PDA

View Full Version : Work Related Question

LooeyUK
01-05-2005, 13:51
Does anyone know what the minimum amount of hours you have after working one shift and then working the next shift?

For example, i work till 10pm on a monday, and then im in at 9am the next day.

Is there a certain amount of hours i can have because i hate getting up for 9am the next day! haha

Raistlin
01-05-2005, 13:53
Something like that might come under the European Working Hours directive but you'd have to read through the directive to be sure.

The basic rights and protections that the Regulations provide are:

a limit of an average of 48 hours a week which a worker can be required to work (though workers can choose to work more if they want to).
a limit of an average of 8 hours work in 24 which nightworkers can be required to work.
a right for night workers to receive free health assessments.
a right to 11 hours rest a day.
a right to a day off each week.
a right to an in-work rest break if the working day is longer than 6 hours.
a right to 4 weeks paid leave per year.

So, finishing at 10pm and then starting at 9am would give you 11 hours rest.

Mr_love_monkey
01-05-2005, 14:20
a limit of an average of 48 hours a week which a worker can be required to work (though workers can choose to work more if they want to).

If I remember rightly, the average for this is worked out over a 28 week rolling period - though some places will ask you to opt out of it.

Tuftus
01-05-2005, 14:25
This like may be of interst -

http://www.hse.gov.uk/contact/faqs/workingtimedirective.htm

allieyoung666
01-05-2005, 16:43
I wish the agency thought like that, I did a night shift 9PM- 7AM and then was back on duty for 1.30pm the next day, I did moan but they do not really listen!!!

Nidge
02-05-2005, 02:37
You have to be away from your place of work for 10 hours I think.

scrotnig
02-05-2005, 02:54
The working time directive is utterly useless. Almost every single company in the UK now includes an opt out as part of the contract. You can opt back in, but you have to give the company six months notice, and you will usually find that being opted out is a condition of your employment...so opt back in and you get sacked.

It's the most pointless, toothless piece of legislation ever introduced. I really don't know why they bothered.

paulyoung666
02-05-2005, 09:53
complicated as well from what i have seen , where i work they have said that you cant work more than 14 hours a day , poofs :erm: :D :D :D

zoombini
02-05-2005, 19:23
The working time directive is utterly useless. Almost every single company in the UK now includes an opt out as part of the contract.

So thats why my employers sent round a form when it was introduced.

IT said something about we would obey the WTD.

We refused to sign it as it was law anyway.

Xaccers
02-05-2005, 23:47
To complicate things further, there are differences between shift workers and night workers too (something our company, which has an appaulingly crap knowledge of employment law, doesn't know about)