PDA

View Full Version : legislation to ban smoking

kronas
18-09-2003, 16:21
for once i agree with the EU :eek:

smoking could be banned in bars restaurants and cafes under possible new EU legislation by david byrne the EU health commissioner says....

the less smoking there is in public, in public places, the betterÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã‚Â.

†œThere is clear evidence now that there is a correlation between passive smoking and health related responses like disease,ââ‚ ‚¬Ã‚ he said.

i agree against a ban on smoking in public places why should i be subjected to a smokey atmosphere ?

http://www.eupolitix.com/EN/News/cd6f3bc1-4dce-4452-bdbc-e45530298b8a.htm

orangebird
18-09-2003, 16:35
Originally posted by kronas
for once i agree with the EU :eek:

smoking could be banned in bars restaurants and cafes under possible new EU legislation by david byrne the EU health commissioner says....

the less smoking there is in public, in public places, the betterÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã‚Â.

†œThere is clear evidence now that there is a correlation between passive smoking and health related responses like disease,ââ‚ ‚¬Ã‚ he said.

i agree against a ban on smoking in public places why should i be subjected to a smokey atmosphere ?

http://www.eupolitix.com/EN/News/cd6f3bc1-4dce-4452-bdbc-e45530298b8a.htm

And I'm willing to bet that, even using every members fingers and toes on this forum, there still wouldn't be enough digits to keep count of the amount of pubs/restaurants that would lose trade/go out of business....

kronas
18-09-2003, 16:38
Originally posted by orangebird
And I'm willing to bet that, even using every members fingers and toes on this forum, there still wouldn't be enough digits to keep count of the amount of pubs/restaurants that would lose trade/go out of business....

fair do's but i am against smoking in public places as it does have a detremental affect on me through passive smoking arguably you could just wait till your at home :shrug:

Nemesis
18-09-2003, 16:42
fair do's but i am against smoking in public places as it does have a detremental affect on me through passive smoking arguably you could just wait till your at home :shrug:

Where's the proof that passive smoking is detrimental to health. Last I read was that there was no link established between passive smoking and ill health.

No I'm not on a pro smoking soap box, I smoke and have tried giving up before, but I can't see the reasoning behind banning smoking in Public unless there is a defined link.

kronas
18-09-2003, 16:48
Originally posted by Nemesis
Where's the proof that passive smoking is detrimental to health. Last I read was that there was no link established between passive smoking and ill health.

if it was the same research i read then you should know that it was funded by the tobacco company the same compaines which didnt acknowledge there was a health risk when smoking at one time

Originally posted by Nemesis

No I'm not on a pro smoking soap box, I smoke and have tried giving up before, but I can't see the reasoning behind banning smoking in Public unless there is a defined link.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/1454981.stm

the above i would say is true as when i took smoke in i had trouble breathing and felt a tightening........

Nemesis
18-09-2003, 16:55
This is taken from that article ...

Researchers at Osaka City University Medical School in Osaka, Japan found passive smoking for half an hour dramatically affected the circulation of blood within the hearts of non-smokers.

Other studies have shown the risk of death from coronary heart disease is increased among non-smokers who are exposed to environmental smoke, by as much as 23%.

Anti-smoking campaigners in the UK are now calling for passive smoking in the workplace to be better controlled.

I have NO agument with this whatsoever. Smoking in the workplace should not be allowed. The space is confined and the environment would not be nice to work in. The information contained in the article showed a possible link.

Smoking in the street, etc is different, bigger area more dissapation. Most people won't smoke in shops, however for recreation and Leisure Smoking is still allowed.

Pubs, clubs and restaurants would frown upon a ban, they would lose clients. A lot have separate areas, and some have taken the stand and gone No Smoking, but the Majority are scared.

Defiant
18-09-2003, 16:58
No I think they should ban smoking all together. I'm sure we can find the £15 billion it makes in taxe's from somewere :)

Dave Stones
18-09-2003, 17:17
banning smoking in public places is a good idea *in principle* stopping everyone breathing in harmful tobacco and whatnot, but as its been seen in new york it just doesnt work...

kronas when you reaach the ripe old age of 18 try finding a pub in or around weckmondhike that enforces a non-smoking policy, i could practically guarantee you would be the only one there ;).

whatever happened to waht they used to do, and might still do for all i know, just having a separate area taped off for all the people who enjoy a good cancer stick in the restaurant etc? when those were around they used to make sense...

:shrug:

in bars smoking is part of the atmosphere though, especially in all the great old working mens clubs etc that serve real ale and whatnot...

as a side note i am all for public beheading for people who smoke pipes in public... :mad:

Jerrek
18-09-2003, 17:28
Although I don't smoke and I hate people that smoke in my face, I have a problem with this principle.

