PDA

View Full Version : KFC Treatment of Chickens

Macca371
02-05-2005, 15:06
I have just watched this video online about how chickens are treated at KFC before they are slaughtered.

http://www.petatv.com/tvpopup/Prefs.asp?video=pam_kfc_long

:afire: Appalling :(

Paul
02-05-2005, 15:21
KFC raise their own chickens ?

Kliro
02-05-2005, 15:25
Would make sense, they use so many its probably the cheapest way...

Monster Jedi
02-05-2005, 15:38
But do they have any places {Factorys} in the UK???

paulyoung666
02-05-2005, 17:03
regardless , how is this any different to any other 'battery' farmed chicken , or am i missing the point here :erm:

kronas
02-05-2005, 17:06
i think the problem here is that the public expect anything that is there to be consumed by humans to be treated appropriately....but it does not happen like that, if some humans dont know how to treat each other properly then how are they going to treat animals!

must be a position of power or something.

Xaccers
02-05-2005, 17:13
Actually those chickens have a luxurious life compared to battery hens!
Look, they can move around which is more than battery hens can do!
Concious when their throats are cut? Well, somehow I don't think they make bolt guns small enough to use on chickens like they do on cattle (btw bolt guns have been shown to be more distressing to animals than simply slitting their throats).

punky
02-05-2005, 17:28
With Halal, animals are killed by having their throats cut. I am guessing I won't hear any wanting to ban that.

BTW, I point blank refuse to have anything to do with PETA, including watching their propaganda.

Xaccers
02-05-2005, 17:43
With Halal, animals are killed by having their throats cut. I am guessing I won't hear any wanting to ban that.

BTW, I point blank refuse to have anything to do with PETA, including watching their propaganda.

We had a discusion about halal about a year ago I think, and it arose that animals experience less stress from that than having a bolt blasted into their brain which takes longer to kill them.

AndrewJ
02-05-2005, 20:22
I still think its dissapointing from KFC and I know myself and my girlfriend shall stop eating there now.

allieyoung666
02-05-2005, 20:42
I felt a bit sick and we do not do fast food as it is so bad for you, but it is an interesting insight

etccarmageddon
02-05-2005, 20:53
KFC raise their own chickens ?

yes

Paul
02-05-2005, 21:00
I still think its dissapointing from KFC and I know myself and my girlfriend shall stop eating there now.If I worried about how every piece of food I eat is processed or treated etc, I don't think there would be much left for me to eat. :erm:

allieyoung666
02-05-2005, 21:03
true, true, you would not eat if you knew the truth

etccarmageddon
02-05-2005, 21:03
But do they have any places {Factorys} in the UK???

as far as I know, yes to this question also.

Xaccers
02-05-2005, 23:44
tsk if you guys knew what went on where McDonalds and Tescos salad is produced, and how animals are treated and killed before we eat them, then most of you would starve :D

danielf
02-05-2005, 23:54
tsk if you guys knew what went on where McDonalds and Tescos salad is produced, and how animals are treated and killed before we eat them, then most of you would starve :D

Sad, But true :(

Paul
03-05-2005, 00:04
The eating of salad (or 'rabbit food' as it's known round here) is never going to be a problem I have to care about. ;)

Halcyon
03-05-2005, 00:13
I wouldnt touch most of these local kebab shops we have down the road or most of the fast food stores.
Basically for two reasons:

- The places they get their raw ingredients from.

- The amount of artificial flavourings and rubbish they stick in them.

zoombini
03-05-2005, 00:31
me not reading thread, me like KFC, me not watching link...
then me still like kfc.

me watch link, me not like kfc, so me wont watch it :D

Graham
03-05-2005, 00:35
I point blank refuse to have anything to do with PETA, including watching their propaganda.

Good for you!

What most people don't realise is that the real aim of PETA is actually to turn us all vegetarian and they will use any tactics to do that.

A couple of years ago they launched a "proxy attack" on the beef industry by trying to stop people buying leather and thus trying to make it uneconomical to farm cattle since the farmers would be unable to make money from the skins :mad:

Raistlin
03-05-2005, 00:41
I just find it ironic that they've chosen to use Pamela Anderson for this message.

