PDA

View Full Version : Paintball advice needed

Gareth
06-05-2005, 17:19
Anyone already tried their hand at Paintball? I'm going for the 1st time tomorrow, but the peeps I'm going with have all been before. I need helpful advice or else I'm gonna get 0wned! :eek:

I've done Laser Quest, and played a helluva lot of Counter Strike & Call of Duty... is that gonna save me?!?

zovat
06-05-2005, 17:24
Anyone already tried their hand at Paintball? I'm going for the 1st time tomorrow, but the peeps I'm going with have all been before. I need helpful advice or else I'm gonna get 0wned! :eek:

I've done Laser Quest, and played a helluva lot of Counter Strike & Call of Duty... is that gonna save me?!?

Best advice I can give - keep low, and move fast......
Take plenty of cash - you'll be amazed how quickly you can get through the pack of 50/100 paintballs you thought would last a whole day.

Hiding behind bushes is no good - the paintballs go through them.

I would suggest that you get some kind of "headie" (a sort of scarf come hat thing) as you are likely to get hit on the head a coupe of times (the paintball guns are not particularly accurate) and it lessens the pain a bit (as well as meaning you don't have painted hair when you go to the pub afterwards).

paulyoung666
06-05-2005, 17:24
it might do , then again it might not , i reckon you are in with a chance if you have played similar things before :erm: :D :D :D

gary_580
06-05-2005, 17:47
do you know if your going to be playing any games or is it just a free for all.

If your playing capture the flag the key to it is team work, nominate one person to capture the flag and then a sequence of deputies as the first will most likely get shot. The rest of the team should be the lookouts

Scarlett
06-05-2005, 17:56
Work as a team, otherwise you'll end up being a lot of individual targets. Oh and be prepared for the bruises...

bmxbandit
06-05-2005, 18:10
i wear chunky kneepads, so i can hit the deck super-quick without breaking bones...

other than that, i find theres two good strategies: slow and cautious, or guns blazing. which you try depends on your pain threshold :)

Tuftus
06-05-2005, 18:12
Wear loads of layers if the weather allows, this will make it less painfull if you get slotted...

Also, if you are sly, take a damp jey cloth to wipe of the paint :D

Stephen
06-05-2005, 18:15
wear lots of clothes, I played for the first time last year and OMG the pain when I got hit in the back!!

AndrewJ
06-05-2005, 18:23
Aint the rules still where once hit your out of the game and have to pay again??

I prefer Laserquest which rules.

Xaccers
06-05-2005, 18:50
Tell your mates paintball is for wusses and get yourself into airsoft :D

Or failing that, get a cricket box, some thick clothes to try and protect against the technically illegal energies involved, and just have fun running around with a bent bit of pipe trying to shoot people.

If you're playing in woodland, go to your local army surplus shop and get some DPMs (dispersal pattern material, or camoflage to most people)
Just noticed you're going tomorrow so not much time.
If you decide to get into it in a big way (although I still say airsoft is more fun, less painful, and has cheaper running costs) check out
http://www.the-outdoor.co.uk/ishop/853/shopscr378.html for camo
Or www.flecktarn.co.uk if you want something different (digital camo/MARPAT/CADPAT is really cool!)

allieyoung666
06-05-2005, 19:07
Any padding is good, trust me, the amount of paint ball injuries I have seen and recieved [this is what us nurses do for fun!!!!]. I always go hide in the dug outs and when they think it is clear I get em in the head back etc!!!!! Also run like mad, and that way you will find a good spot first and aim for the chest as that is the largest area to go for!!!

Gareth
06-05-2005, 20:13
Thanks for the advice all.... bit late to go to army surplus, so I'll have to steal my son's skateboarding protection instead

Think it's games instead of free for all... they've got an old US helicopter from the Vietnam war for one of the games - should be fun :D

allieyoung666
06-05-2005, 20:32
That is all you need, and that is all I use is my skateboard pads!!!!

Tricky
06-05-2005, 21:50
Lots of layers is the best advice (who cares if you're baking!) watch the boney areas of your body (back, hips, arms etc). Good pair of gloves (leather is ideal) but failing that ski type. you should be given a full face mask - Check it to make sure the eye protection is seated properly.

game play - if you come under fire watch the balls they'll spin left or right use this information to escape (you won't have much time), keep a note of the wind direction remembering that it'll change if you're playing in the woods

Keep low and keep moving - watch you don't get surrounding and get a right good kicking.

buy plenty of ammo, there is nothing worse than running out and then getting shot to bits...If you do run out, fire the gun anyway (some organisers frown upon this!) - I've also seen people remove the ammo hopper (holds the balls) and fire at will to scare people into running without using any ammo.

You'll love it but you'll ache the day after

Just watch out for anyone with their own guns that they brought with them, these are usually more accurate, quicker fire, more balls and more powerful (= more pain!) than the ones you'll be given to use

bob_a_builder
06-05-2005, 22:13
take some washing up liquid (or any other approved demisting material) to smear on the inside of the face mask, other wise it'll steam up (if you intend to do any breathing that is) and you'll not see a damn thing