PDA

View Full Version : Mature Stoodents Ahoy!

Raistlin
09-05-2005, 19:41
Well, I finally did it, I got work to agree to green light my plans for World domination.....

No, wait, that's Plan B.....

Oh yeah, I got work to agree to green light my plans to improve my education.....

Starting some time soon I will be a Mature Stoodent (spelling mistakes intentional :) ).

Decided to do an OU degree, I have to say that I'm really excited about the prospect and can't wait to get started (first module starts in October).

If anybody has recently returned to education and would care to share any tips/pearls of wisdom with me I woud appreciate it.

I'm particularly worried about the Tutor Marked Assessments. It's been ages since I did any essay or report writing.

Look out for progress updates as I go through the modules (and probably lots of questions / cries for assistance as well). It's a Computing / Business degree so I know I'll be in the right place for opinions / help. :tu: :D

Chimaera
09-05-2005, 19:45
What worries have you got about the TMA's? Just do your best and remember everyone is in the same boat as you! You will be fine, I did a basic 10 point OU course just to prove I could write essays (as I'd only ever done science at college, I could, BTW!) and got pretty good marks. Just enjoy it!

Ramrod
09-05-2005, 19:54
Yep, enjoy the evenings spent doing homework! :p:

...........but seriously--good for you! :tu: :)

Halcyon
09-05-2005, 20:22
Thats great you are doing that.
You are about to start and Im just about to finish.... my student days are about to come to an end :( and the world of work awaits me.

Its good fun. Enjoy it.

hyclaase
09-05-2005, 20:23
Im a mature student!!! nothing like working as full time as possible, studing full time and still trying to keep a home!!! lol, it is great though, wouldnt change it for the world!!

maxtoralias
09-05-2005, 20:44
;) I did an OU degree in mechanical engineering some years ago and you basically have all the hard work of a degree without the normal associated student fun of getting blethered at all times, meeting a plethora of amenable women, etc.

Seriously though, good for you. I was a 'mature' 20 yr old when started and finished at the ripe old age of 25 :dunce: . It is hard work but you will definitely be proud of whatever you achieve - good luck and keep posting for moral support, etc. :tu:

allieyoung666
09-05-2005, 20:54
You go for it, i am starting one in sept and I cannot wait. I like learning new things as I always see it as a challenge and I like a good challenge, Plus the good thing about OU is that there are no younguns making stupid comments and giving stupid answers, you can get quite a good interlectual conversation.

hyclaase
09-05-2005, 22:08
good thing about OU is that there are no younguns making stupid comments and giving stupid answers, you can get quite a good interlectual conversation

I agree with that I decided to actually attend uni as I dont have the will power to stick with home stuff, the blokes are the worst, they all sit at the back thinking they are so cool becase they are now 18 and have free movement... no parents to watch out for them....

Raistlin
09-05-2005, 22:08
Cheers for all the support guys.

I'm thinking that I might have found a use for my web space at last, I might start charting my progress through the stormy seas of stoodentdom.

Watch this space :)

Tuftus
09-05-2005, 22:15
Go for it Raist!!!

I have thought about an OU course but have never followed it through....

Go for it mate!

Raistlin
09-05-2005, 22:18
Go for it Raist!!!

I have thought about an OU course but have never followed it through....

Go for it mate!

I've been thinking about it for about 2 years now, but kept telling myself that I couldn't/shouldn't for one reason or another.

Last night I suddenly ran out of excuses, so I went to talk to my boss this morning (what a star he is BTW - just in case he's reading this and recognises my appalling spelling :) ) and he said to go for it and that he would support me :tu:

Tuftus
09-05-2005, 22:22
I've been thinking about it for about 2 years now, but kept telling myself that I couldn't/shouldn't for one reason or another.

Last night I suddenly ran out of excuses, so I went to talk to my boss this morning (what a star he is BTW - just in case he's reading this and recognises my appalling spelling :) ) and he said to go for it and that he would support me :tu:

Good for you, my boss wouldn't...

Last time I came up with something like this he had a fit because it was not sales orientated...

Boo!

greencreeper
10-05-2005, 18:41
The tutors should be well aware of the problems and extra needs of mature students who are returning to learning after a long period of, er, living life :D There may be additional help available - ask! I know my Uni used to have maths support classes for those of us who break out the Holy water at the mention of "quadratic" :Sprint:

Good luck!

allieyoung666
10-05-2005, 21:03
Go for Ou as they have summer and easter camps which helped me loads, plus your tutor is only on the end of a phone line if you are stuck, not like uni, when they never ever seem to be in and they could not give a monkies ass about you!

Raistlin
10-05-2005, 21:12
Go for Ou as they have summer and easter camps which helped me loads, plus your tutor is only on the end of a phone line if you are stuck, not like uni, when they never ever seem to be in and they could not give a monkies ass about you!

Unfortunately none of my course modules have a residential element :(