Pop Quiz Time:

Q: What is the link between KFC and Pamela Anderson (Note. any person making crude remarks about buckets will be told off quite harshly ;) )?

Gareth
03-05-2005, 00:42
I've been on a tour around the factory where a certain fruit juice (and I use that term in its loosest possible sense) is produced... S**** D******* if you're wondering.

I've never seen so many chemicals be poured into a vat to make one drink in all my life. The guys whose job was to mix it up were wearing full-on protective suits in case it spilt on them, and had a chain just above their head in case they needed to get an instant shower to wash it away. It was very scary stuff!

It's nowhere near as healthy for your kids as the adverts try to suggest - I've not touched it since.

I've also been around the NestlÃÃâ€*’© factory in Tutbury, where NescafÃÃâ€*’© is produced. Nothing too shocking to report on that one. The Kraft Suchard / Terry's chocolate factory in York, however, was exemplary - everything was spotless. I'd have gladly eaten anything I saw when I was visiting that site ...just a shame they wouldn't let me.

paulyoung666
03-05-2005, 08:51
Good for you!

What most people don't realise is that the real aim of PETA is actually to turn us all vegetarian and they will use any tactics to do that.

A couple of years ago they launched a "proxy attack" on the beef industry by trying to stop people buying leather and thus trying to make it uneconomical to farm cattle since the farmers would be unable to make money from the skins :mad:

agreed , bunch of ****ers in my opinion :mad: :mad: :mad:

allieyoung666
03-05-2005, 10:09
I have to agree with Paul, my twin is a veggie and she does not look healthy at all and she has loads of health problems as well.

Electrolyte01
03-05-2005, 10:13
bunch of ****ers in my opinion :mad: :mad: :mad:Do I hear Ramrod's usual insult from TeamSpeak there? :D

I hardly ever eat any fast foods, I have a fast food like once in every 6 months if not longer.

I won't watch the video as I don't see the point, I never eat KFC :disturbd:

allieyoung666
03-05-2005, 10:16
I used to take the boys when they were little as for sheer convience, but now I enjoy making them proper meals as fast food does not fill them up.

orangebird
03-05-2005, 10:22
I have to agree with Paul, my twin is a veggie and she does not look healthy at all and she has loads of health problems as well.

I was vegetarian for five years, and was never ill. Being veggie will have nothing to do with her poor health, unless she just eats lettuce all day. :shrug:

paulyoung666
03-05-2005, 10:30
I was vegetarian for five years, and was never ill. Being veggie will have nothing to do with her poor health, unless she just eats lettuce all day. :shrug:

nails on heads time ;)

orangebird
03-05-2005, 10:35
It's so easy. As long as you get enough protein (which is plentiful in all soya products, lots of dairy products etc), you should feel no ill effects by becoming veggie. If you're daft enough or not responsible enough to make sure you have a good balanced (meat & fish free) diet, and do a little research to find out how you can become veggie without losing out on vital nutrition, then all I can say is :dunce:

allieyoung666
03-05-2005, 10:40
she has colitis, takes all the essential nutrients that she requires, but never looks well. She lives in Leeds, so I do not see her all the time, but when we do and even Paul will back me up on this one she looks bad and I mean bad and we are all concerned about her. I do not eat a lot of red meat and I love my fish, I have tried to be a veggie but I could not do it.

Stuart
03-05-2005, 10:43
I've been on a tour around the factory where a certain fruit juice (and I use that term in its loosest possible sense) is produced... S**** D******* if you're wondering.

I've never seen so many chemicals be poured into a vat to make one drink in all my life. The guys whose job was to mix it up were wearing full-on protective suits in case it spilt on them, and had a chain just above their head in case they needed to get an instant shower to wash it away. It was very scary stuff!

It's nowhere near as healthy for your kids as the adverts try to suggest - I've not touched it since.

Actually I was put off that particular soft drink (I refuse to call it a fruit juice as it contains almost no fruit) when I read the ingrediants..

The other thing that put me off was my friend poured his on the grass in our local park and it sat there, on top of the grass, for over 20 minutes.

orangebird
03-05-2005, 10:45
Actually I was put off that particular soft drink (I refuse to call it a fruit juice as it contains almost no fruit) when I read the ingrediants..

