PDA

View Full Version : Car: Seat Alhambra - Any Advice

skyblueheroes
04-05-2005, 20:40
Okay, might be looking at an Alhambra for my next car.

One I have seen is 2001 Y Reg 1.8T S 20v.
Manual
Petrol
7 seats
ABS
EPC
FSH
Air con
Leccy mirrors and windows
Power steering
Roof rails
alarm
immobiliser
40,550 miles
2 owners
HPI checked
Serviced - 4th year I assume
MOT = 12 months

Anyone had one ? Any advice ?

I have tried looking for service info online, but not found anything - as in what needs doing at 4th year service etc.

Also, garage do upgrades to 1 and 2 yr warranties for £199 and £299. I keep hearing that some things are not covered - anyone had any good or bad experiences of these additional warranties ?

paulyoung666
04-05-2005, 20:43
as seat is basically a vw then i cant see you going far wrong :tu:

skyblueheroes
04-05-2005, 20:44
as seat is basically a vw then i cant see you going far wrong :tu:

Thats what I thought. Plus cheaper servicing allegedly.

budwieser
04-05-2005, 21:13
Okay, might be looking at an Alhambra for my next car.

One I have seen is 2001 Y Reg 1.8T S 20v.
Manual
Petrol
7 seats
ABS
EPC
FSH
Air con
Leccy mirrors and windows
Power steering
Roof rails
alarm
immobiliser
40,550 miles
2 owners
HPI checked
Serviced - 4th year I assume
MOT = 12 months

Anyone had one ? Any advice ?

I have tried looking for service info online, but not found anything - as in what needs doing at 4th year service etc.

Also, garage do upgrades to 1 and 2 yr warranties for £199 and £299. I keep hearing that some things are not covered - anyone had any good or bad experiences of these additional warranties ?

Do yourself a big favour and get an HPI check done and also an AA check before you buy as these will let you know if the car has been an insurance write off or had any previous damage.

Edit: Oooops didn`t see the hpi bit, Dumbass:dunce: :dunce: but it`s still wise to get an AA or RAC check done.

SMHarman
04-05-2005, 23:33
AA/RAC usually include elements of the HPI check.
I spent a week driving around a 54 plate galaxy 7 up. That was a 2.3 petrol, they are nice to drive.

The top gear site gives some good info on what to look out for.

budwieser
05-05-2005, 00:02
I`ve not known an Rac/AA inspector do an HPI check?

SMHarman
05-05-2005, 09:44
You're right - it's just they advertise the check and the HPI on the same page of the website.

MovedGoalPosts
05-05-2005, 09:54
Have a look at the power of the engine. I don't know what you want to use the MPV for, but ask yourself if it would be thrashing itslef to death when the vehicle is fully loaded.

IMO a diesel in an MPV of that size is a much better option, simply as the diesel has a lot more torque to get a heavy load on the move. I have an older Diesel espace regularly loaded with 4 adults and all their dive kit (cylinders and weights alone per diver amount to 40kg), and that copes well. I doubt the petrol would have had the pulling power.

As for warranties, they are like any insurance policy. They do tie you into servicing with a dealer, rather than the often as good but cheaper back street guys. Many "consumables" are not covered. You need to read the small print to decide whether it's going to cover you for the real expensive risks.

If you are even considering an extended warranty, it sounds like you are buying from a dealer. A quick phone call to the salesman should tell you everything you need to know about servicing requirements.

AndrewJ
05-05-2005, 16:36
That is true

Have a look at the power of the engine. I don't know what you want to use the MPV for, but ask yourself if it would be thrashing itslef to death when the vehicle is fully loaded.

Although the

1.8T S 20v

engine though is a turbocharged VW 1.8 20v as used in the Passat, and Skoda Superb.

I doubt it will be lacking as for those heavy starts like most new cars they have variable ignition which the engine adapts its firing of the cylinders to permit lower revving of the engine.

Should be a nice enough car just do not expect rapid movement in any way shape or form.

I agree with a full AA check though mainly for mechincal I do not trust any garage which says 29000 point check even, as it has been shown too many times on tv that this is simply not the case and its in out make promises do not fill them.

A full AA check is worth the cost and if the garage ( dealer etc ) is agaisnt this then they are hiding something :)

orangebird
05-05-2005, 16:56
That is true

Although the

engine though is a turbocharged VW 1.8 20v as used in the Passat, and Skoda Superb.

I doubt it will be lacking as for those heavy starts like most new cars they have variable ignition which the engine adapts its firing of the cylinders to permit lower revving of the engine.

Should be a nice enough car just do not expect rapid movement in any way shape or form.

<snip>

Yes, but Skoda superb and passat are quite a bit smaller and lighter than an alhambra. A people carrier that size on a 1.8 u/leaded turbo is going to be mighty thirsty. I'd go for a diesel engine every time.

SMHarman
05-05-2005, 17:07
The 1.8T is the Golf GTi engine of choice these days, I doubt it is underpowered, I imagine the light turbo boost will make it a fantastic engine for the vehicle. 150 Bhp and 174lb torque are plenty adequate.

The Ford 2.3i auto can cruise hapily at around 100 (but not in this country :erm: ), just takes a little longer than say the Golf GTi would to get there.

paulyoung666
05-05-2005, 17:28
Yes, but Skoda superb and passat are quite a bit smaller and lighter than an alhambra. A people carrier that size on a 1.8 u/leaded turbo is going to be mighty thirsty. I'd go for a diesel engine every time.

skoda superb 1501 kilo / 3309 lbs

vw passat 1406 kilo / 3095 lbs

seat alhambra 1808 kilo / 3616 lbs

ball park figures , if you can pick up a diesel all well and good , just got to remember that although mpg will be better , the initial cost will be higher , the running cost will be higher ( servicing ) and the price of fuel will be higher , whether you will win out in the long run is a moot point :( :D :D :D

Chimaera
05-05-2005, 19:25
Look on www.honestjohn.co.uk - they list everything on there, it's impartial advice and goes into a lot of detail. I've used it quite a few times myself!

skyblueheroes
06-05-2005, 00:28
Ta all !

Escapee
08-05-2005, 13:44
I dont know if anyone else has mentioned but Seat dealers dont seem to generally have a very good reputation. I work with a guy who bought a Seat last year, it was a toss up between that and a Peugeot from the garage next door to us. He went for the Seat and on top of the dealer being useless he has to travel a fair distance to get to them.

He also said the local VW garage would undertake servicing, but would not undertake any major servicing.

I guess convenience is why I have bought a Peugeot, not my first choice by a long way but very convenient with a main dealer next door to my place of work.