PDA

View Full Version : Wireless setup randomly dropping

dalboy
06-05-2005, 10:15
Hi guys I havent posted much on here but read through a lot of the posts for help and the latest views / news.

I have a question which I have searched for on here but couldnt find anything exactly the same. (maybe im not lookin hard enough)

Anyway, I have 2 pcs in the house. the one downstairs has the cable modem attached via usb and internet connection is pretty much perfect. never drops etc... I also have a wireless card in this pc and a wireless card in my upstairs pc. I have set up the connectivity fine and can surf the net from upstairs ok. but now and again the bottom right hand flashing computers stop, then about 10 seconds later my wireless icon signal strength vanishes, then i get the message saying the connection has been disconnected / not connected. it seems to happen randomly. For me to get the upstairs connection back i have to disable then re-enable the wireless connection from downstairs, then disable and re-enable the one upstairs.

Anyone got any ideas why or solutions. firewalls are disable, antivirus and spyware etc.. disabled or not conflicting, and they are only about 15 metres apart.

Thanks guys

Aragorn
06-05-2005, 10:54
The most common cause of wireless signal problems is interference - other stuff using the 2.4Ghz band, the microwave being the obvious.

Most wireless cards will allow you to change the channel, so try setting it to something like channel 1 or 10.

Alternatively, invest in a wireless router. They tend to be more robust than ad-hoc connections and you won't have to leave to downstairs PC on while you use the upstairs one.

HTH

altis
06-05-2005, 11:01
As you have found out, wireless connections are not always reliable.

What type of wireless connection do you have?

I suggest you try to find the signal strength and quality of the wireless connection when the computers are connected. In my experience, both need to be over 50% for a reliable connection.

Because most wireless network connections work at a high frequency, they are very susceptible to the position of the aerials and objects around them - even people. Brick walls will cause a lot of attenuation. Try moving the aerials about or, if they are removable, you could try using a magmount to move it away from your PC. You could also try another aerial with more gain.

dalboy
06-05-2005, 11:10
thanks for the replies. signal strength, the majority of the time says good or excellent. the signal bar in the corner is pretty much always right up i.e. good connection.

How do you setup a wireless router briefly? seems like i might try that if channel changing does not have any effect

Aragorn
06-05-2005, 11:53
How do you setup a wireless router briefly?

Plug it in ! Most wireless routers will work 'out of the box'. However, they are insecure at defaults, so you should read the 'Wireless Security' thread in this forum and set some security.

gary_580
06-05-2005, 13:07
What sort of wireless cards are they?

I had the same problems with a Linksys card. Nothing i did on the router ever seemed to make a difference. Eventually i hard wired it.

dalboy
06-05-2005, 13:15
they are netgear cards. ive just been told i cant use a wireless router cos im using NTL cable modem?

Stuart
06-05-2005, 13:18
they are netgear cards. ive just been told i cant use a wireless router cos im using NTL cable modem?

Wrong. You can.

zoombini
06-05-2005, 14:18
As long as it's a wireless router that is cable compatable and NOT an ADSL modem/router :D

Lew
06-05-2005, 15:38

No wonder your problem sounded familiar. I had the same problem with Netgear wireless cards until a colleague told me to ditch them and get something better. I got a 3Com adapter and now the problem is gone.

dalboy
06-05-2005, 15:40
sorry what do you mean an adapter? 2 new cards that are 3com and not netgear?

Lew
06-05-2005, 16:38
Yes, sorry. I replaced my Netgear USB wireless cards with 3Com USB wireless cards.

bertJ
07-05-2005, 18:22
As a related follow up to this topic. I can use my laptop with wireless connection (PCI Card) to the PC upstairs anywhere in the house except the kitchen. The signal strength using a Linksys WRT54G router into a ntl cable modem is excellent everywhere else. The kitchen is not the furthest place away from the router so I can only assume that fridges, freezers, pots and pans and lots of metal objects must affect the signal.
I've tried changing the frequencies but there was no difference.

Raistlin
07-05-2005, 21:46
bert,

You're probably spot on about the interference.

Microwaves, the motors in fridges and freezers, large amounts of metal (pots, pans etc), will all contrive to scatter/distort the signal.

But you know what they say, if you can't stand the interference stay out of the kitchen......

(Which reminds me: If you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen, if you still can't stand the heat your house is on fire :) )

reeves006
09-05-2005, 01:29
I am also using the linksys bb router - i must say it runs like a dream - far better than i ever thought it would. In the kitchen it works fine no problem!;)

Mauldor
09-05-2005, 04:39
Now aint that wierd - Bluetooth also has a Major problem in my Kitchen (see my other thread on this) - I blame the Fridge to be honest though Wireless works fine - wierd..

dalboy
09-05-2005, 09:47
well i set up my wireless connection slightly different. changing auto assign ip, windows auto detect etc... (dont ask why i didnt have it set up like this in the first place). Now network connection doesnt seem to drop and obviously using same network cards and NTL connection.
Thanks for your help guys!

dalboy
13-05-2005, 09:42
OK guys im still gettin the prob!! See before i re-installed the other pc with the NTL connection and wireless card, connection was 80% of the time ok. Now the connection is the same and signal strength and they are in exactly the same spot they were in, but after about 30seconds the upstairs connection disconnects, then reconnects. obviously in between this time there is no connectivity. its a strange one as my setup is all exactly the same.

I guess I have no other option but to get different brand of wireless cards? They seemed to be ok previously....