The other thing that put me off was my friend poured his on the grass in our local park and it sat there, on top of the grass, for over 20 minutes.

It has so many preservatives in it that it doesn't need to be refrigerated... :erm:

she has colitis, takes all the essential nutrients that she requires, but never looks well. She lives in Leeds, so I do not see her all the time, but when we do and even Paul will back me up on this one she looks bad and I mean bad and we are all concerned about her. I do not eat a lot of red meat and I love my fish, I have tried to be a veggie but I could not do it.

So her being unwell has nothing to do with being veggie then...

Stuart
03-05-2005, 10:54

:notopic: This looks like a good site for Colitis sufferers... http://www.colitisfoundation.com/

It's so easy. As long as you get enough protein (which is plentiful in all soya products, lots of dairy products etc), you should feel no ill effects by becoming veggie. If you're daft enough or not responsible enough to make sure you have a good balanced (meat & fish free) diet, and do a little research to find out how you can become veggie without losing out on vital nutrition, then all I can say is :dunce:

All true. My sister hasn't eaten meat for 27 years and is generally healthy.

SMHarman
03-05-2005, 11:01
I have to agree with Paul, my twin is a veggie and she does not look healthy at all and she has loads of health problems as well.My personal trainer is a veggie but knows how to eat properly so has no problems, she did say it is very hard eat properly and do marathon training though due to the calories you need.

I hardly ever eat any fast foods, I have a fast food like once in every 6 months if not longer.
The guy who did 'go large' or whatever that film was where he ate mc'd for a month found called about 50 dieticians at one point in the film asking them how often you should eat the stuff, the answer was between never and once a month, certainly not the 2-3 times a week as part of a balanced diet.

Mc'd France apparantly contradicted the company line a few years back by saying you should eat it no more than once a week.

allieyoung666
03-05-2005, 11:11
look she has been a veggie for 17yrs, she goes to the Gym, swims, and does everything healthy. She eats myco protien and all that garb and swears by rice, pasta etc. She has had colitis for 12yrs, she manages that pretty good as they have given her all the stuff she needs such as gas filled ememas when she feels bunged up. she does Alternative therapies and all that sort of stuff. She used to weigh about 12 stones, she now weighs 8.5 stones. Her farts are terrible like rotten cabbage, and you cannot go in the loo after her for at least 10 minutes that is how bad the smell is. Carnt you see why I am worried about her, she does golf and has lessons and has a private trainer, so she is not overdoing it, but it scares the hell out of me. She will come home and eat everyone out of house and home and then when you go to hers she does not have anything in. I go to Morrisons and stock up her husband is not all that bothered, all he wants is a trophy wife and he has got one. That is why I will never go veggie. Paul loves me the way I am and that is all I need in this life, sure I am on a diet and I walk my kids to and from school and then do about 4miles when I am at work and then they ask me what exercise do I do!
I do not drink fizzy pop as it gives me a headache. and I have a dairy allergy so I steer clear of things that have hidden ingredients such as KFC

My personal trainer is a veggie but knows how to eat properly so has no problems, she did say it is very hard eat properly and do marathon training though due to the calories you need.

The guy who did 'go large' or whatever that film was where he ate mc'd for a month found called about 50 dieticians at one point in the film asking them how often you should eat the stuff, the answer was between never and once a month, certainly not the 2-3 times a week as part of a balanced diet.

Mc'd France apparantly contradicted the company line a few years back by saying you should eat it no more than once a week.
and did you know the salads arnt that healthy.

ikthius
03-05-2005, 11:26
as Maddox says....

for every animal you don't eat, I will eat 3.

ik

Stuart
03-05-2005, 11:26
Allie calm down. All we are doing is pointing out you can be perfectly healthy on a veggie diet. No one is trying to suggest you go veggie. Hell, I eat meat, so it would be hypocritical of me to suggest anyone give up meat.

The reason exercise came up in this thread is that if a person does a lot of exercise (such as SMHarman's example of Marathon running), they they need to watch their diet to ensure they get the correct balance of nutrients. This applies to *anyone* doing heavy exercise, not just veggies.

