PDA

View Full Version : bit torrent , ntl home router

AsianMan
03-05-2005, 18:38
i am trying to download using ntl home siliver , theres plenty of seeders and it downloads at like 10kb a second and average 7 , uploads at 20-30kb a second

im on 2mb connection and i have norton 2004 firewall which is fine.

anyone got any solutions:(

downquark1
03-05-2005, 18:41
Got the green light? How many seeds and peers are you connected to?
What client?

You need to limit you upload to 20 at max.

AsianMan
03-05-2005, 18:43
well theres 137 seeders , i see a green light , i use bittorendo and 270 peers

Raistlin
03-05-2005, 18:48
When you say "NTL Home Silver" is that the router or do you mean the Cable Modem?

If you're getting a green Health symbol on the torrent then you haven't got a connection problem. It may just be that there isn't anybody sharing a complete copy of the file with you and that's why you're getting poor upload speeds.

Bittorrent is a bit hit and miss I'm afraid.

AsianMan
03-05-2005, 18:50
yeah i meant to say cable modem , i have checked theres about 9 people who are 100% and most others 70 , 80 . my friend has bt , and he downlading same thing and he gets something like 60kb a secnd apparently

Raistlin
03-05-2005, 18:53
Ok, so (in bittornado) is there an icon/traffic light indicator that tells you the health of the torrent (should be red, amber, or green in colour)?

AsianMan
03-05-2005, 18:54
yes its green

Raistlin
03-05-2005, 18:59
Right then.....

That rules out any possible connection problem.

Can you check a couple of things (I'm not familiar with bittornado, sorry).

Can you have a look and see if there is an option to limit your upload speed? If there is then this should be set to about 20k.

Can you also check to see if there is an option regarding something called "Super Seeding"? If there is then you need to make sure this is turned off.

Also, please see if there is an option to specify a port range to be used (this will normall default to something around 6881). If there is please would you post back which port you are using.

Finally, please confirm that you aren't running anything else that might be uploading/downloading a large amount of info. Also, are you running any firewalls at all?

AsianMan
03-05-2005, 19:06
yes max is 20kb , port is defulted to that , firewall is n2004 , port is allowed by firewall , i was reading on a site that it has something do with the ntl modem blocking a certain port which makes bit torrent faster?:sleep:

Raistlin
03-05-2005, 19:10
Ok, before we go down this route again (trust me, this discussion has been done to death.....).....

NTL don't block port 6881.... They block very few ports and none of them are connected to any bit torrent / P2P programs. There, that's that said..... :D

But, you may find you get better speeds by specifying a port somewhere on the high 49000's (something like 49878 for example).

Remember that if you change this port you will need to allow the new port access through your firewall in the same way that port 6881 is at the moment.

I don't think you will see much improvement though (although it is certainly worth a try).

Sometimes torrents just go like this, when they do there's not a lot more that you can do about it.

It also often depends on how long the torrent has been running for, the longer you are connected to it the better chance you have of establishing a connection with someone who is uploading at a decent speed.

Try the port change above if you feel like it, but this may be something that you just have to live with on this torrent - sorry :(

Oh, you're not downloading any other torrents at the moment are you?

Gareth
03-05-2005, 19:15
Not sure if NTL really do this, but there's always rumours of ISPs blocking the default port that Bit Torrent uses... which as Raistlin correctly says is in the range 6881-6889. When I use Bit Torrent, I select anything from 49152 through 65535.

edit: d'oh, I should read last replies before posting... nicely put Raist.

jellybaby
03-05-2005, 19:16
if you click on advanced you will see a breakdown of what what people are speed downloading and uploading at

Raistlin
03-05-2005, 19:18
On a slightly different (off topic) note, how's the Standing Order these days? Still doing good beer? :D

AsianMan
03-05-2005, 19:21
lol i changed the port thing and the download imrpvoed to 40kb a second but thats still slow no? nvm i guess i am happy to be a faster then 10kb :) anyway cya ima watching football CHESLSEA V LIVERPOOL CHAMPIONSLEAGUE

ikthius
03-05-2005, 22:58
also with torrents, you need to help the community, seed when you have the full thing you are after, until you have seeded at least one, then you will become faster.

if you seed well, then you download better.

ik