PDA

View Full Version : Just bagged my first Munroe

TheBlueRaja
24-04-2005, 22:00
Went up Ben Lomond today on the shore of Loch Lomond in an attempt to bag my first munroe (a munroe is a hill with a height of over 3000ft) and im happy to say after walking uphill for about 2 1/2 hours i got to the summit.

Bloody knackered now though - but well chuffed, Ben Lomond goes to a height of 3194ft and is Scotlands southernmost Munroe.

Heres some pic's from the summit if your interested...

But im going to go off and crawl into bed to die if you dont mind. :p:

EDIT: BTW - the second one there - in the middle - the little white dot is a house..

homealone
24-04-2005, 22:18
well done

- we will probably be going to Aviemore, this year -although we won't do much walking, but, hopefully the funicular railway will be working, this time, & we can post some equally gorgeous pictures from the top of Cairngorm ;)

tick
24-04-2005, 23:05
keep it up there are lots.
Got about ten myself hard work but well worth the efort

Halcyon
24-04-2005, 23:43
Very nice photos there !!!
Its all worth it for the view indeed.

ikthius
24-04-2005, 23:46
you had an absolute belter of a day for it as well.

was it cold up there?
were the RAF out today? I love it when you climb that and the RAF fly by.
how was the car parking at Rowerdinnan? (spelling)

some colleagues and I are going to do the Cobbler in Arrocher sometime soon, in the next couple of months. wish us luck.

ik

greencreeper
25-04-2005, 01:58
So walking up a hill is good? Hmmm. Could I parachute to the top, and walk down? Would that count? If not, why is walking up special, but walking down not?

:p:

Well done - looks fantastic. Like walking myself but never have the time :(

Paul
25-04-2005, 02:03
You are completely nuts. :)

Give me a helicopter anyday. :D

Nidge
25-04-2005, 05:00

Me too :D :D

bopdude
25-04-2005, 05:15
Well done matey, despite what peeps may think, it takes some doing, I've done Snowdonia here and Mount Tiede Tenerife, now thats a strange one, sat there on a mound of frozen ice, in the sun, with :erm: thingy fumes belting out ..... (sorry, still drinking the ol' fire water ;) )

punky
25-04-2005, 09:48
Well done mate :) Awesome pictures!

some colleagues and I are going to do the Cobbler in Arrocher sometime soon, in the next couple of months. wish us luck.

Good luck mate. Take a digital camera or you'll have me to answer to when you get down :ninja: :)

SMHarman
25-04-2005, 10:07
Have any of you Munroeers (or whatever you call yourselves) thought of doing the WaterAid Munroe challenge?

http://www.wateraidmunrochallenge.org.uk/

http://www.wateraidmunrochallenge.org.uk/code/challenge.asp

TheBlueRaja
26-04-2005, 11:47
you had an absolute belter of a day for it as well.

was it cold up there?
were the RAF out today? I love it when you climb that and the RAF fly by.
how was the car parking at Rowerdinnan? (spelling)

ik

Yeah the weather was cracking - barely a cloud in the sky and only a little haze so we couldnt have picked a better day, the only bother was when you were exposed on both sides and the wind got up - pretty cold, but get in a sheltered bit and it was roasting.

Unfortunately the RAF werent playing that day - which is a bit of a shame but then it was great to be up there and have a bit of piece and quiet as well.

Car partking was fine, dumped the motor at the Hotel Rowerdinnan despite the warning signs saying "patrons only" and there were no problems on return (thank god).

I've never seen Loch Lomond look so stunning as it did that day.

Still, its Tuesday - the blister on my heel still hurts and im still stiff fromt he walk but it was well worth it and i will definately do it again.

Good luck with your walk - post some pics when your done. :tu:

altis
27-04-2005, 00:18
Well done BlueRaja - only about 276 to go :rolleyes:

And Bopdude too - at 3718m, Teide is Spain's highest mountain. I'm impressed. Perhaps we could start a CF outdoor chapter after all!

Here's a shot I took about 4 weeks ago. It's from the summit of Kebnekaise, the highest point in Sweden but it's only ~2100m. Andreas, my buddy for the day, said we could see clearly over 100km. The clouds on the horizon on the right are probably over the sea on the other side of Norway!

danielf
27-04-2005, 00:31

The mountain flight in Kathmandu was cool. See 7/10 of the highest peaks in the world from the comfort of your aeroplane seat :)

Seriously, well done guys :tu:

TheBlueRaja
27-04-2005, 09:18
Well done BlueRaja - only about 276 to go :rolleyes:

Hey i know, but thats the first one i've ever done - and i had not idea if i was even capable of doing it.

Now i know i am...

