PDA

View Full Version : Who wants to mark my card?

iadom
12-05-2005, 19:18
Calling all the betting experts on CF.
I am going on a stag do tomorrow, the one for my nieces intended, yes the thoughtless oaf who arranged his wedding on Cup Final day.:( ;)

Leave early morning for York stopping at a pub on the way for breakfast & :beer:

Then on to York Races for the afternoon, betting etc & :beer:

After the race meeting into York for a meal & :beer:

Then we hit the clubs and bars of York for, well it would be rude not to, more... :beer:

Now to me a Yankee is a smug American, a treble is something you find on a dartboard and an accumulator is and old term for a battery. I can manage to use a bookie or the Tote and will be betting to win or each way, but as for understanding form I have no idea.
If anyone in the know can give me some pointers for tomorrows races I would be most grateful. If I come away financially much better off, I will make another donation to CF.:)

Roy MM
12-05-2005, 19:26
Well 5 out of 6 favourites won at York today, that could be a pointer.

Angua
12-05-2005, 21:34
Also worth noting is the number of runners in a race and the odds. If there are only a few runners (4 or so) an each way bet will only pay up to 2nd. Odds of 5/1 or more on an each way bet should cover your costs if they are placed. The fewer the runners the more likely the favourite will win (never guaranteed though). The row of about 6 numbers/letters next to the horse's name ie 1102F0 show how they have done in their last 6 races (however I don't know if they are read left to right or right to left there may even be more numbers (it's been a few years since I worked in a bookies)) these read from the left: - 1st, 1st, not placed, fell, not placed. Remember the only guaranteed winner is the Bookie and don't bet more than you can afford to lose.;)

Have fun and good luck (my Mum was pursuaded to put a 55p Yankee on once and won £178; she never bet again).:Yikes:

Graham
12-05-2005, 22:35
If anyone in the know can give me some pointers for tomorrows races I would be most grateful.

Certainly: Save your money. Betting is a mug's game and the only real winners are the Bookies!

iadom
12-05-2005, 23:36
Certainly: Save your money. Betting is a mug's game and the only real winners are the Bookies!
I know, the bookies would have a hard time indeed if they had to depend on me, but I enjoy going to a race meeting and never bet money that I cannot afford to lose. I never go into a local bookmakers to bet on anything. The National Lottery and Premium Bonds are the extent of my wagers.
Having said that I have had four numbers on the lottery twice winning around £90 each time and on the very rare occasion I bought a scratch card I have won £66 & £250.

I almost forgot, I did once get five and the bonus ball, but thats another story.;) :D