I suggested the site because it appears to have some good advice on how to manage the symptoms. It also lists treatments that have worked for other people. Apart from anything else, it is good for a person with a condition like this to know they are not the only person in the world with it (that actually comes from a friend of mine who suffers meniere's disease, but the principle still applies).

I posted that link because I thought it might help.

allieyoung666
03-05-2005, 11:31
who said I was getting angry, I was merely telling you how fit she is, it is just a pitty she looks rubbish. She has had it for along time now and has been at deaths door twice. Dont worry I have no intention of becomming a veggie. I do exercise and I am as fit as a fiddle, it is called work.

Stuart
03-05-2005, 11:41
who said I was getting angry, I was merely telling you how fit she is, it is just a pitty she looks rubbish. She has had it for along time now and has been at deaths door twice.
My sister has been a veggie for 27 years, and has no trouble attracting blokes. Reading through that site, it seems that diet MAY be a contributing factor to Collitis, but then so are other things, such as stress.

Dont worry I have no intention of becomming a veggie. I do exercise and I am as fit as a fiddle, it is called work.

What's that got to do with anything? You said that her condition was why you would never go veggie. I (and others) have been trying to make the point that the two aren't necessarily linked and that you can be a vegetarian and perfectly healthy. You appear to have assumed we are trying to convert you. I can only speak for myself here, but I certainly am not. It doesn't matter to me what you eat.

orangebird
03-05-2005, 11:56
With what small knowledge I have of colitus, her being veggie is best - animal fats can seriously trouble an already fragile colon.

Anyway, back to what I was originally pointing out - Your sister is not ill because she is a veggie.

Chris
03-05-2005, 12:17
Good for you!

Applauding someone for refusing even to listen to a contrary point of view? That's not like you! But then I realised the significance of leather to your concerns. :p: :D

On the other hand, I suppose this lot, campaigning for enforced vegetarianism, does feed back into a discussion we were having in another thread last week about one group with a set of beliefs using various means to force their beliefs on others.

As for me, I eat fast food rarely, although I enjoy it when I do. I watched Supersize Me last week and can't say I was surprised at its findings, although it was highly amusing to watch.

And as for meat in general - whether I strictly need it in my diet or not, I have no plans to give it up. I like eating it.

allieyoung666
03-05-2005, 12:20
She was fine before she became a veggie. God nobody can have a point of view anymore.

Xaccers
03-05-2005, 12:20
I had a 64oz rare steak in less than an hour once, it was yummy

allieyoung666
03-05-2005, 12:22
With what small knowledge I have of colitus, her being veggie is best - animal fats can seriously trouble an already fragile colon.

Anyway, back to what I was originally pointing out - Your sister is not ill because she is a veggie.
How come her GP told to go back to a normal diet then? She had a blood test done and she was lacking in that many nutirents and vits, even though she was on them , he begged her to have a normal diet. Her hair is starting to fall out as well. That is a sign that something is wrong and lacking.:(

Stuart
03-05-2005, 12:28
She was fine before she became a veggie. God nobody can have a point of view anymore.

Yeah, but you said "she has been a veggie for 17yrs" and "She has had colitis for 12yrs". Now, I don't know your sister, so don't know wether she was healthy or not, but by my reckoning, she was a Veggie for five years before she had collitis.

Chris
03-05-2005, 12:30
I think discussion of Allie's sister and her colitis is edging us off topic, as well as being a source of potential conflict. Let's keep it pertinent and friendly, people. :)

Stuart
03-05-2005, 12:33

How come her GP told to go back to a normal diet then? She had a blood test done and she was lacking in that many nutirents and vits, even though she was on them , he begged her to have a normal diet. Her hair is starting to fall out as well. That is a sign that something is wrong and lacking.:(

Has your sister been scanned recently?

Nemesis
03-05-2005, 12:35
This really has nothing to do with KFC chickens .... either a new thread, or PM's please ...

allieyoung666
03-05-2005, 12:52
We know that!!!!! Blikin KFC and all that fast food tripe how can they call their healthy stuff healthy???

Halcyon
03-05-2005, 14:23
If anyone has seen the extra's on the Supersize me DVD, you will see that he left a pack of Macdonalds fries out in the packet on a table for one month.
A month later the fries were still in a perfect form and had not even began to degrade or breakdown.