Chris
27-04-2005, 10:51
Went up Ben Lomond today on the shore of Loch Lomond in an attempt to bag my first munroe (a munroe is a hill with a height of over 3000ft) and im happy to say after walking uphill for about 2 1/2 hours i got to the summit.

Bloody knackered now though - but well chuffed, Ben Lomond goes to a height of 3194ft and is Scotlands southernmost Munroe.

Heres some pic's from the summit if your interested...

But im going to go off and crawl into bed to die if you dont mind. :p:

EDIT: BTW - the second one there - in the middle - the little white dot is a house..

You climbed Ben Lomond and you didn't stop at our place for a cuppa? I'm mightily offended, you drove right past my front door .... :p: (You might even have seen my rooftop from the summit!)

Were you inspired by the free map in the Sunday Herald by any chance? All the Munros were plotted on there.

I'm having a go at stitching your photos in Photoshop to make a panorama, but it looks like there's a gap between 1 and 2. Did you take any more? I've got 2 and 3 matched up quite nicely.

SMHarman
01-06-2005, 10:31
Thought I would add this to the thread,

It's in two Saturdays time.

http://www.munrochallenge.org.uk/code/apply.asp

http://www.munrochallenge.org.uk/code/challenge.asp

luftys
01-06-2005, 11:09

Well done :D
I do a lot of walking ,but that to only get away from the wife and kids,most up around Teeside :D
Still I do take the girlfriend with me :Yikes: :naughty:

aliferste
01-06-2005, 12:34
Went up Ben Lomond a few weeks ago........a good walk but was suprised when a bunch of runners.....er ...ran by. Some of them were a fair age as well....the ran from the bottom to the top in around an hour and then sprinted back down again..
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2005/06/38.jpg

dodgy photo....I know. Most of the people hiking up were in hiking boots and wrapped up.....at one point it started to snow.....all the runners had on shorts and T shirts :)
Made me feel like a right pansy. There was two american tourists who were very impressed thinking Scots do this all the time, told em I had forgot my trainers ;)

THEN while at the top some guy proposed to his girlfriend....took photos all round.

Very nice day :)

Chris
01-06-2005, 12:45
Nobody stops for tea when they pass by my gaff! :cry: ;)

TheBlueRaja
01-06-2005, 13:48
Nobody stops for tea when they pass by my gaff! :cry: ;)

Perhaps a big sign outside your house saying "Free Tea" would help :D

Went up Ben Lomond a few weeks ago........a good walk but was suprised when a bunch of runners.....er ...ran by. Some of them were a fair age as well....the ran from the bottom to the top in around an hour and then sprinted back down again..
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2005/06/38.jpg

I saw that when i went up - but admittedly i only saw somebody run down as opposed to up - rather them than me to be honest.

No way would i run up there, its too dangerous for a start, and lord knows how they dont go over on their ankles when they get tired.

danielf
01-06-2005, 13:49

Perhaps he should change his name to Chris Tea as well? :)

aliferste
01-06-2005, 15:51

I saw that when i went up - but admittedly i only saw somebody run down as opposed to up - rather them than me to be honest.

No way would i run up there, its too dangerous for a start, and lord knows how they dont go over on their ankles when they get tired.

I did see one guy twist his ancle when he tried to overtake someone by jumping off a dip in the road !

Chris
01-06-2005, 15:53

Maybe I should hang a Cable Forum logo out of the window, then only those in the know would come knocking. :D

Fell runners ... lunatics, every last one of them. :erm:

TheBlueRaja
01-06-2005, 16:33
Maybe I should hang a Cable Forum logo out of the window, then only those in the know would come knocking. :D

Fell runners ... lunatics, every last one of them. :erm:

I bet you get a few ambulances going past every so often...

Chris
01-06-2005, 16:36
I bet you get a few ambulances going past every so often...

Not seen any yet, but I expect there must be ... actually there was a fire engine last week, which is a bit worrying as it takes so long to drive up here, whatever it was responding to was probably already a total loss.

We also get the police (http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/40429.html) rather a lot. :erm:

altis
01-06-2005, 16:44
I remember once driving north along Loch Lomond when we were suddenly buzzed by a big yellow Wessex helicopter that had somehow snuck up quietly from behind. Jeeeez, I nearly had a heart attack. I guess it would have given them something to rescue though!

TheBlueRaja
01-06-2005, 17:00
Not seen any yet, but I expect there must be ... actually there was a fire engine last week, which is a bit worrying as it takes so long to drive up here, whatever it was responding to was probably already a total loss.

We also get the police (http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/40429.html) rather a lot. :erm:

How can they describe that as "antisocial behaviour"? There is a distinction between people making lots of noise and a drugged up loon from the weege (assumed due to him being from Lanarkshire) pinning a girl under his car.

