PDA

View Full Version : no technician avaible!!

leeswin
11-05-2005, 19:39
:rolleyes: ok so who now supports the broadband I assusme its changed??

ok so I now ive been with broadband since it started however I seem to remember back in the good old days when you could get a proper technian to help. I phoned up yesterday and the person I spoke to was as much help as a choclate tea pot in a wax works, first they tried blaming the windows firewall (oh dear but I dont use windows firewall :p: ) then they kept having to go away and double check everything - arh .

After 30+ mins of this I gave up, and waited for the broadband fairies to fix it. I asked if there was someone techinical there I could talk to and was told not avaible to help (so who is he checking with) :mad: and to add insult to injury I was told they were there till 12:00 and at 20:30 i couldnt get through!!!!!!

there seems to be no "technical" in the support line anymore is this another brilliant money making idea form some manager at NTL again???????

anyone else noticed this????????????

Florence
11-05-2005, 21:15
yes I have been there and had the treatment you should have asked was he in India.. They do tell you if they are mind you still get the same level of service you had. Its the latest wonderful Idea of NTLs they can't give the staff any more **** so its the customers turn.

Paul K
11-05-2005, 21:21
They follow a pre-set script to eliminate certain possible causes before they can then move onto other things that more often than not are causing the problem, unfortunately this can be annoying but sometimes it can highlight obvious things that have been missed ;) What problem are you having with your connection?

Chris W
11-05-2005, 21:29
you should have asked was he in India.

why should the OP have asked? crap service is crap service, whichever country it comes from. Unless of course you want the information to feed your hatred for call centres in india....

They follow a pre-set script to eliminate certain possible causes before they can then move onto other things that more often than not are causing the problem, unfortunately this can be annoying but sometimes it can highlight obvious things that have been missed ;)

mmm.... There isn't actually a script- but techs know what things normally go wrong so will always eliminate these first. But yeh, as you have said most problems are caused by one of about 10 different issues, so it is best to eliminate these before considering other things.

Florence
11-05-2005, 22:29
why should the OP have asked? crap service is crap service, whichever country it comes from. Unless of course you want the information to feed your hatred for call centres in india....

The he would have known if it was a center in hte UK that gave the crap service or the few left in the UK.

My recent experience was that they didn't know NTL had a large outage and getting the message through to them was hard. I was answered just as my post code was mentioned, when I told him he had picked up just as my postcode was mentioned for an outage I was given the we have no outage let me run thorugh some tests. :Yikes: but he wouldn't get the correct answers coz the network was down and again he said well we will just run throught the tests.
10 mins later and he comes back and says the network is down that is why I have no internet :erm: I told him that 10 mins earlier.

mmm.... There isn't actually a script- but techs know what things normally go wrong so will always eliminate these first. But yeh, as you have said most problems are caused by one of about 10 different issues, so it is best to eliminate these before considering other things.

Yes the India guys use a script he told me he was just checking what to test next on the script I by this time had given up altoegether and was rebooting everything as he asked a complete and utter waste of my time and his but he is paid to waste his.

Chris W
11-05-2005, 22:37
Yes the India guys use a script he told me he was just checking what to test next on the script I by this time had given up altoegether and was rebooting everything as he asked a complete and utter waste of my time and his but he is paid to waste his.

Silly me for thinking i knew what i was talking about... it's not as if i speak to the guys and girls in India every day or anything :rolleyes:

Oh and just FYI if i get a call where someone says their neighbours have all lost connection as well i do the following:

- check for known outages
- run test on individual modem to find which UBR, cable and upsteam it is on (3 minutes)
- run another test on UBR to check for high numbers of offline modems on particular upstreams or cables (3 minutes)
- check MRTG for a drop (1 minute)
- pass information on for escalation (1 minute)

That's a total of 8 minutes... and if it was an area problem then i would have reached the same conclusion as the person you have issues with. Oh and just for clarification.... I work in Swansea. But then again it took me 8minutes to confirm a problem and escalate it properly so i might as well move to india and start working there.... :rolleyes:

The he would have known if it was a center in hte UK that gave the crap service or the few left in the UK.

You seem to have missed my point- what difference does it make whether the OP was speaking to someone in the UK or India?

Change the record Kits, we all know you have had crap service from ntl's tech support in India, but the more you bang on about it the more people on this forum will get bored and just stop listening to you.

Florence
11-05-2005, 22:47
and you missed the point the min he answered I said there was an outage a recorded message had just given my postcode out as total loss of service.

If India ever got it right I would say so but I have been through to them and can't say I have had a decent level of service.

They do say for many ISPs you get what you pay well I want what I pay for. A service that works and staff that knows their job and knows whats is happening.

leeswin
11-05-2005, 23:01
What problem are you having with your connection?

for the last few days my connection drops and i get no informamation through. no net, mail or messenger etc.

the lights are on as norm which is strange however the data light does not flash. I have tried diff pcs are these which are fine but makes no diff. rebooting the modem makes no diff.

il throw it opn to all see if any of you guys can work out whats going on cause i aint gor a clue.

Chris W
11-05-2005, 23:54
are you using a router or direct connection?

PM me the mac address from the modem and i'll have a look in work next week if you are still having problems.

leeswin
12-05-2005, 00:26
are you using a router or direct connection?

PM me the mac address from the modem and i'll have a look in work next week if you are still having problems.

will mail the details through tomrrow, and to answer your query i have tried it though a hardware firewall (this is the norm and has worked for over a yr and half), linksys router (for wireless and once again worked for over 2 yrs) and direct to the pc (current) with no firewall's enabled (rebooting in between each scenerio) and no diff.

hope this helps.