It kind of sums up how much chemical prservatives there are in these !

Pierre
03-05-2005, 15:22
I think everybody is missing the real issue here.

How much longer is KFC going to torture us with those bloody stupid advertisements where people sing to each other, and now they've really topped it off with people trying to sing with their mouth full.

If I was the chief exec of KFC i would have whoever sanctioned this incredibly annoying tripe, put up against a wall and shot.

paulyoung666
03-05-2005, 15:23
I think everybody is missing the real issue here.

How much longer is KFC going to torture us with those bloody stupid advertisements where people sing to each other, and now they've really topped it off with people trying to sing with their mouth full.

If I was the chief exec of KFC i would have whoever sanctioned this incredibly annoying tripe, put up against a wall and shot.

surely the issue is the chickens not the adverts :confused:

Stuart
03-05-2005, 15:28
surely the issue is the chickens not the adverts :confused:

I think Pierre was joking..

paulyoung666
03-05-2005, 15:37
I think Pierre was joking..

sorry , it has been a long tedious day :(

Monster Jedi
03-05-2005, 15:57
I don't care what anyone says. "It's still finger licking good."

AndrewJ
03-05-2005, 16:07
Or is the management to chicken to do anything about this, and prefer to cluck cluck away and avoid the topic.

Raistlin
03-05-2005, 17:18
I just find it ironic that they've chosen to use Pamela Anderson for this message.

Pop Quiz Time:

Q: What is the link between KFC and Pamela Anderson (Note. any person making crude remarks about buckets will be told off quite harshly ;) )?

A: KFC Chicken Breasts aren't actually made of breast meat. They are actually reconstituted various other parts of the chicken, formed into a breast-shaped patty. Therefore they are "fake breasts", and that's where the link between the two arises ;)

SMHarman
03-05-2005, 17:58
A: Most Male KFC eaters prefer 'Breast' to leg?

paulyoung666
03-05-2005, 18:31
A: KFC Chicken Breasts aren't actually made of breast meat. They are actually reconstituted various other parts of the chicken, formed into a breast-shaped patty. Therefore they are "fake breasts", and that's where the link between the two arises ;)

how can they describe it as 'fillet' then :confused: , or am i just being a :dunce: :D :D

Raistlin
03-05-2005, 18:33
how can they describe it as 'fillet' then :confused: , or am i just being a :dunce: :D :D

Of course I could be wrong, but then the link wouldn't have worked as well ;)

homealone
03-05-2005, 19:11

strictly speaking a 'fillet' mainly means it is boneless. Where confusion can arise is where people think only one 'fillet' has been used to make something.

For example, buying a 'battered Cod fillet' from the chip shop, you expect it is a single piece of boneless cod, from one fish.

Fish fingers, however are cut from rectangular blocks of several fillets, from several fish, all frozen together. So inevitably a fish finger will comprise pieces of fillet from more than one fish. Some of our customers require their fish fingers are labeled to reflect this.

Then there is the 'forming' technology, where pieces of fillet (fish, chicken, whatever) are placed in a mould & subjected to pressure - the pressure momentarily defrosts the pieces & they all stick together in the shape of the mould, when the pressure is relieved.

The real dodgy area is where any minced flesh is used, as well as whole pieces - IIRC up to 5% can be mince, before it has to be labelled as such, and also where water is added by injecting polyphosphate or protein solutions, into the meat before it is formed.....

paulyoung666
03-05-2005, 19:15
thats that cleared up then :tu: :D :D

Tuftus
03-05-2005, 19:41
If anyone has seen the extra's on the Supersize me DVD, you will see that he left a pack of Macdonalds fries out in the packet on a table for one month.
A month later the fries were still in a perfect form and had not even began to degrade or breakdown.

It kind of sums up how much chemical prservatives there are in these !

Didn't some one else do something similar with a big mac but for a year and it was deemed edible other than the fact that the bun was a wee bit stale?

Could be an urban legend tho

allieyoung666
03-05-2005, 19:53
Yum Yum Yum, a year old big mac for my tea, I think not!!!!

Tuftus
03-05-2005, 19:55
Needless to say I tend to steer clear of fast food...

Its called fast for a reason - the rate it goes through you!

Jason1
03-05-2005, 20:02
Why stay away from fast food? from what i see it was a KFC farm in the USA where i would expect that to happen. Hoping maybe in vein that it doent happen here but how can KFC be expected to control a individual in one off its farms.

Tuftus
03-05-2005, 20:10
If I was to be brually honest, I much prefer my own cooking.

Mrs Tuftus and I make our own burgers, pizzas and KFC style chicken, it (IMO) tastes better, we knows what goes in it, its much cheaper and give me a feeling of satisfaction of a job well done!

allieyoung666
03-05-2005, 20:14
I must admit we make our own, we use organic and free range. There is a battery farm on the way to my sisters and boy does it honk!

Tuftus
03-05-2005, 20:17
A couple of friends of mine many moons ago worked at a place picking the eggs at one of those.

They did not stay long though needless to say.

allieyoung666
03-05-2005, 20:18
they are really bad even on a cold day you can smell it.

Tuftus
03-05-2005, 20:21
eeew!

Halcyon
03-05-2005, 20:22
You can get totally healthy fast food so that is not the problem.
I could make you a nice sandwhich which would be fast and use good quality bread, and fresh vegetable ingredients and a cooked free range turkey.
There is good fast food you can find if you look hard enough, or if you have time in the morning make your own.

Tuftus
03-05-2005, 20:24
You can get totally healthy fast food so that is not the problem.
I could make you a nice sandwhich which would be fast and use good quality bread, and fresh vegetable ingredients and a cooked free range turkey.
There is good fast food you can find if you look hard enough, or if you have time in the morning make your own.

I agree, that is precisely what I do, why pay over the odds when I can do a better job for way less money?

gary_580
03-05-2005, 20:33
KFC dont have their own chicken farms, nor do they have slaughter houses and nor do they process the chicken. The have other companies do that work for them, all KFC do is buy it, cook it and make a hideous mess in their kitchens

Xaccers
03-05-2005, 21:19
KFC dont have their own chicken farms, nor do they have slaughter houses and nor do they process the chicken. The have other companies do that work for them, all KFC do is buy it, cook it and make a hideous mess in their kitchens

Just as some of us thought, although if PETA went arounds saying "Farmer Jones mistreats his chickens" it would be pretty much ignored, so they pass the blame up to KFC, nice.

Anyone remember the email some years back claiming Kentucky Fried Chicken became KFC because they don't use chicken?
Instead they use GM chickens bred to have more body mass, no heads and kept alive via drips.
Last I heard KFC actually got the FBI involved to try and track down the source because so many stupid people believed it (but then, if it's on the internet it has to be true, right?)

Best one was back in the 70s when people believed McDonalds mixed worms into their burgers to save money.
Nothing McD's said would stop the rumour until the head turned round when asked about it at a press conference that it was a question of money, beef patties cost $1/lb, worms were $2/lb, it didn't make financial sense to mix worms up in the burgers, and the rumours stopped because no one could argue with that!

Mr_love_monkey
03-05-2005, 22:20
Anyone remember the email some years back claiming Kentucky Fried Chicken became KFC because they don't use chicken?
Instead they use GM chickens bred to have more body mass, no heads and kept alive via drips.
Last I heard KFC actually got the FBI involved to try and track down the source because so many stupid people believed it (but then, if it's on the internet it has to be true, right?)

I remember that one - also, if I remember correctly, the real reason they became KFC, was to avoid the word 'Fried' - so it wouldn't sound so unhealthy....

Xaccers
03-05-2005, 22:21
I remember that one - also, if I remember correctly, the real reason they became KFC, was to avoid the word 'Fried' - so it wouldn't sound so unhealthy....

And it helps reduce marketing costs and is international.
Apparently KFC is quite posh in Japan.

Theodoric
04-05-2005, 19:48
Chickens? I thought that KFC stood for Kentucky Fried Cardboard. :)

Graham
04-05-2005, 23:36
Not "Unlucky Fried Kitten"?! :eek:

Raistlin
05-05-2005, 00:12
Odd, I thought it was Kan't F****ng Cook.....