PDA

View Full Version : Ecom 7 Electric Supply

Mike
03-05-2005, 19:25
Hi all

If a house has Economy 7 Electric Supply why could it not work ????

Part of the house is normal domestic supply and that works ok but down stairs heating and hot water which I believe is Econ 7 does not. Does a person just receive one bill....................can one part of the supply (domestic) work and the econ 7 does not

Any ideas

Thanks

Mike

STONEISLAND
03-05-2005, 19:27
Eco 7 works at 12pm

If you look at the meter there should be to rates a low and a high. Take a read of both and that will tell you weather it works or not.

Paul
03-05-2005, 19:35
It makes no difference to the actual supply, all that changes is which meter is used.

Raistlin
03-05-2005, 19:36
You know something weird?

I was just about to post a question about Economy 7 myself.....

My hot water is no longer getting hot.

I've got two elements in the tank, one is the Economy 7 (supposed to heat the water after midnight) the other is an off peak one that I turn on and off at will.

The off peak one works fine, but if I just have the Economy 7 one on I don't get any hot water.

I've recently turned off the storage heaters (which also work on Economy 7) using the switches beside them on the wall. Could this have stopped the water heating or is it more likely that the element in the tank has packed up?

Paul
03-05-2005, 19:42
The most like thing is the element has bust - are you confident enought with electricity to test it ?

Mike
03-05-2005, 19:51
The most like thing is the element has bust - are you confident enought with electricity to test it ?

Is that a wet finger test !!!.

A friend said one of the elements had gone on the domestic side and is going to replace that so at least there will be hotwater it was just the econ 7 side I wanted to get my head around and understand

Thanks

Raistlin
03-05-2005, 19:55

Fairly confident, just haven't got any tools.

Not my problem though, I'll let the landlord worry about it.

Thanks

Charlie_Bubble
03-05-2005, 19:57
Hi all

If a house has Economy 7 Electric Supply why could it not work ????

Part of the house is normal domestic supply and that works ok but down stairs heating and hot water which I believe is Econ 7 does not. Does a person just receive one bill....................can one part of the supply (domestic) work and the econ 7 does not

Any ideas

Thanks

Mike

Check your meter. It might be broken. I had this problem and it was the meter in the end.

gary_580
03-05-2005, 20:25
i'd be very suprised if you have a normal domestic meter and an economy 7 meter.

An economy 7 meter just has two readings one runs for 17 hours and the other 7 hours kicking in sometime in the night. However its all the same output normally

greencreeper
03-05-2005, 22:14
Hot water tanks (if they're the tall ones) will have two heating elements. At my last flat, each element had a temperature control setting - had to take the cover off the element and adjust it with a screwdriver. Saves money in summer when you don't need the water quite so hot. There should be an override switch so you can heat water during the day, if you run out. Each element, for safety, should have a switch to turn it off. If you think an element has gone, wait until the water is heating and turn one of the switches off. Listen to the boiler - it will sound like a kettle. No noise = dodgy element.

You should have one meter with two readings - one high, one low. At either midnight or one am (depending on BST) it will switch over and any appliances connected to the economy seven circuit will come on. Switching off heaters won't affect the hot water boiler, and vice versa. At my last flat, the economy seven appliances were on a seperate consumer unit (fuse board).

zoombini
03-05-2005, 22:14
If you don't use the E7 & use the normal meter just remember that the normal meter costs more than normal.

And there can be 2 meters, my parents had it installed many years ago & it had 2 meters then, it might just be an old installation.

greencreeper
03-05-2005, 22:16
If you don't use the E7 & use the normal meter just remember that the normal meter costs more than normal.
:erm: The rates for economy seven are different to the rates for standard supply of electricity, yes. Same as token meters cost more than normal meters.

Not sure about two meters. There might be a "thing" that looks like a meter but isn't. Never worked out what it does but it has something to do with controlling the meter methinks.