PDA

View Full Version : NTL + Router?

Ansette
03-05-2005, 19:19
Hey, I currently run a home network with a few computers, previously the cable modem was plugged into one comp and then connected to a switch to share internet access.

I've now purchased a Sitecom router and have connected the modem to the router and that subsequently to the switch... i'm able to access the configurtation page but I can't access the internet so I'[,m presuming it's not a prob with the router (or perhaps it may be a problem with the settings given...) Either way is there something I need to know about NTL broadband e/g. special settings when connecting it to a router...?

Raistlin
03-05-2005, 19:22
Turn the modem, router and PC off.

Turn the modem on and wait for lights to settle.
Turn the Router on and wait for lights to settle.
Turn the PC on - should be working fine now.

Oh, and you might not need the switch in there now.....

Apologies :D

:welcome: to CF

Ansette
03-05-2005, 19:23
Well I presume I need the switch... the router is a very basic one and does not have a built in hub.. tried the sitecom version with that previously but got so annoyed that i cudnt access internet that i returned it lol...

i've had to connect the modem to my laptop via usb to get on here so will try again!

Raistlin
03-05-2005, 19:27
Ahhhh.

Hang on a moment.....

What's the model number for the router?

Ansette
03-05-2005, 19:28
DC-200... previous one i tried was 201 (one with built in hub)... im sensing some bad news...

Raistlin
03-05-2005, 19:33
So is that a USB model then? Can't find it on the net (maybe I'm not looking hard enough :) ) where did you get it from?

Ansette
03-05-2005, 19:35
oh no sorry i meant ive connected my NTL modem to my laptop using the USB connection for the moment... (my laptop is not the standard computer for the internet connection but it's the most powerful etc)

Raistlin
03-05-2005, 19:38
Ok, where did you get the router from? That might help to track down the spec and just make sure I'm not going to lead you up the garden path.

Ansette
03-05-2005, 19:41
ermmm it was just purchased from local computer shop. it is the sitecom dc-200 (it's on their website... www.sitecom.com) any other info needed?

Raistlin
03-05-2005, 19:45
Ok, I think I must be losing it 'cause I can't find that model on the site.

Try rebooting everything like I suggested above and see how you get on.

You may need to reboot the modem again if you need to reconnect via USB though.

Ansette
03-05-2005, 19:46
funnily enuff it's under like data connectivity or something... not networking! strange...

JohnHorb
03-05-2005, 19:51
Raist - it's under 'support', product group 'data communications', and there's a downloadable manual there. [Edit] Ansette beat me to it!

Ansette - check WAN settings are set to 'direct connection', and 'Dynamic IP address', then try Raistlin's suggestion. The football has just started, but I'll check back later to see how you're getting on.

Raistlin
03-05-2005, 20:05
Ok, just downloaded the manual.

The bad news is that it looks like you may have been better off with the 201 (that has more LAN ports so you could have dispensed with the switch).

try rebooting as suggested above and see how you get on.

Thanks for that John.

Ansette - you should also check the the modem lead is in the first port (from left to right) and that the lead to the switch is in the second one on the router.

Oh yeah, and I don't care about the footy ;)

Do need to go and do some food shopping in Tesco soon though :(

Ok, I gotta go to Tesco now - check back in when I get back though.

JohnHorb
03-05-2005, 20:15
Another thing to check, the router will now be acting as a DHCP server allocating IP addresses to your PCs. The PCs should be set to 'obtain IP address automatically' and 'obtain DNS server address automatically'. They may have been set to use static addresses for the previous config?

Raistlin
03-05-2005, 21:28
Hmmm.....

No response for over an hour, that can't be a good sign.....

JohnHorb
03-05-2005, 21:30
;) Maybe watching the footy

Raistlin
03-05-2005, 21:34
Maybe, or maybe watching the thread :) Name's at the bottom anyhow :)

Ansette
03-05-2005, 23:09
lol to be honest i was actually distracted away from t'internet lol... but amazingly... im currently sitting away from the router on my laptop as lo and behold turning the modem off appears to have given a gateway... wow... so simple and yet it's taken 2months for it to work... thanks so much for all your help... even if im actually embaressed by how simple the solution was... lol

ps i dont believe i was actually reading the thread... was still online though... communicating via MSN Messenger lol... :erm:

Raistlin
03-05-2005, 23:12
Glad you got it sorted.

What happens is that the modem reports the identity of the machine connected to it to NTL's network.

From that point on it assumes that only that machine will be connected.

When you connected the router it got all confused as the router's identity didn't match your computer's.

Rebooting the modem clears the table that contains your computer's identity, letting it settle and then turning the router on will allow it to register the router as the device that it is now connected to.

After that your router just tales care of everything else.

Like I said, glad it's all sorted. Hope to see you around here a bit more.

Raist.

lauzjp
19-06-2006, 12:38
My other half got a laptop from work, it is old, but we wanted to connect it to the net as well as our pc, so he bought a sitecom dc-200 (v5) router. Presently, the pc accepts it, but the laptop dies and tries to re-load. It says something about not enough ____ to perform the operation, or something. Does this mean we need to add more memory to the laptop, or what? Please help, I'm asking on here cos my other half gets all stroppy when I make suggestions or ask questions.

Chris W
19-06-2006, 13:05
when you say the laptop is old... how old? which version of windows? which processor? how much RAM?

presumably you are going from the router to laptop via ethernet?

lauzjp
19-06-2006, 13:21
hello one of the wise ones! it is an ibm thinkpad 600e 2645, we have xp on the laptop and the pc. it has a pentium 2 processor and I'm really not sure how much RAM - the basic that came with it originally methinks.. and yes, going from the router to laptop via ethernet.

Chris W
19-06-2006, 13:30
i see. when exactly does the error message occur? is it when you connect the ethernet cable in, or the first time that you try to open internet explorer or at some other time?

lauzjp
19-06-2006, 21:17
heehee - the stroppy one :dunce: did as he was told and read through links i'd left for him, and lo it seems the set up is now working - hurrah! thanks for being there though. oh and apparently the battery being dead (while using the ac adaptor) causes the laptop to die as mentioned in previous post. how weird is that... :confused: