PDA

View Full Version : Any reported problem in the RG10 areas?

melevittfl
12-05-2005, 10:07
Hi,

Does anyone know if there is a general problem in the RG10 area?

I've been having intermitent connections problems lately. One day last month, the modem went out (no sync or rdy lights) for a day. NTL sent an engineer around and he fixed a cable connector that hadn't been crimped properly.

However, the modem had been working fine for years with the uncrimped cable and now I'm still getting dropped connections.

The strange thing is, it seems to happen around the same time. Yesterday the connection was lost around 10:30 AM, and today it went out around 10. (posting this through another connection).

The signal levels yesterday, when it was working, were something like:
downstream SNR: 32
downstream (something): -6.41
uptream power: 61

When the engineer came out last time, unfortunatly, the cable modem suddenly connected just before he showed up. He plugged the cable into a signal tester and said the signal level was fine. Now, I don't know for sure, but I seem to remember having lower upstream power numbers and a downstream number closer to 0 (like 3ish).

What I'm thinking is that the signal level is only just within acceptable limits and that, for some reason, it occasionally degrades just enough to loose the signal.

Any NTL techs have an idea of what to do? Obviously, the best thing to do would be to have an engineer there when it's not working, but thats hit or miss.

Neil
12-05-2005, 10:27
Have you rung ntl Tech Support, or checked the Server Status Page?

melevittfl
12-05-2005, 10:32
I'm not at home, so I haven't rung NTL tech support.

I've checked the status pages and there's nothing about any problems in my area.

melevittfl
12-05-2005, 11:09
OK,
It's come back online now.

Looking at the event log, it show the message:
Reset
then
R02.0 No Ranging Response received, T3 time-out

then
Ranging Failed on All UCDs

I'll try attaching a picture of the log...