PDA

View Full Version : new samsung stb pix!!!

handyman
18-09-2003, 00:55
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mark.jone-junn/images/samsung/stb1.jpghttp://homepage.ntlworld.com/mark.jone-junn/images/samsung/stb3.jpg
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mark.jone-junn/images/samsung/stb4.jpghttp://homepage.ntlworld.com/mark.jone-junn/images/samsung/stb5.jpg

Will get better one tommorow with digicam not phone, samsung camera does not take great pix. But its real anyway :)

nighthawk
18-09-2003, 09:23
i need this........ the only non silver AV i have in my living room is ,y NTL box (now how do i get one :))

dialanothernumb
18-09-2003, 10:28
Is that a USB port on the back?

handyman
18-09-2003, 10:43
It is and a rj45 ethernet, The one to the right of the usb is labelled up as a port for diagnostics and the one to the right of the nic port is a power supply for extra devices.

jemnery
18-09-2003, 11:39
Can it be controlled externally? I.e. could it be hooked up to a PC and have the PC change channels?

trebor
18-09-2003, 11:43
if it's anything like every other piece of samsung technology i own it will be pants. I will NOT be rushing to get one.

handyman
18-09-2003, 11:49
your from billingham? trebor.

If so then you won't be getting one at all, they only work on bromley.l

Pritch
18-09-2003, 12:21
Originally posted by trebor
if it's anything like every other piece of samsung technology i own it will be pants. I will NOT be rushing to get one.

I'm told that they make quite good concrete pumps, though. I just hope the STB was designed by the concrete pump department, not the mobile phone with wobbly hinge and crashing software department. :rolleyes:

nighthawk
18-09-2003, 12:25
its a 32" samsung widescreen tv i have & it brill. never had a bit of trouble with it & the picture qulity is superb.

Salu
18-09-2003, 12:26
Originally posted by handyman
your from billingham? trebor.

Is Bromley a pilot then? Have you got one then or where did you see this?

Anybody know if they are rolling then out natioanlly?

handyman
18-09-2003, 12:29
I had it in my hands matey, Its bromley only due to the specs of the box, I would assume its to help with the issues surrounding cr3 and their box's. we have are testing cr3 on our langley box's and the feedback is promising, just a few minor issues to be ironed out before release.

Mal
18-09-2003, 12:30
Are these going to be just for new customers and broken stbs replacements only?

EDIT: I'm I on Bromley or Langley?

handyman
18-09-2003, 12:33
I have no idea I guess they will do the same thing as they did with the cable modems, Phase them into new installations. Then replace busted pace box's gradually over the next few years. Although they may just use them for problem customers.

Stuart
18-09-2003, 12:50
Originally posted by trebor

2 years ago, where I work, we got over 90 Samsung LCD monitors, and not one has failed. That is more than I can say for the 60 LG LCD Monitors we got at the same time. Two of them have had to be replaced.

Samsung are alright. I have a Samsung LCD at home and it is brilliant.

I want a Samsung box. The Pace one I have at the moment crashes everytime I try and access work's Virtual Private Network.

Shaun
18-09-2003, 13:15
I had it in my hands matey, Its bromley only due to the specs of the box, I would assume its to help with the issues surrounding cr3 and their box's. we have are testing cr3 on our langley box's and the feedback is promising, just a few minor issues to be ironed out before release.

A rough date Handy? Before or after Chrimbo?:)

handyman
18-09-2003, 13:22
After ,(cr3) 1st Q 2004.

Plus don't get interested in the samsung too much as its not for langley dell.

orangebird
18-09-2003, 13:23
Originally posted by Mal
Are these going to be just for new customers and broken stbs replacements only?

EDIT: I'm I on Bromley or Langley?

Bromley :)

Shaun
18-09-2003, 13:27
After ,(cr3) 1st Q 2004.

Plus don't get interested in the samsung too much as its not for langley dell.

I'm happy with my 4010, as long as it gives me a picture on the screen and doesn't melt the smart card I'm a happy chappy. ;P

So next year for CR3, do you think we may finaly get ETV for BB 5??:)

Edit - Thanks Handy, thats the first straight answer I've got out of Ntl on this issue, its a shame your going, their loss.:(

handyman
18-09-2003, 13:37
your bromley mal :)

Lord Nikon
18-09-2003, 14:18
NW UK EX CWC area? :D

would match the kenwood amp :D

Nemesis
18-09-2003, 14:21
Does it have an internal Fan ???

handyman
18-09-2003, 14:23
nopes, as posted by nigel s, its almost identical inside hardware wise to the pace ones, I guess the differences are mainly cosmetic and component quality wise.