Chris
02-06-2005, 10:04
The 'antisocial behaviour' is 30 neds getting swallied on Buckie at 2am, making enough noise to raise the dead (contrary to their belief, they aren't in deserted countryside, people do live nearby ;) :D ) and then departing, leaving a mountain of trash behind for the park wardens to clear up. The only saving grace is that a number of them seem determined to scoop themselves a Darwin award and their chavved-up corsas can often be found the following morning on their roofs in one of the several roadside ditches that nature has thoughtfully carved out on some of the nasty blind bends along their route home.

Some years before I lived up there, I camped at Rowardennan with some friends, on the edge of the car park near the youth hostel. The ned antics that went on outside our tent were unbelieveable.

TheBlueRaja
02-06-2005, 10:28
Some years before I lived up there, I camped at Rowardennan with some friends, on the edge of the car park near the youth hostel. The ned antics that went on outside our tent were unbelieveable.

For example... :D

(Those bends on the way back are nuts though your right about that)

Chris
02-06-2005, 10:32
For example... :D

TBH I was so scared to stick my nose out of the tent flap I have only the screaming, shouting, revving and bottle smashing to go on, and my imagination filled in the rest. Thankfully a fair old storm whipped up at about 2am so they all went home. Unfortunately the storm was so severe it destroyed one of the two tents we were using that night (the one the girls were in, so then they started screaming :D ).

TheBlueRaja
02-06-2005, 10:47
Sounds like a GREAT night you had there :D

ikthius
23-07-2005, 21:02
I done Ben Lomond today!!!!!!!!

I have some pics, not checked them yet.

I will make a wee website up for the pics, and I will post here tomorrow. the images are from the side of ben lomond nearest the loch going up then down the easy side that everyone does. Seen one runner and he was an arrogant sod.

My pics will probably show the same things but from different angles.

I am a wee bit tipsy as we went to the pub after and with hardly any food the booze got the better of me.

So I will post back tomorrow.

Oh my blisters hurt like hell.

ik

TheBlueRaja
23-07-2005, 21:09
I done Ben Lomond today!!!!!!!!

I have some pics, not checked them yet.

I will make a wee website up for the pics, and I will post here tomorrow. the images are from the side of ben lomond nearest the loch going up then down the easy side that everyone does. Seen one runner and he was an arrogant sod.

My pics will probably show the same things but from different angles.

I am a wee bit tipsy as we went to the pub after and with hardly any food the booze got the better of me.

So I will post back tomorrow.

Oh my blisters hurt like hell.

ik

Cracking day for it - well done matey - i bet your legs hurt now though :D

Looking forward to the pics :tu:

ikthius
24-07-2005, 20:19
Ok I have got my photos down to the computer after searching for the bloody usb connection lead.

I have made the site, But I am concerned about the sixe of the photos, I have not amended them apart from making a thumbnail for the main gallery.

what size do you guys think I should make the main pics?

ik

EDIT: Forget it, I just made them about 800x600.

Here is the pics, hope you all like. If anyone would like the full image please send either a PM or an email to me.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.kelly627/BenLomond/benLomond.html

EDIT: This is my second time walking/climbing this munro, first time I climbed it was back in college about 10 years ago

Angua
24-07-2005, 20:40
Some stunning scenery you saw by the looks of itDownload Failed (1)
Whats with the pink flowery hat BTW?

ikthius
24-07-2005, 20:43
Some stunning scenery you saw by the looks of itDownload Failed (1)

My Manager, the woman in the blasck top in the big group photo, brought that and she thought it was trendy, so we abused the trendyness, to rip the urine out of her, cause this is going to be shown to all the colleagues. :D

ik

Angua
24-07-2005, 20:48
My Manager, the woman in the blasck top in the big group photo, brought that and she thought it was trendy, so we abused the trendyness, to rip the urine out of her, cause this is going to be shown to all the colleagues. :D

ik

Probably the best thing to do in the circumstances :D:D:D

ikthius
24-07-2005, 20:58
Probably the best thing to do in the circumstances :D:D:D

I get ya.

ik

homealone
24-07-2005, 21:22
Some stunning scenery you saw by the looks of ithttp://www.emotipad.com/newemoticons/Score-101010.gif

ik

your manager looks very fit :drool:

the scenery is fantastic - and the photography good, too - I liked the change of theme with the little burn :tu:

ikthius
24-07-2005, 23:40
your manager looks very fit :drool:

the scenery is fantastic - and the photography good, too - I liked the change of theme with the little burn :tu:

that wee waterfall was at the start of the route we took going up.

We never went up the busy easy/tourist route.

Yip my manager can sometimes be very fit, but she is the type that knows it, and says she is happily married.

ik