PDA

View Full Version : Problem re-registering modem

smellygit
23-04-2005, 12:19
I've had an NTL cable modem (Terayon) for nearly 4 years, and have never had a username or password. To try and get one I've been told I need to go throught the autoreg process again to get a username and password. I understand that it's because my account isn't a SABS one because it's old. I've had several phone calls with NTL Customer Services and Technical services, and they've called me back twice today to sort it out.

The problem is that when I go through the autoreg process it tells me the cable modem is already registered. The CS guy said that he was doing something to enable me to re-register, but it doesn't look like it worked.

Will his changes take a while to filter through, or do I need to phone them again? I've power cycled the modem but to no avail. The people I spoke to are trying to help, but it seems like this is an unusual problem and so they don't immediately know what to do.

TIA

John

GazzaB
23-04-2005, 17:10
Hi John,
Although I left ntl six months ago I imagine the process has no changed much. I think the Mac 'Nuke' is what tech support are supposed to be doing. Otherwise like you said when you register then you will get an 'already registered' error message, if the nuke has not been done. If it is more than 48 hrs since you spoke to them I would call them again to check.

Gary

Chris W
23-04-2005, 17:30
GazzaB- things are indeed the same as they were six months ago :)

the nuke request will normally be processed within 4 hours, but can take upto 48- you will be called back when this has happened, but there is no harm in retrying the reg page every so often :)

smellygit
23-04-2005, 17:59
Thanks for the replies, I called Customer Services back a while ago and someone else talked about 'associating packages with my account' but can't do that till Monday. When they put my MAC address in their system they don't get any matches for it - which is a bit odd if it's already registered.

Lets see what happens on Monday!

millenp
24-04-2005, 18:36
This is familiar. I have a Terrayon, and broadband connection for 4 years. Trouble is, they never migrated my dial up account over to a proper broadband account - instead they physically connected my modem onto the network via a provisioning account and made an administrative link from my dial up account billing data.

The result is that everythinhg works fine - except I can't migrate on line because my mac address throws up an account error when checked by the autoregister page.

If I call tech services, they tell me they can't access my account from my mac address (no suprise there because it doesn't exist). The tell me I need to call customer services and get a pin number to register. So I call customer services, who can only see a dial up account, and are non plused as to how I get broadband at all - even though it's billed on my dial account billing

Got it so far?

Well you are doing better than NTL who created this bizarre situation and have not been able to sort it out in 4 years.

The only thing that bothers me is whether I will get overlooked when they do the speed upgrades - that will be another 3 hours on the phone trying to sort it out...

Trouble is 4 years ago, we were pioneering service, and they hadn't got the registration process sorted out.!

familymahone
27-04-2005, 17:55
your problem sounds strangely familiar, good luck hope you got it sorted as speaking to cs is like banging your head against the wall.

smellygit
27-04-2005, 19:02
Well, they didn't phone on Monday as promised, but today I got a 'Thank you for choosing ntl Broadband Internet' letter. It has another PIN on it, so I go to the autoreg page, put it the details, hold my breath, and get 'We are sorry but your order details are incomplete and we are unable to register your cable modem'.

The letter also says 'Our ntl engineer will bring everything ....' no one has arranged for an engineer to visit as far as I know, is some poor bloke gonna be knocking on the door at some point thinking he's installing a new modem?

Is there any point in calling CS again or should I just get ADSL ?

Chris W
27-04-2005, 20:40
If you PM me the PIN number and the mac address of the modem i will have a look at this for you.

smellygit
28-04-2005, 19:44
Thanks MB, it's all working now! I'm an NTL fan again :D

John.