Nemesis
18-09-2003, 14:26
So what benefits over the Pace models then ?

Stuart
18-09-2003, 14:28
Maybe it's Cheaper?

handyman
18-09-2003, 14:28
None that I know of as yet but its still in the early stages of testing, bb is supposed to be better and I assume thats the main reason behind the development of it.

[edit] plus everyone is screaming out for a silver stb!!

the jackel
18-09-2003, 14:36
The Samsung STBs will be used for both Installs and replacements however each BU will have a set amount of these STB's. And it will be at the descretion of the BU where to place these. There are already problems with the Samsung STB software (CR3) but these are very early looks at the Samsung STB's. I don't see these boxes getting deployed until 2005. CR3 for Langley is in Associate trial testing soon and is due for completion in November. So if all goes well it could be out before Christmas however it may be Q1 2004 as handyman has said, as the Christmas Platform freeze may restrict the rollout. handyman, I will try and get some photos of the box with my digi camera that i took the remote with.

handyman
18-09-2003, 14:49
that was my plan too jackel but it does not look like i'll be in today if the wasp bloke does not turn up soon, btw is ur cam a jenoptik 2.1 mega jobby? the one from computer world?

Though a bit low on resolution the pictures from the phone give a good impression of the look of the box :)

Plus I see the samsung being released sometime Q2 2004. After all its not even marked as a test stb. Just my guess but as soon as the software is fixed I think it will be deployed.

[edit] is it not associate trialling now? ;)

the jackel
18-09-2003, 15:40
no my camera is a Fuji Film FinexPix F402 - 4MB - remote pic was 2MB. The Samsung STB's can't even do broadcast pix yet so I think Q2 2004 is a bit premature but could be wrong. Associate trial hasn't started yet as far as I am aware as I know a few people who are in the Associate trial ;)

Salu
18-09-2003, 15:46
I would have hoped that the Samsungs would have been faster? It's painfully slow compared to Sky....

Pritch
18-09-2003, 15:47
Originally posted by Lord Nikon
NW UK EX CWC area? :D

would match the kenwood amp :D

If you're Ex-CWC, you're Bromley. Ex-anything else, Langley.

I'm sticking with my charcoal grey STB, matches everything else I've got, because my stuff is old and predates stuff being grey. :D

handyman
18-09-2003, 15:51
Originally posted by the jackel
Associate trial hasn't started yet as far as I am aware as I know a few people who are in the Associate trial ;)

*cough* So what your trying to say is we dont know anyone at the fmr with a langley cr3 ;)

dialanothernumb
18-09-2003, 16:27
Handy

Is the remote IR the same IrDA as the 1000 &2000 boxes or is it the more standard one (I have TiVo which requires a dongle to translate ordinary IR signals to the IrDA format for my 1000 box)

the jackel
18-09-2003, 18:35
*cough* So what your trying to say is we dont know anyone at the fmr with a langley cr3 ;)

;)

Lord Nikon
18-09-2003, 18:39
You know... not long ago I said that the samsung boxes were being prepared to roll out... everyone laughed....

Now the pics are here, they have been confirmed as being prepped for roll out. I said Q1 2004, this has also been confirmed as a possible roll out date....

:D

handyman
18-09-2003, 18:40
my guess is q2 nik, cr3 should be by q1,.

so close :)

trebor
18-09-2003, 18:58
Originally posted by scastle
2 years ago, where I work, we got over 90 Samsung LCD monitors, and not one has failed. That is more than I can say for the 60 LG LCD Monitors we got at the same time. Two of them have had to be replaced.

Samsung are alright. I have a Samsung LCD at home and it is brilliant.

I want a Samsung box. The Pace one I have at the moment crashes everytime I try and access work's Virtual Private Network.

samsung have now replaced our tv once and my monitor 6 times, yes 6 TIMES and both are still faulty. I have 2 dead samsung cd drives, 1 faulty stick of samsung memory, 1 non functional samsung phone and a broken samsung vcr.

samsung suck :mad: :mad:

Tristan
18-09-2003, 20:07
Originally posted by dialanothernumb
Handy

Is the remote IR the same IrDA as the 1000 &2000 boxes or is it the more standard one (I have TiVo which requires a dongle to translate ordinary IR signals to the IrDA format for my 1000 box)

The Samsung box will use the same remote as Langley boxes, that is, a blue 'new' remote.

BBKing
18-09-2003, 20:34

What about if you put them on a SACM only UBR? What do you call them then?

Bromley/Langley is a bloody stupid way of differentiating between platforms, for DTV call 'em DAVIC and DOCSIS. It's entirely possible that DOCSIS STBs will appear in currently DAVIC-only areas at an indeterminate date, it's not rocket science.