In Ontario, you are not allowed to smoke in public places. That includes libraries, work place, malls, and so forth. I agree with that.

Bars and restraurants are private establishments. It should be up to the owner to decide whether or not he wants to allow smokers or not, or whether he wants a mixed environment. The government is sticking its nose where it doesn't below.

HOWEVEVER, with a socialized health care system where I have to pay for everyone else, this makes a bit more sense. At this point I'm not too sure where I'd stand.

danielf
18-09-2003, 17:37
Originally posted by Jerrek
HOWEVEVER, with a socialized health care system where I have to pay for everyone else, this makes a bit more sense. At this point I'm not too sure where I'd stand.

Smokers pay the duty on tobacco don't they? Also, as they die younger, they actually put less of a strain on the healthcare system than people who grow very old and need constant care and attention.

downquark1
18-09-2003, 17:38
Originally posted by danielf
Smokers pay the duty on tobacco don't they? Also, as they die younger, they actually put less of a strain on the healthcare system than people who grow very old and need constant care and attention. I love that point:D

But before they die, they need several expensive operations

danielf
18-09-2003, 17:41
Originally posted by downquark1
I love that point:D

But before they die, they need several expensive operations

It's true though. Smokers are actually cheaper ;)

imback
18-09-2003, 17:51
Originally posted by Jerrek

Bars and restraurants are private establishments. It should be up to the owner to decide whether or not he wants to allow smokers or not, or whether he wants a mixed environment. The government is sticking its nose where it doesn't below.

Exactly my Canadian friend, this is my big problem with all this, business owners should have the right to make their own decision on this, and not be forced to maybe lose custom because they were forced into it.

Richard M
18-09-2003, 18:31
If they ban smoking in pubs I'm never going out again. :Peace:

Well a slight exaggeration but you get the idea. :D

Colin
18-09-2003, 22:35
I'm a smoker and have a mixed view on this. If it was the choice between going out and not smoking, and staying home and smoking. i think i would stay home.

I do also agree that passive smoking is harmfull, and that maybe there should be designated bars, clubs & resturants that are non smoking, but in the same way their shouldbe bars that are for smokers. Pizza Hut in my city has been non smoking for a while, and when it is suggested to eat there this is always a major factor in my decision.

Its a hard one, but i really dont think anything will come of it at the end of the day

Defiant
18-09-2003, 22:57
I'll go with that col d but from what I've seen of the pubs that already have designated area's well the designated area's are empty.

I rememeber when they had a designated area at work it in the canteen it was extremly busy. Always hard to find a seat in the area infact. Then the company decided the whole building was a no smoke zone and no bull the canteen was and still is dead. Also found it strange how the people that complained about the smokers up their are no longer going to it. Their following their friends to the places that allow them to smoke at dinner. The pubs !!

IE some anti smokers are just moaning idiots

danielf
18-09-2003, 23:05
They considered banning smoking in pubs in Holland, but decided against it as it was estimated it would cost some 40,000 jobs...

Colin
18-09-2003, 23:14
Originally posted by Defiant
I rememeber when they had a designated area at work it in the canteen it was extremly busy. Always hard to find a seat in the area infact. Then the company decided the whole building was a no smoke zone and no bull the canteen was and still is dead.

I've worked in a few placed that have designated smoking areas, but i still prefer to sit out side. They really are too stuffy.

kronas
19-09-2003, 14:38
im dead against smoking in public areas if im going to an establishment which serves food i dont want to eat it because it(potentially) may have smoke in it and then breath it because if im a regular im going to be affected at some point healthwise

if people want to smoke they can do it in the privacy of there own home

and it wont affect business too much as i doubt everyone is going to stop going to a restaurant or pub because of a no smoking policy where are they going to go if its a blanket ban ?

danielf
19-09-2003, 14:59
if people want to smoke they can do it in the privacy of there own home

and it wont affect business too much as i doubt everyone is going to stop going to a restaurant or pub because of a no smoking policy where are they going to go if its a blanket ban ?

They will stay in their home, and pubs and restaurants will go bust.

Edit: well restaurants not maybe, but pubs: yes.

kronas
19-09-2003, 15:03
Originally posted by danielf

Edit: well restaurants not maybe, but pubs: yes.

i doubt pubs would go out of business there are too many that drink in this country.......

some may though but in general i dont think so

zoombini
19-09-2003, 16:21
I have made my feelings on this matter very clear before so I wont go on too much, however I would welcome the change.

Not that I think it will actually happen.

Mind you I don't go to restaurants or pubs, I cant stand the smokey atmosphere.

Just this weekend I was at a local funhouse with the kids & some ignorant person came next to me & lit up, forcing me to move elsewhere. Perhaps I should have not been sat outside in the children's play area, its obviously a designated smoking place.