PDA

View Full Version : Fishtank help needed

Xaccers
10-05-2005, 20:32
My dad's got himself a huge new fish tank.
It's got a large rock formation made from sponge.
Problem is, when he fills it with water, the sponge just floats.
He's tried squeezing it as much as he can to get the air out but it still floats off from the bottom.

Anyone got experience with this sort of thing and advice?

He's now emptied the tank and removed all the gravel, planning to let it dry out and glue the sponge to the bottom, but there must be a better way, surely?

Help!

Shaun
10-05-2005, 20:42
Buy real rock!!

Sorry, but I've never heard of sponge rocks, is it for display?

Paul K
10-05-2005, 20:42
My dad's got himself a huge new fish tank.
It's got a large rock formation made from sponge.
Problem is, when he fills it with water, the sponge just floats.
He's tried squeezing it as much as he can to get the air out but it still floats off from the bottom.

Anyone got experience with this sort of thing and advice?

He's now emptied the tank and removed all the gravel, planning to let it dry out and glue the sponge to the bottom, but there must be a better way, surely?

Help!
Fish line with non-lead weights? Can you cut the sponge and insert a pebble of something into it to weigh it down?

allieyoung666
10-05-2005, 20:52
I thought they were only for display as well?

Paul K
10-05-2005, 20:57
Just a thought but what sort of glue will he use to glue a natural material to glass (that won't kill the fish!!)?

Raistlin
10-05-2005, 20:59
Could he nail it down?

Tuftus
10-05-2005, 21:00
Could he nail it down?

:LOL:

to glass?

;)

Xaccers
10-05-2005, 21:03
Just a thought but what sort of glue will he use to glue a natural material to glass (that won't kill the fish!!)?

He's thinking of using the same stuff they use to put a tank together

Kliro
10-05-2005, 21:04
Yeah you'll need to use aquarium silicon. You can use lead weights (maybe nick the ones you get with your plants)

What type of fish is he planning on keeping?

+ Whats the tank size?

Does he know he has to cycle the tank before adding all his fish n that?

Xaccers
10-05-2005, 21:18
Yeah you'll need to use aquarium silicon. You can use lead weights (maybe nick the ones you get with your plants)

What type of fish is he planning on keeping?

+ Whats the tank size?

Does he know he has to cycle the tank before adding all his fish n that?

Well, about a month or so ago, they got a spherical tank (18inches of fish capacity), they've got some neons and others which I can't for the life of me remember what, but they seem to be loving the tank so much they're breeding like crazy!
So they've now got this cuboid tank, about 1.5m x .8m x .6m
He knows he's got to cycle and prepare the tank etc before transferring the fish.
He's just hit this stumbling block of the rock formation (I'll have to take pics) because he can't get it to sink.
Will tell him to go back to the shop and get some aqaurium silicon :)

fireman328
10-05-2005, 21:52
Let the sponge float and pretend it's the Sargasso sea

Theodoric
10-05-2005, 22:15
Try the choux bun technique. Slice the top off, scoop out a little of the inside, add something heavy but non-corrodible - plaster of paris perhaps - and cement the top back on.

EDIT In fact, if you pour in the plaster of paris then put the top back on, the plaster of paris could well act as a cement.

djstevie
10-05-2005, 22:19
Cant you just use the small weights you get for plants or something similar? :)

bob_a_builder
10-05-2005, 22:37
but they seem to be loving the tank so much they're breeding like crazy! Thats Guppy's for you !

homealone
10-05-2005, 22:41
Buy real rock!!

Sorry, but I've never heard of sponge rocks, is it for display?

it doesn't even work as a slogan - 'sponge rocks' - how many t shirts can you sell? :jk:

What you need is a vacuum - suck all the air out of the sponge, wrap it in something airtight, put it underwater, remove the wrapper - it should stay sunk :D

nffc
11-05-2005, 00:13
but they seem to be loving the tank so much they're breeding like crazy! Thats Guppy's for you !

Guppies are w00t. Die a lot though... Males are prettier unlike teh humans.

zoombini
11-05-2005, 00:56
Plastacine.
Real rocks & some string.
Glue it to a piece of something heavier.

humphreys barmy
11-05-2005, 08:45
Use a weight. I've used them before to weight a piece of cucumber down. But personnally I'd leave the sponge rock and get a real one.

Thinking about getting a fourth tank into the house !!!!:Yikes: