PDA

View Full Version : Paying for stuff in Euros?

Croker
01-05-2005, 10:05
Paying for stuff in Euros:

I bought some stuff in Homebase - plants and things. When I got them home I noticed that they had the price on them marked in Sterling and also Euros.

If I marched into Homebase with a bunch of Euros (over from holidays etc) could I just buy the things with that/them instead?

Xaccers
01-05-2005, 10:12
If homebase accept euroes, then yes, like in many burger kings in wales which I believe accept (or at one point did).
But then, if a company accepted chickens as payment then you could pay with chickens, it's really up to what the company accepts.
There's nothing in law (to my knowledge) that says they have to accept sterling only (I know many companies which won't accept bank of scotland notes)

What I would suspect is that UK homebase does not accept euros, but Eire Homebase of course does.
It's cheaper to print on one price tag then get two seperate runs of tags printed.

Russ
01-05-2005, 10:15
Euros are legal tender but the store isn't obligated to put prices in them at the moment.

Xaccers
01-05-2005, 10:27
Euros are legal tender but the store isn't obligated to put prices in them at the moment.

Is that legal as in dollars are legal, or egyptian pounds are legal, in that they can be accepted if the company so chooses, but they don't have to accept them.
Don't know any tills with euros on them

andygrif
01-05-2005, 10:30
What Xaccers said...I assume Homebase have stores in the ROI, so print one label for both countries.

Halcyon
01-05-2005, 10:53
Tesco currently accept Euros too.

OinkyBoinky
01-05-2005, 11:13
I work at debenams, and you can pay in euros there... actually tey accept a hell of a lot more than just euros lol:

Pound Sterling
Euros
Swiss Francs
Japanese Yen
Australian Dollars
New Zealand Dollars
US Dollars
Danish Kroner
Canadian Dollars
Swedish Kronor
South African Rand

How ever you can only use notes from foreign currency, and any change is given in pound sterling. if you wanted to be funny, you could try paying with a different not from each of them countries lol...