57 is the only one interviewed worth employing. The company is paying very well for the right people, but theres an engineering skills shortage in this country.

I am all for youngsters taking an interest. if I didn't get involved in electronics/radio through amateur radio, I could of possibly been in some dead end job earning half my wages now.

This country has gone to the dogs!