They do do broadcast, I've watched the cricket on one. Broadband had a few issues, and I haven't got one atm to test it now they've been fixed (although I will if someone turns their back in the office briefly). There are a lot of Korean gentlemen around the place getting busy on it, so it's definitely happening.

Lord Nikon
18-09-2003, 21:21
That would also be why the preliminary comments I had were that they would most probably be accompanied by a SACM for BB

KenK
18-09-2003, 21:37
we have are testing cr3 on our langley box's and the feedback is promising, just a few minor issues to be ironed out before release.

my guess is q2 nik, cr3 should be by q1,.

so close :)

So close? If I recall correctly, it was due out q1 2003! It's going to be a YEAR late, and there are STILL some "minor issues" to iron out ?? :( :mad::cry: Is this a fair depiction of the programmers :dmonk: ?

Lord Nikon
18-09-2003, 21:52
I think the so close was to my comment of Q1 2004

Richard M
18-09-2003, 22:08
nopes, as posted by nigel s, its almost identical inside hardware wise to the pace ones, I guess the differences are mainly cosmetic and component quality wise.

Great, so still stuck with a slow CPU and 4MB of RAM then.

Progress, NTL style - make it "look" better on the outside but still exactly the same crap underneath. :rolleyes:

handyman
19-09-2003, 16:51
Some dates for you of interest :)

Tues 23rd September
Associate Trialist STB's . To be flashed with CR3 code Bld 27 within Lab and distributed to 26 Trial Associates. (langley)

Wed 24th september
Associate Trialists to receive over air download to Samsung STBs.
(Bromley north east)

All means that both are iminent but gives no dates for a customer deployment of either products.

the jackel
19-09-2003, 17:55
Some dates for you of interest :)

Tues 23rd September
Associate Trialist STB's . To be flashed with CR3 code Bld 27 within Lab and distributed to 26 Trial Associates. (langley)

Wed 24th september
Associate Trialists to receive over air download to Samsung STBs.
(Bromley north east)

All means that both are iminent but gives no dates for a customer deployment of either products.

you getting the info out before you go?

handyman
19-09-2003, 18:00
Leaving, left mate. nothing further to do but drop in my headset and pass :(

Be a shame to go it will, You guys are some of the best people I have worked with (noted exceptions excluded).

All of the information I need is in my head anyways.

BBKing
20-09-2003, 11:18
Best of luck mate. Sad to see you go.

That would also be why the preliminary comments I had were that they would most probably be accompanied by a SACM for BB

What, because of the broadband issues? Doubt it, the issue was the same one that affected Ambit 200s*, it was fixed for those and they're able to be used for broadband so why not the Samsung STBs? I know SACMs are cheap, but they're not limitless. Anyway, I'll know better when I get one back, been like a blue arsed fly this week :)

*CM file wasn't compatible, tweak CM file, no problem.

themelon
14-12-2004, 07:36
I would have hoped that the Samsungs would have been faster? It's painfully slow compared to Sky....

I would love to know what Sky box you use?

Everyone always bleats on about how fast and great it is, but with the bog standard 'free' boxes everyone gets in many cases its as slow if not slower.

(Look at your services Sky+ which Is supposed to be better hardware, but it should be at £199 to the consumer!)

themelon
14-12-2004, 07:38

I dont ever think ive seen a good bit of technology from PACE either! I used their Sky Boxes too and they also seem shakey as hell!

Still nothing is as bad as those cheapo Amstrad Sky Boxes (Older Ones) urggghh

chienmort
12-03-2005, 23:36
Are there any specs for the Samsung Box? Anyone taken one apart?

Had mine for about a year. Broadband is better than Pace 1000/2000 but more prone to DCT errors (blocking). The fact that there is no phono audio out is pants. More bloody scart adaptors.

geminian68
13-03-2005, 00:04
Samsung SMT 2100C

This is the new digital cable box that NTL use on their UK cable network.

http://chrismi.com/pages/samsung/

BBKing
13-03-2005, 00:35
'new' being 'about two years ago', in this case. Watch this space for real 'new' boxes ;)

Mal
13-03-2005, 00:36
'new' being 'about two years ago', in this case. Watch this space for real 'new' boxes ;)
This only got resurrected as someone asked for pics of the samsung, on a different thread and I linked to this thread. :)

BBKing
13-03-2005, 00:41
Ah, ok, I can see people going 'OO WANT NEW BOX' not realising it's the same SMT-2100C that's been out and about for a while now.

geminian68
13-03-2005, 01:18

:Yikes: I just copied the top lines of the linked site, I didn't kow how old the box is.
Personally I've had mine for just over 9 Months.